Yankee Capts Halfway Ledge 7-12-18 Awesome Times!

This is area is for Boat Caught Fish reports and Pics, understanding that we sometimes fish on Boats please post this type of report and pics here
cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Yankee Capts Halfway Ledge 7-12-18 Awesome Times!

Post by cudaman »

It is always a tedious process to put together a fishing trip a year in advance, yet I always love looking forward to the next. Being a Charter Master isn’t something easy but it’s fun and it’s where my fishing trip starts. Many got on the trip, many dropped off due to new jobs or family issues, others because of health issues and so on. But finally in a crunch of a few weeks we were able to get all replacements done and as always with the exception of once, we found all great people to fish with.

I started collecting bait very late as I had many family outings that preventing me from going in the search for bait on a daily basis. I usually start one week before the trip and load up on as many fresh baits as possible. This year it got tough I looked for goggle eyes and spedos but was only able to get a few goggle eyes and a few baby bonitos. That was not a problem as I was planning on jigging in the daytime and using baits at night time only. Below is my bait setup at one of the local piers and before you ask there isn’t a specific pier where you can get your bait, you must visit all of them and then when you find the bait you go there as often as possible.
Before I loaded up the car I made sure to include 3 pitch rods, 2 bottom rods, and 3 jigging rods and one of the jigging rods to double as a heavy grouper rod. The Capt had contacted me through the office as he was out there fishing and told me to bring heavy weights as the current was very strong. I notified everyone and was glad I did since some times I needed to use 2 pounds to keep my bait on the bottom, but vertical jigs of 200 grams and up were no problem to hit the bottom.
We got to the boat and as always it was on to the Hogfish Grill for a nice Hogfish lunch and a drink. Once lunch was over it was back on to getting the boat loaded. Sorry for the pic below it is not meant to offend anyone but its towards Captain Rare who on the last minute made us all look for a replacement. I know he was glad to see this picture. He was missed as he is always part of the fun.

With everyone there all the trucks, cars, and vans were parked it was time to go on this adventure.

While on the boat, we all got together upstairs and talked about the plans and giveaways of goodies donated by Osage. Everyone got a bag with 3 items or more in them, randomly given to everyone of the fishermen. Plus a white hat in case they needed one.
We got there early morning and the bite started. Here is William with a nice Red Grouper.
Jordan with a Mutton Snapper.
I hooked up a decent Scamp Grouper on the slow pitch jigging depot jig right before sunrise.
Eugene hit it hard with this nice Porgy.
I kept on the slow pitch jigs and hooked up on this Amberjack that was released.
Dan got a nice Red Grouper while jigging.
I saw some top water action so I threw an H4L Wingman to get me this nice Black Fin Tuna.
Alex got this Grouper pool winning Fire Truck Red Grouper.
On Jose’s first trip he hooked up nice on the Red Grouper as well.
Well, morning have to start with nice fishing and a nice breakfast right? So here my my custom breakfast by Chef Chad. Here is his menu.

https://yankeecapts.com/yankee-capts-galley/
The day went on slowly but surely, Robert hooked up another nice Red Grouper.
Double hook ups triple hook ups were still seeing around noon.
Dan got a Nice Scamp Grouper right before we drifted into sand and the the Slippery Dicks started to show up.
The Red Grouper kept on coming I think just about everyone got a few of them or even their limit.

As I kept on and off with the slow pitch jigs I hooked up another Blackfin Tuna.
Another nice Scamp Grouper this time by Robert.
Robert did great with the slowpitch jigs and his 10 bucks plastic squid, here he is with a nice wahoo.
The Shake and Bait double D’s Dan and Dan also did great vertical jigging all styles.
As you know all good things must end, it was our last chance at fishing and we we got to the spot it was filled with hundreds of Barracudas and Amber Jacks, but William was able to get through them and catch this last mutton of the trip. after that it was home bound.
And what a way to enjoy it with a nice beer, meal, new and old fishing buddies! Even if there were a few name callings, a few screams for getting lines crossed, a few “HEY who drank my Gatorade? In the end we all ended up smiling and drinking the night away on the way home.
When we got back to the dock it was only a short wait to get our fish. The totes were overloaded with them and we had had a nice sleep before we got to the docks in the morning.
Here is Donald who won biggest Snapper with this about 14 pound Mutton Snapper.
Not only did he win the pool for biggest snapper but also a nice goodie bag with the Havana Club Rum donate by Captain Rare and Churchill cigars donated by Osage.

Here is Robert again with biggest fish. He also won the pool for biggest fish and a goodie bag with a Stag knife, braid tantrum, Yo-Zuri Chrystal 3d, and detachable rod butt.
Below is Alex with biggest Grouper. He won a bottle of 12 year Old Flor de Caña Rum donated by Suarez Liquors located at 799 West 29 st Hialeah FL 33012 and Churchill cigars donated by Osage.
Mario got a goodie bag from donations by Osgage and my self. This was for catching the first grouper.
Victor got a goodie bag from donations by Osgage and my self. This was for catching the first Mutton Snapper.
Robert got a goodie bag from donations by Osgage and my self. This was for catching the first and only wahoo.
I hope you have enjoyed the report. It was awesome fishing with you all! Keep your lines Tight and until next time!

And my apologies to Captain Greg for getting so loud on the last day while coming back home, but we threw a party to celebrate our success.

A great thanks to:

Captain Greg for making this trip affordable to all of us.
Osage for donating the vast amounts of items for the giveaways
Captain Rare for supplying the rum for our celebration and for biggest mutton
Suarez Liquors for supplying the 12 year old Flor de Caña rum for biggest grouper

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Re: Yankee Capts Halfway Ledge 7-12-18 Awesome Times!

Post by Miami_Chris »

Rare and Imran, we need you dudes out there next year.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Herbert,
So very cool as usual. Dude that's a serious load of fish. Lots of Red Groupers and loving those BFT. Hungry right now

Thanks for sharing. :cheers:
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

:toast: :toast: :toast:

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

Great report like always Herb. Sucks I missed the trip, vacation was fun and well needed though. Will be out there next year for sure, matter of fact put me on the wait list right now. Bunch of solid fish caught. Great work fellas

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Miami_Chris wrote:Rare and Imran, we need you dudes out there next year.
I hate to cancel or say no. But I had too..... This year im out of 5 DT trip and 2 cay sal, bahamas. It is what it is and hope to join the group again next year.
ilovefishing wrote:Great report like always Herb. Sucks I missed the trip, vacation was fun and well needed though. Will be out there next year for sure, matter of fact put me on the wait list right now. Bunch of solid fish caught. Great work fellas
What waiting list? You are one of the pioneer of this trip. Pass go and collect your ticket! (tommy

Nice write up of the trip, Bud! Thanks Rory for the Tuna- You know I had a nice meal for 2 days... Taking a mutton from Herb's cooler was a mission...but it got done!

Also, thanks for the group pic of the finger! :cheers:

keepinitreel
Seasoned Fisher

Post by keepinitreel »

cant wait till next year unless u guys want to get another trip in this year :)

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Rare wrote: Nice write up of the trip, Bud! Thanks Rory for the Tuna- You know I had a nice meal for 2 days... Taking a mutton from Herb's cooler was a mission...but it got done!

Also, thanks for the group pic of the finger! :cheers:

Thanks bro you can get fish anytime I was just messing with ya!

I only caught 9 muttons on this trip and gave away 5, I caught 6 blackfins and gave away 3, caught 5 groupers and gave away 2, one dolphin gave away half of it, and a porgy that I kept. This was a fish give away trip for me as it always is, LOL

Return to “Boat Reports and Pics for EVERYWHERE”