big bass fishing

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
tears143
KING MACKEREL

Re: big bass fishing

Post by tears143 »

I fish for them from time to time. The main reason is because for me to fish saltwater, I would need to drive at least 1 hour and it usually is around 2 hours drive for me.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

I usually try for bass around march. When the rain starts pouring and they open up the dam. That's when thevfish are stack up right below the dam. Have caught my share of 6-10lbs from there.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Catching a bluegill and using it bait.

Tossing the bait into the running water and drift it back.
Tossing it into the eddy of the water(water moves in a circle) under a float.
Just keep on letting the water take the bait down stream and repeat. Once bait is really tire, just catch a new one.

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

I bass fish in Orlando often... Don't catch too many big ones though, they average around 3 pounds but my PB is 7 pounds...

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Any flood gate should work. The one that hasn't open a while and then just open are the best one. If the water been running awhile, most of the bass that is attracted to it probably is already been caught.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Don't be surprised if you end up with a tarpon or a snook btw... If you are using live bait, this is almost a certainty. There are websites where you can see which gates are open real time... I abuse that site! LOL Leads to big fish!

-swordfish

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

I do exactly the same thing swordfish lol. Usually the gate open after some heavy rain.

CSshorelinefisher
Fisher

Post by CSshorelinefisher »

Hey guys, I usually go bass fishing every weekend. I've only caught some pretty small ones lately, not even picture worthy. I only catch and release too. I almost always have luck with a Texas rig black zoom trick worm. Use a ultra light with 20lb braid and a 50lb mono leader. (also go after snakeheads too, hence the heavy tackle. plus easier to pull outta snags without snapping or cutting my line). I'm in Coral Springs. I fish some private lakes in Tamarac (only place I've had luck lately, plus my folks live there), the Hillsboro canal, the C-14, and Trade Winds park. Can any one point me out to a few good spots to catch some descent size bass from shoreline in So Fla? :reeling:
Stick your rod out, and wait for a nibble!

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

hey cshorelinefisher, head over to the"holey lands" on us27 at the broward county/ palm beach county line. lots of places to fish from shore. it will take you a few trips to start to learn the place, but well worth the drive. One good tip try to fish the canals as close to the STA 3/4 as possible, dont fish in the STA(illegal),

CSshorelinefisher
Fisher

Thanks, I'll check it out soon. Gonna do some saltwater fishing this weekend, see if I can't land some nice macks.

FloridaBoyFishing354
Fisher

Post by FloridaBoyFishing354 »

I'm new to Orlando and the UCF area and was wondering, does anyone know of any good bass fishing lakes or ponds near here? Keep in mind I am currently boat less

FloridaBoyFishing354
Fisher

Post by FloridaBoyFishing354 »

Is there any ponds or lakes in particular you know of? I'm right off university blvd and goldenrod rd basically 5 minutes from the school :reeling:

CSshorelinefisher
Fisher

Quiet Waters park has some pretty big bass there as well. A buddy of mine took his 5 year old daughter fishing there last month, and she landed an 8 pounder on a little barbie pole!!! Plenty of of 5 plus pounders there, catch and release only. :happyfisherman:

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

miguel456 wrote:A 7 pound bass is a big bass in South Florida,especially fishing from the shore.How did you catch your 7 pound bass?
I've caught 2 that size. One was on a zoom trick worm around the beggining of march and the other was during the summer on a zoom super fluke.

Ricardo
Fisher

Post by Ricardo »

CSshorelinefisher wrote:Quiet Waters park has some pretty big bass there as well. A buddy of mine took his 5 year old daughter fishing there last month, and she landed an 8 pounder on a little barbie pole!!! Plenty of of 5 plus pounders there, catch and release only. :happyfisherman:
Where in the park? I live in front of the park (Waterways) and I went there a bunch of time. All I've always catch there was small 1 or 2 pound bass. I would love to find out where you can get 5-8 lbs bass in the Waterways because it is extremely close to my house.

Ricardo
Fisher

Post by Ricardo »

miguel456 wrote:This is a +10 pound bass I caught last month.I released it as I do with all my bass.
I am trying to catch a big bass myself, but no luck yet ... I tried the Holey Lands, resting area of the Alligator Alley, Canals at the end of Hillsboro, Canals close to Atlantic and Sawgrass, but no luck :(

I also rented a small boat at the Sawgrass Recreation Park, etc ...

Maybe I suck at fishing big bass :) Any tips on nice location to catch them?

Ricardo
Fisher

Post by Ricardo »

miguel456 wrote:Ricardo,I will tell you the most important thing you need for consistently catching big bass and its probably not want most people think it is.The most important thing you need to catch a 6-10 pound bass or bigger from land is mostly 3 things-1.Determination,2.Persistence,3.Patience and lots of it. A big bass is a completely different fish than a regular bass.A big bass has been around and has learned to avoid fishermen and other predators very well.You have to learn the biology and life cycle of a big bass(where it likes to live, when is it most likely to be caught, and what type of prey/lure is most likely to eat).A big bass from shore(that is not spawning and on its nest-that is cheating in my book) is much more difficult to catch than 99% of fish most fishermen get on in both freshwater and saltwater so you have to be willing to accept that it is a big challenge to get them consistenly.It can be done though as long as you apply the 3 principles I gave you.
Some hints-1.Fish in heavy structure,2.Fish with large baits,3.Fish waters with large populations of tilapia,4.fish at night in places that are hit hard during the day,5.Fish before big weather changes.
So far I have caught 100's of 5 pound or better bass (from shore,no boat needed)using the information I provided you.If you need any more help write in this article or PM me and I will help you.
Thanks a lot for tips Miguel! Will keep trying :) I have to start fishing at night also ... something I have not done yet ...

