SSP 4/30 quick fishing after work (image heavy)

Boatless Fishing reports for the Hillsborough County - Tampa Area - Also the countys of Citrus - Hernando - Pasco - Pinellas - Manatee - Sarasota - Desoto
tears143
KING MACKEREL

SSP 4/30 quick fishing after work (image heavy)

Post by tears143 »

Been working too hard these past weeks, so decide I need a reliever and I went home early from work. Drove out to skyway and got there around 5:45pm. The water was really dirty from all the wind and it is pretty windy out there. It was outgoing tide and is pretty slow due to the north/west wind. Using my trusty jig that will catch almost anything. After a few cast and felt a hit. Bam fish on and the fish started to surface right away. Damn ladyfish. It unhook itself. Fish a little more and nothing... So I attached a piece of fish bites for smell because of the dirty water.

Change side and fish a bit and boom! Fish on! This one was staying down so it probably isn't a lady fish. I drag his ass to the surface and caught this fellow.

By this time the slow outgoing tide has now switched to incoming. The tide still isn't moving much so, I just keep on walking around and cover more water. Jig, jig, and jig. Got a hit here and there but felt like it's ladyfish that hit it and then let go instantly. I then got a weird hit... and when pulling it up... it felt kind of weird... heavy but doesn't run. Got it to the surface and saw that a few of his buddies was following him.
This is the fish. Spadefish

This time, I added frozen piece of shrimp to the jig instead of the fishbite. Jig it a bit then bam! This one doesn't want to come up. Runs pretty decent. Thinking it must be a good fish but probably not a pompano because it didn't tried to high tail out of there. Drag it up to the surface and got it on the bridge. Not my first time catching this type of fish with this jig.

Switch side again and now the tide is moving much better on the incoming. Doesn't seem like much is on the deeper part of the channel so I fish shallower. Jig it a bite and bam. This one is staying down as well and the running was weird. Haven't felt too many of these run. Turn out to be a nice flounder which I invited home for dinner. (Sushi!)

By this time, the sun is almost setting. I just continue jigging at that the spot that I catch the flounder, there might be his buddies around there as well. Then all the sudden Boom, fish on! It stayed down just like the flounder, swim kind of like it as well. I must catch his buddy but much better because it won't move on my pull. Then sudden it started pulling like crazy, I was like WTF. Thank god I just spool this extra spool with 15# braid and didn't use my usual 8# set up. pulled under the bridge and it was still going and going. I caught a glimpse of the fish but wasn't sure what it is. Thought it could be a bluefish as it's shiny silver and isn't round as a permit or pompano. Fought it for a while and finally it surfaced. I just got jack! There was his life time buddy of him swimming with him. Even when I drag the fish to the rock to land it, it still follow pretty close to the rock. It won't leave the hooked fish side.

By this time, I got a good work out with this fish. I toss the jig out a few more time and jig, jig and jig. Probably on the third or 4th time, got another hard hit and knew it was the other big jack that was following the hooked one. It took me for a ride as well. I landed it but it broke my line and fling my jig somewhere. I fish a little more but nothing else bite except of ladyfish. I ended the night around 8:20pm. Not a bad few hours of fishing.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: SSP 4/30 quick fishing after work (image heavy)

Post by baseball4life702 »

I'd take that few hours anyday. What was the first fish it's hard to tell from a top down view? And southern flounder are flipping delicious enjoy!

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

catfish

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

That's what I thought I almost said small cobia with the flat head but I saw the fins and was like nahh lol

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

Those flounder looks just like our fluke here in the NE part of the country...I remember when I lived in Tampa as a kid and caught some of these, I actually had presumed I was catching fluke (I'm from the NE and was/is used to catching fluke, but lived on MacDill AFB as a military dependant for 4 years)...

Return to “Central West Florida”