Fish Quest - Novemeber 24 2011

This is area is for Boat Caught Fish reports and Pics, understanding that we sometimes fish on Boats please post this type of report and pics here
sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Fish Quest - Novemeber 24 2011

Post by sepaik »

As with most of these trips the anticipation was high and there was lots of preparation. Lot’s of bait, tackle, bait and also did I mention bait? We had plenty of bait. Frozen Speedo’s, Mackerals, a few bullet Bonitas even a Ribbon Fish. We loaded up with fresh never frozen Goggs and Blue Runners from our secret spot as well as fresh bally’s. The weather seemed to be looking up the week before the trip. Forecasts called for sea’s at 2-3 and we were freakin excited! I know I was. However, the days just before our trip a cold front was moving in and the seas picked up. Seas possibly at 4-6, maybe higher. A decision had to be made to cancel the trip and reschedule or make the best of it. The Captain said the trip was a “Go”, so we decided to go for it.

We left at about 3am and headed down. We filled up a 100qt cooler with about 10 dozen live Pins on the way down. I took an aerator from my fish tank at home and hooked it up to an inverter and an extension cord.

When we arrived at the dock we started loaded all our gear and bait. There was a huge walk in freezer filled with ice and we stocked the boat with ice as well. The live well was small but manageable. The Captain arrived after the boat was loaded and advised us that the Tortugas was off, were heading to the Marquesas due to the weather. We were kind of expecting that.

We arrived at our first spot after a 3 hour ride. We trolled most of the way up getting some Mackerals on the way. It was at about 60ft. This was a sight!!! I have never seen anything like this in my life. There must have been thousands of bait fish all around us. Cero’s and Kings were sky rocketing 20 feet into the air and dive bombing into the bait balls. The birds were going crazy and so were we. I dashed for my spinner. I threw on a little butterfly jig and tossed it about 150ft . I spun and twitched that jig like a topwater bait and had a cut off with in seconds! I threw another one on and managed a Cero.. Adam threw on a topwater plug and he too was cut off. In hind sight we should have taken the time to put wire on but the frenzy was just crazy and I just wanted to get a bait into the water. Captain was screaming get some chum in the water!!! But no one wanted to stop fishing to throw chum. We had a few hours of non stop action. The sea’s were relatively calm 2-4ft and we anchored at this spot for the night. Chum finally went over board and a few nice 4-5# Strawberries, a few Kings and Cero’s came over the rail that night along with a couple of 6-7 pound Muttons and Tails.

The rail was at about my knees. No higher. The padding was worn and by the end of the trip my knees were raw. When the boat rocked it was a bit scary hoping that I wouldn’t fall in. Especially when the sea got rougher. The deck was very slippery. I ended up fishing in wet socks to get a little traction cause my crocs weren’t cutting it and going barefoot was worse.

The next day we moved to about 100 ft. More chum and lot’s of tails came over as the Captain screaming get your flat lines out there’s yellow tail back there. I really wasn’t there for Yellow tail. Adam and I mostly bottom fished. He brought in a nice 15 # black.. I brought up a few Strawberries and Rockhinds. As the bite slowed I gave in to the flat line and brought in my share of yellow tails as well.
Day three I flat lined a ballyhoo on a 3 hook rig. It got slammed! A smoker King which ended up to be the big fish of the trip 33#. Adam rigged a yellowtail to the bottom and hooked a nice amberjack about 30#. Joey brought in a 11# mutton.

The night bite was non-existent. We anchored in the “Key”it was between islands out of the weather We were able to find a few small grovers barely keepers until the catfish moved in and it was all over and off to bed.

We did catch a lot of fish, however never found the Mutton bite. We ended up with three Muttons total. Lot’s of Yellowtails, Groupers and a few Kings.

The Captain was very nice, he liked to talk a lot and cooked up a nice grouper meal for us on the second night.

I know I’m missing a lot of the details. This is second time I’m writing this because this site timed out on me when I submitted it and I lost all I wrote the first time. Maybe Adam can fill in on some of the details I missed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Re: Fish Quest - Novemeber 24 2011

Post by sepaik »

More pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

jeronimo
Weekend Warrior

Post by jeronimo »

Sounds like a good time

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Some real nice flags there but no surprise as that is Pauls calling card. Given the weather I knew it would be scratch fishing for you guys and glad to see you did well. Winter is tough for the muttons and always depends on breaks in the weather.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Nince report guys :toast:

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

fishnfool73 wrote:Some real nice flags there but no surprise as that is Pauls calling card. Given the weather I knew it would be scratch fishing for you guys and glad to see you did well. Winter is tough for the muttons and always depends on breaks in the weather.
I guess they don't call him yellowtail Paul for nothing....LOL :salut:

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

When the muttons aren't chewing nothing wrong with some 3- 5 lb flags. I have made many a slow trip up with some good eating flags. They may not have been your primary target but beats nothing. Shocked you guys didn't limit out on red grouper though
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

englishadam
Seasoned Fisher

Post by englishadam »

fishnfool73 wrote:When the muttons aren't chewing nothing wrong with some 3- 5 lb flags. I have made many a slow trip up with some good eating flags. They may not have been your primary target but beats nothing. Shocked you guys didn't limit out on red grouper though
I'll post some more info tomorrow, the captain was just as shocked as you, he had 22 reds the weekend before we didn't even catch one red over 19" the week before he was fishing Rebecca Shoal also, we couldn't get anywhere near it Friday was 5-6 and Saturday by midday was pushing 6 to 8.. We also ended up breaking off two anchors on the trip fun times!

Was still a great trip and Capt Paul is an awesome guy.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Great outcome guys way to pull em in!!

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

You guys came back with a lot of fish and that is what counts... Nice flags in there and that is a sweet eating black grouper. Looks like you had a blast with the sky rocketing ceros and kings. On the last trip one almost hits Ricky on the face, LOL....If I am not mistaken during the same trip we did with Yuri they also went to the Marquesas while we went to the Tugas. I wonder, could it be because of the boat?

:toast: :toast: :toast:

sepaik
KING MACKEREL

Post by sepaik »

Rijkaard wrote:Nice trip and pics guys, if it was on our crew no chum would have been needed on those rough seas :lol: :lol: :lol:
:uplol:

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

Great report and very nice flags!!!
:toast:

Return to “Boat Reports and Pics for EVERYWHERE”