Proper Popper Presentation (5x fast)

This area is for Boatless Fishing Freshwater Help and Info.
Bonesy
Fisher

Proper Popper Presentation (5x fast)

Post by Bonesy »

So, recently I've discovered that I love poppers. You can lay 'em out in a variety of terrains without too much of a threat of snag, they make a great sound and cause several different species in the area to stir. Here in Broward the Peacock Bass love them.

But, in the past month I've lost two in trees to BS casts and I'm a little bitter about it. :stupid:

My question is, am I fishing the right places?
I haven't done research or anything, but I try to place them just along the shore, but sawgrass or other foliage. And I'll usually let them sit in more open water if I can spot moss underwater.

Has anyone had success with topwaters or poppers in more open waters?

I dare not give up on the noble Hula Popper :nopity:

LINESIDER
Old Salt

Re: Proper Popper Presentation (5x fast)

Post by LINESIDER »

loosing lures is part of the game.. dont quite fishing cause that..those heavy cover spots usually hold fish.. make lure retrieval pole..retractable paint pole..

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Post by phillybass »

I use them around structure mainly. If you have weeds that equals bass. If you get hung on moss twitch it a little especially if it goes under water on the moss. I have hooked up on hogs that way they think it is a frog hiding in the weeds.
Tight Lines and Burning Drags!!!

aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Post by aha14750 »

I like to fish plastic frogs texas rigged whenever there is any sort of cover. I think the action is just as good and if I lose a frog and a hook I'm only in the hole $1.50 :cheers:

Try the "walking the dog" style lures in open water. Those things get crushed

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Most freshwater fish aren't really open water type of fish. They're going to be looking for structure. Odds are there won't be anything in "open" water. If you do get a strike in the middle of a canal, it's most likely because there is submerged structure that you just couldn't see. This is most common when it's fairly shallow or vegetation grows up from the bottom. If it's a huge canal like the C-14, don't bother fishing the open water. Just stick to the shoreline for you best chance.

Consider losing lures part of the game. If you're not getting close you're missing opportunities. If you're prospecting an area consider a gamakatsu EWG hook with a zoom super fluke. You can catch almost anything with them, including peacocks and saltwater fish (snook, cudas, etc). They're relatively weedless, and if you lose one it's like 50 cents down the drain. Once you know where the fish hold you can come back with your expensive topwater lures.

Bonesy
Fisher

Post by Bonesy »

Thanks guys,

I've fished the Texas Rig numerous times in the past, and for whatever reason never became attached to it. But recently I lost a Rat L Trap to a submerged log I didn't see coming, and I WISHED I was using a texas rigged worm or a jig instead. I just need to get comfortable presenting them in a realistic way I guess.

I just love using those topwater lures because of the action they get if their fished right :twisted:

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

Try a senko with a 3/0 EWG gamakatsu. Cast out and let it sink into the depths. Keep your eye on the line, once it moves sideways set the hook! It's a good weedless way to fish the bottom and bass in FL love em.

Return to “Freshwater Help and Info”