Middle Keys Fishing Reports

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
Rare
SHARKER

Re: Middle Keys Fishing Reports

Post by Rare »

k5523915 wrote:
when are we going bridge fishing again tho? my friends been catching permits out there on channel 5, isn't permit season closed right now?
It's been closed since May 1 untill July 31. Im more off shore than inshore for now. If not, its solo trips or just with the buds when they have time. Too many things going on to make a trips like before. You didn't give this fish away to others? Im not putting you down but i will trade all of your fish for 1 of israelmachado247. Congrats on the catch. Its no different from when i catch red grouper. I will trade for muttons or other fish. On 1 trip, i traded, Rob 2 reds for one of his big fat porgy.! Hit a few spots on long key and you will bring them up all day if they are there that size.

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

Lol Nelson no sir not that time,, it was an old picture i kept them all until i found out there are better tasting fish to keep.. yeah i feel you, i''d trade 10 yellowjaks for one Porgy and even a snapper.. YJ are fun to catch, sometimes they eat my crabs and those are the really big ones pushing 15,20 lbs.

but that sucks man, i wish we do another trip, i am 5 years away from doing offshore trips need to save some money lol

Averring
Fisher

Post by Averring »

Whatsup, I'm new here. Just went to the long key bridge last night with a good friend from about 1am to 5am and the fish there were very pleased, we fed them live shrimp, cold spanish sardines and squid. we caught and released 2 small grunts, a small mangrove snapper and a yellowtail. I wonder if nighttime is usually a good time to fish? the moonlight was not shining and we were wearing lights on our heads so i wonder if that scared the big ones. they were biting all night tho, but i guess it was the lil ones. all in all, i realize that its not about catching fish but about being out there and enjoying the moment. although i dont think ill be doing any more night trips cause im exhausted.

buddyg125
Fisher

Post by buddyg125 »

Averring wrote:Whatsup, I'm new here. Just went to the long key bridge last night with a good friend from about 1am to 5am and the fish there were very pleased, we fed them live shrimp, cold spanish sardines and squid. we caught and released 2 small grunts, a small mangrove snapper and a yellowtail. I wonder if nighttime is usually a good time to fish? the moonlight was not shining and we were wearing lights on our heads so i wonder if that scared the big ones. they were biting all night tho, but i guess it was the lil ones. all in all, i realize that its not about catching fish but about being out there and enjoying the moment. although i dont think ill be doing any more night trips cause im exhausted.
First guys great catch I want to get out there

I don't know about the others but I prefer nights, but in a full moon or half, the lights shouldn't matter, another reason is that you get to hide from the sun and heat, try to catch some sleep when the bite is down, I have caught myself sleeping on traffic light on my way back home, i live in Miami so the drive is long, best thing to do is to take a nap before leaving

Hititfromthebank
Fisher

Channel 2

Post by Hititfromthebank »

Whats up fellow anglers! I'm fishing channel 2 this Saturday morning, thinking of arriving right before day break. What bait should I take? I was thinking of taking a few crabs, pin fish and some shrimp. I'm looking to test out some new gear I just got, what do you guys recommend I do? I've never fished this bridge before. Thanks! :reeling:

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

i dj at woodys al weekend at night. i may pop in to see ya.. i didnt bring bridge gear this time... i just have rods bucket net and whatever tackle is in my backpack but enoughto snapper or YJ fish.... maybe ill come meet you for a bit.. hell i dont even have my bridge cart and one cooler full of food only lol

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

not much sense in dipping crabs yet if you ask me.. permit season is over til the first... live shrimp. troll rites and some lead heavy enough for bottom....4-10 ounce sometimes heavier on 2 it rips hard. also squid is always good. chum bag and sabiki for live baits. of course bait well

