"Northern" Florida

This is the area where you may introduce yourself and let others know a little about you.
Empty Handed
Fisher

"Northern" Florida

Post by Empty Handed »

Hello all - I am new to the forums and as my name describes it I am looking for any great tips on catching fish, I am from Wisconsin and now living in Florida. I am great at fresh water fishing. (Walleye, Pike, Musky) but this salt water thing is ... New to me, other then throwing out some sand fleas, shrimp, or mullet that have been frozen solid I am clueless. I have found that every time I go to try and buy live bait in my area there in none available so I just bought my first cast net and have been getting live bait recently. Still not sure how to use it but I am learning, (The bait and cast net)

I have been reading through your post and most of it seems south Florida geared. Any North Floridians here that might have a good spot? I have tried the Daytona and Flagler Piers. Had a little luck but nothing great. Mostly small sharks or whitey. I am not picky I just want something bigger then a pan fish :reeling:

Thank you all for reading and any advice is appreciated.

Best regards,

Roger

phillybass
Seasoned Fisher

Re: "Northern" Florida

Post by phillybass »

Welcome to the forums. I'm not sure about up there you might want to try for Macks though there are a lot of post on fishing for them.
Tight Lines and Burning Drags!!!

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I'm going to be in the Jekyll Island, GA area for a few weeks starting this weekend. I've been trying to do my internet research and considered driving up as far as SC or down as far as Daytona in search of some decent fishing. From what I've read, this time of year is just kinda slow. You're looking at trout and reds but mostly in the rivers at this point since the temps are dropping, and sheepshead along the structure. It's been like 6 months since I've seen saltwater so I'm going to get some fishing in but I have low expectations. I think the most notable fishing in these areas is probably the bull red migration that happens around November. From what I can gather there are tons of huge reds all over the beaches.

Throughout the year you might get on some macs, kings, pomps, reds, trout, sheepshead, whiting, croaker, tripletail, cobia, sharks, and tarpon.

I'm waiting for the water to warm up so I can head down to Navarre Beach in the gulf. From what I can gather the kayak fishing is pretty good in the area. Main thing is to get out there and pay your dues, talk to the locals, and discover what's biting when.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Anytime the red and sheepshead are in numbers you can get some flounder.
Find some mud minnows or small finger mullet. Find some jetties and other drop off points

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Return to “Who are you? Introduce yourself here:”