Ricardo
Fisher

Post by Ricardo »

jettypark28 wrote:Look for areas that aren't hit or don't allow fishing then come back at nite and fish it...
Using lures for big bass is something else all together... unless you know what to feel for and how
to strike before she spits it out.. you are doomed...

Big bass got big for one reason... they are smart and know what to do and look for... IMO large worms in open water
and frogs in the weeds are my go too lures..

But if you really want a shot at big bass>>> then use live shiners...and you will lose plenty and at times not get any
big bass too hit... but live shiners will always produce in the long run... and if there is a big bass around that shiner
won't stand a chance...

Before anyone jumps on with crazy talk... :mrgreen: we have located Huge bass and throw lures at her... she would follow it
and leave it alone.. most of the time the smaller bass would grab it... but throw in a live shiner next to a big bass and she will
come out of the water to get it... :shock: can't tell you how many times I have seen this... and Yes I do fish with shiners at times..
but for some reason I want to beat my buddies at their own game and they prefer lures... :nilly:
Thanks a lot for the tips ! When you use Shiners, do you set them up with Bobbers and wait? Thanks in advance !

Ricardo
Fisher

Post by Ricardo »

jettypark28 wrote:Bobbers are great "If" you use them in the right area... if you use them in open water then be ready to lose some to gars..
don't get me wrong, I have caught some big bass in open water.. but what I also do is put a small split shot in the middle of the leader
and also use a really long leader... casting this setup from shore takes some time and practice.. but it does work but you also have to have
deeper water... this tends to keep the shiner deep and away from gars...

I like using a bobber and shiner in heavy cover and cast it into open area between the weeds/pads... but just like fishing with
frogs in the weeds... You better use Heavy line... I use 50lb braid and depending on the type of weeds I will also use balloons instead
of floats... just make sure to tie you balloons on tight... that way they won't float away once they pop from being drag into the heavy
stuff...

My prefer method for shiners from shore is just to freeline them and use them just like a lure... I let them swim a bit and gently pull them
out if they get into the weeds on me.... and I also make sure to switch them out and keep them fresh... they are killer in open deep water
when you see the bass hitting... Oh and you will know right away when a bass grabs them...

I free line them the same way I do for snooks... a 1/0 to 2/0 circle hook again depending on the size of the shiner... You want that shiner to
swim around freely... so keep your hook on the lighter/smaller sizes..

Cast it out and leave your bail open... move him by lifting your rod.. always keep your eye on the line and at times you will see the bass on top
chasing down the shiner... once you feel the line moving ... feed him line for a bit... point your rod at the bass... close the bail and sweep
your rod back... the bass will hook himself.... good luck :thumright:
Thanks! A lot of great information!

Went fishing with live bait earlier tonight, got a bunch of gar and mudd fishes, but no Bass :) Will keep trying ...

Ricardo
Fisher

Post by Ricardo »

miguel456 wrote:Ricardo go to C.B. Smith Park and pick one lake and fish it from sunrise to sunset. Use 3-5 inch tilapias for bait and freeline it close to areas of heavy cover or a area a couple feet after a steep drop off.It might not work right off the bat but the bass that will take a tilapia like this are quality bass,including the lunker bass you are after. When the sun is setting fish a Live Target Frog in the heavyiest Lily pads in the park you can find.Use at least 30-65lb powerpro for this type of fishing since the big bass WILL do its best to tie your line up to the stems of the lily pads.Sooner or later you will get your trophy bass you will see!
Thanks a lot Miguel! I will try to go there next Monday ! Thanks so much !

All the best,

Ricardo

letzgofishing
Fisher

Post by letzgofishing »

miguel456 wrote:This is a +10 pound bass I caught last month.I released it as I do with all my bass.

wow bro nice catch!! i see you from Miami, where you catch it at ?

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

very nice Miguelito :toast:

Ricardo
Fisher

Post by Ricardo »

miguel456 wrote:I caught this +10lb bass in a lake that is near my house.
nicepeacockandlargemouthbass.jpg
Very nice !!! One day I will get mine :)

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

oye Miguel post the yellow jack that is a beast ,you told me it was a while back who cares bro ,you beat me :mrgreen: my cell don't let me grrrrr I think its me lol.

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

miguel456 wrote:I wont post the pic of my 22lb yellow jack caught boatless,but the next time I get a big yellowjack off the beach I will post it in the spearfishing report section.
alright its your call your fish,I saw it soooo :mrgreen: you know I wonder how big do they grow ?going to google it

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”