need some pointers surf fishing at Vero Beach!

(Date your Titles) This area is so Members can post the area they may be fishing if it is a public place, "don't post private spots" and other members can fish on by. They could also PM you to keep it not so loud.
Louie
Fisher

need some pointers surf fishing at Vero Beach!

Post by Louie »

On vacation for a few months here in Vero Beach.First time surf fishing. If you know the Vero beach area well I Would greatly appreciate your help with dirrections and suggestions. I drove along A1A and couldn't find the public access points. Ended up on private property most of the time?

Thanks
Louie

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: need some pointers surf fishing at Vero Beach!

Post by permitchaser »

Go to Sebastian Inlet ,if the fish are there you will see none stop action ,everything artificial works there spoons ,lures ,jigs amazing place ..
Last edited by permitchaser on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Thanks, will head that way tomorrow.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Louie dont take your eyes off of your gear i hqve heard lots of sticky fingers there

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Appreciate that pointer!!!

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Just want to say thank you guys for your help.

I was out yesterday driving around A1A finding nothing!
This is really great help for someone new to the area!
Looking forward to hitting Sebastian Inlet tomorrow.
Louie

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Live shrimp off the Jetty this time of year should get you some good action. Was there a couple of weeks ago and the inlet was stacked with mullet. When the blues run thick there anything with a hook will work. If you are looking to surf fish, there are plenty of beach access points from Vero going north towards the inlet. The pomps were doing well when I was there but cut clams is what they preferred. Should be a good north swell in the water the next couple of weeks. Good Luck. :reeling:
Fish Crazy

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

I tried finding those points north of Vero but couldn't find them! Kept running into private property. Of course I don't know the area being here only 2 days. I actually got lost heading south and ended up in Avalon. It was perfect, parking right off A1A and a short walk to the surf. I'll try surf fishing there too. Surf was really rough though.
The inlet looks more fishable! Going to try artificial lures first and see what I can reel in. My Kids up north in Virginia are waiting for pic's of Dad's first catch at surf fishing:)
I'll be sure to let everyone know what happens tomorrow.

Thanks

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

you can drive 20-25 mins south to Ft. Pierce state park there's a jetty there people catch mutts, flounders, snook and other regular fish.. there's also the Seaway drive bridge in Ft. Pierce there are areas you can wade when the tide its low. I know people catch trout and snook there.. if you drive further south to Stuart in Martin county, there are like 3 bridges and the intercoastal areas you can fish. WHen you drive by you won't miss the people fishing there. Finally last thing I know.. surf fishing for pompanos are great in the Treasure coast (probably like everywhere else in south florida), talk to the locals most of them are friendly.. good luck

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

That sounds perfect. Ft Pierce is now also on my hit list'!
My mission these next few months is to fish, fish and then if have any time left over fish some more:)
Can't wait to hit all these places.
Thank you.

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

To everyone, a big thank you!. Found Sebastian Inlet. Wow, Really great place to fish.

Today I became an expert at loosing lures. Snagged about 30 bucks worth of lures in about 15 min, but that's all part if it! Didn't catch one today but I'm heading back tomorrow with live bait this time.
Louie

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Like I said, get yourself some live shrimp. :reeling:
Fish Crazy

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Should have listened! But guess where I'm headed tomorrow, that's right, to the bait shop:)

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

Winter time, it's better to us shrimp. Dead or alive. Bunch of black drum being caught at the end if you want to fish elbow to elbow with the local. Some of them nice, while other are....

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Shos & Tears, you guys were right. Shrimp!! Went to :Mom & Pop bait and tackle and that old guy gave me the scoop on even how to hook the shrimp. Caught my first Pampano:):) I wanted to have it mounted but it was only 10" lol.lol.
People at the end of the pier were catching 15 20 pounders!
As always the big one got away! Hooked something that pulled out half the line on the spool. People came around saying, that's a big on, that's a big one. It got off and when I checked the line it had straightened out the hook? I'll be back there with steel hooks tomorrow.

Having a blast.

Thank you for all the help and information!

Louie

shos260288
KING MACKEREL

Post by shos260288 »

Glad to help, hope you get that pig red next trip out.
Fish Crazy

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Welcome Louie. Try google Earth to figure out how to access parking areas. Should save you some time.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

great idea, will try that!

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Today it was pouring rain and a bit cold and I thought, what a great day to go fishing!. Been fishing at the Inlet for the last 4 days. Amazing what people are catching there. Red drum, snook are just huge. I caught several pampano, whitting, small shark, small sting ray, but still waiting patiently to snag one of those monsters!
It seems like its ramdom. 30, 40 lines in the water and wham, someone gets lucky:).
GrandPa Louie is waiting for my turn:):)

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Wanted to give everyone an update.

I have found so many places to fish. From Sebastian Inlet, Vero Beach to Ft. Pierce. The fishing is endless. Caught just about everything, hammerhead shark, sting rays, Pampanos, makerel, puffer fish, Your help and suggestions were very appreciated and they worked well!
Haven't caught that monster red fish or snook yet, but I will soon.

Next venture is to fish for bass in Lake Okeechobee. If anyone has or knows someone who has a open back seat, I'll be glad to pitch in for gas etc. I'm flexible time wise so weekends or during the week will work as well.

Thanks again
Louie

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Finally, It happened! Caught 2 Black Drums, 1 was 17 Lbs and the other 7-8 lbs. Also caught a 7Lb Pampano...What a thrill to haul in these big boys at Sebastian Inlet.
By far Sebastian Inlet is the best in-shore fishing place in this area!
Thanks again for all the input and helpful hints.

Louie Cruz

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Louie wrote:Finally, It happened! Caught 2 Black Drums, 1 was 17 Lbs and the other 7-8 lbs. Also caught a 7Lb Pampano...What a thrill to haul in these big boys at Sebastian Inlet.
By far Sebastian Inlet is the best in-shore fishing place in this area!
Thanks again for all the input and helpful hints.

Louie Cruz
Good job there!!! I was in northern inlet 10-12 today too with Jared...
7LB pom is one of my dream fish... :thumright:

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Caught the two black drums and the 42" red drum on the North pier with live shrimp. Caught the 7lb Pampano on the South pier also with live shrimp. Still hunting for that monster Snook...soon, soon:):)

Louie

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I saw you on the report ...lol

Louie
Fisher

Post by Louie »

Pretty cool. My kids saw the write up and think I'm a famous fisherman now..
ha,ha lol.

Return to “Where are you fishin'?”