BROWNS FARM AREA OFF US27 by Broward/palm beach line

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

BROWNS FARM AREA OFF US27 by Broward/palm beach line

Post by lkatze2 »

anybody have any experience or knowledge of the Browns farm area off of US27 by the broward/palm beach county line? was there this weekend but did not fish it, i heard it holds a lot of bass.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: BROWNS FARM AREA OFF US27 by Broward/palm beach line

Post by krash »

Fished there a few times years ago with a buddy.. pretty much need a boat of some sort to fish more than a hundred yards or so... many bass caught
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

yeah, did not see to many possibilities from the bank. i was thinking of taking my canoe with my small engine so that i could portage over the levees. i saw a small boat ramp about 3 miles up the levee from the big pumping station/spillway along 27

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Boat ramp is inland quite a ways inland from 27.. actually there used to be a launch spot where you could head either way, towards Lox or back towards 27.. I'd fish East-wards were I going back in.
At higher water levels it used to be nearly impossible to launch unless your vehicle was very high and water proofed.
Little pressure, many fish

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

Krash Thanks for the advice, the ramp that i saw is the one that is about three miles east of 27, but like you said you can only fish back towards 27. i am hoping i can portage my canoe over land so i can fish eastward towards lox, should be great since it is almost impossible to fish the eastward area with a "real boat". my canoe has a small gas engine so hopefully i can head east a little ways. hopefully it is a legal area. i fish the holey land a lot and am looking for new territory

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

first thing ssshhhhh

Okay, I recently discovered this area like two months ago. I have been doing quite well from shore near the far boat ramp and along the shallow area miles beyond. I've taken the road all the way past he dam , and until the fence at the end (3rd pumping station). you can't actually make it to backside of loxahatchee and Browns Farm. Around dusk you see crazy amounts of wildlife though. I've seen sh*tload of deer and one bobcat which I thought was cool.

Despute catching back to back fish, the only downsize is that the majority of bass were like half pounders with a few 1-2 pounders thrown in every now and then. its fun but not that satisfying. Kinda like chewing gum that loses its flavor after a while! I have seen lunkers, but maybe my lures/baits are two small to attract their attention. Also the fishing has changed now that the upper canal near the dam is not draining into the lower one. when that was happening there was huge schools of bass at the boat ramp area, but I went last weekend and it was dead for the first time.

Oh I have thought about going to real start of brown farm, but that would mean going up to belle glade and and back down south (old state rd 827) to the back of Loxahatchee. its looks untouched, but I would hate to go that far and a bunch of gates blocking me from getting a bass hole that might or might not be awesome. Any thoughts??

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

I do think this area has a lot of potential
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

hey firebforice, check your PM

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

i dont know, i cant count that high, i dropped out of elementary school LOL

firetiger
Weekend Warrior

Post by firetiger »

Heads Up!

The FWC patrols this area and will write you a courtesy ticket upon asking you to leave. I was threatened with a $500 fine if I should be caught again.

It is sad that the South Florida Water Management District has authority over so much good fishing area and makes it illegal to access. The FWC is responsible for patrolling these areas.
Tight lines!
Firetiger

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

When did it become against the law to fish there ?

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

The north side of the north levee is illegal, it is STA2(storm water treatment area), but you can fish the main canal that goes east towards the loxahatchee, just dont venture in any of the side canals that go north( it is a shame because the bass are big and plentiful in the STA's). I have been fishing it lately and been getting quite a few bass.

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Got ya, yep I knew thw STA was off-limits

firebeforice
Old Salt

Post by firebeforice »

I went to Browns farm yesterday for a quick afternoon of bass fishing. My normal spot near the drive-over/ tubes was taken by cane pole fisherman so I headed farther east down the dirt road. There really isn't to many "boat less" fishing spots because of the shallow shelf thats runs along the canal, but that same shelf makes it a great spot because bass like to hang out at the drop off. You can ankle wade or find deeper spots in the shelf too. be careful there is lots of gators out here

Anyways, so on one of my first casts and BOOM! I hook up with a big one right on the border of the shelf/drop off. This was my first bass at browns farm that actually had my drag running, but I was really was not expecting that. He ended up spitting my hook and I yelled out in disgust. It had more to do with me not paying attention than my tackle i think. So I fished the rest of the afternoon and only had 1 pounders and half pounders…..Overall its great area, but unpredictable because if the water is not running, the fishing sucks. Its a much better place in a canoe or boat though because you wold have better access to the shallow shelf. So if anybody reads this, don't go the fishing is terrible :jester:

By the way I'm a using a lake fork shad with a circle hook. i don't rig them weedless because i like the jiggle. They are a great lure but expensive: 5 for like $6.50

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

hey firebeforce
you got big cajones, i saw a lot of gators on that shelf, mostly small ones. a few weeks ago the water was about two feet higher on the shelf and there were bass hanging real close to the levee, all small ones. but you are right if you can get a small johnboat or canoe you will do real good. there are a few places where you can launch a canoe or small johnboat

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”