Averring
Fisher

Post by Averring »

buddyg125 wrote:
Averring wrote:Whatsup, I'm new here. Just went to the long key bridge last night with a good friend from about 1am to 5am and the fish there were very pleased, we fed them live shrimp, cold spanish sardines and squid. we caught and released 2 small grunts, a small mangrove snapper and a yellowtail. I wonder if nighttime is usually a good time to fish? the moonlight was not shining and we were wearing lights on our heads so i wonder if that scared the big ones. they were biting all night tho, but i guess it was the lil ones. all in all, i realize that its not about catching fish but about being out there and enjoying the moment. although i dont think ill be doing any more night trips cause im exhausted.
First guys great catch I want to get out there

I don't know about the others but I prefer nights, but in a full moon or half, the lights shouldn't matter, another reason is that you get to hide from the sun and heat, try to catch some sleep when the bite is down, I have caught myself sleeping on traffic light on my way back home, i live in Miami so the drive is long, best thing to do is to take a nap before leaving
thanks for the tip brother. yeah i live in miami as well and its definitely dangerous to be half asleep.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Channel 2

Post by fishnfool73 »

Hititfromthebank wrote:Whats up fellow anglers! I'm fishing channel 2 this Saturday morning, thinking of arriving right before day break. What bait should I take? I was thinking of taking a few crabs, pin fish and some shrimp. I'm looking to test out some new gear I just got, what do you guys recommend I do? I've never fished this bridge before. Thanks! :reeling:
Live shrimp if and that's a big if you can find them big enough to use jig head or split shot and fish then at first light for yellow jacks. Sabikis in # 3 red and green as well. Hit the pilings you see the thread fins for bait. Other than the threadies may be ballyhoo or small jacks around for bait. Leave the chum and squid as home in my opinion. Squid is only good for grunts tropicals and short snapper. The current is too fast for chum and is a waste unless you know the tide and channels to target keeper ytails. Tube lure worked on slack tide works for cudas.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

most of my keeper muttons have been on squid.... its strange but true... on the drift boat, at the pier, and on the bridges... just seems to work.

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

Maybe for you not for me.its like BOLO says if you have confidence in a bait or technique that works for you go with it but if you don't have confidence it will never work for you. I've caught hundreds if not thousands of muttons and can't recall more than a handful being on squid. I'll stick with gogs and ballyhoo.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

i've always caught my muttons with live shrimps and dead sardines...... i've also heard many people caught them with squids and hoos especially down in the keys...

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

i use both and im not arguing the point.. just sharing that i have caught most of my keepers on squid... its weird i know but its true....:P hell now doesnt matter much since they have to be 18 heh.. ill be fishing for them from the new boat offshore:)

zpunancy
Seasoned Fisher

Post by zpunancy »

funny you guys talk about baits for muttons . There use to be this guy who fished long key ( could have been someone from the forum for all I know ) and he would use live pin fish and he would cut off the dorsal fin and then he would scale his pin fish yes scale them and he fished it on a super long fish finder and he would do really well on mutts . Super weird but it worked for him

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I'm a huge believer in squid. If I'm cheap for the day I bring out a box of squid and I floss tie a whole squid to a circle on a long leader and I do very well with them on the muttons, very very well. That being said I usually prefer a fresher bait because they last longer but I wouldn't ever hesitate putting a whole squid on a long leader

fishnfool73

Post by fishnfool73 »

I fish the same baits on the bridges for muttons as I do in the Tortugas whole ballyhoo whole thread fin whole or half gogs but then I don't have to measure the ones I catch

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

hmmmmmmmmmmmm how do you rig your ballyhoos?

GetFish
Seasoned Fisher

Post by GetFish »

Heading out to Long Key tonight if anyone's going out there. It'll be my first time out there, hoping I figure it out.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

lk is overwhelming so much ground to cover... bring a cart and toilet paper and extra bucket hahah

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

the Permssss are on LKey :happyfisherman:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Nice Raul!!!

Here we go MR. permit chaser!!!

Snapperfanatic1828
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snapperfanatic1828 »

Now, those r 2 perfect eating perms! Nice raul!!!

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

ill be going out this weekend a little bit after work...

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

permitchaser wrote:the Permssss are on LKey :happyfisherman:

:toast: :dude:
Awesome!

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

anyone fishing in the morning?? im gonna head out around 6 after work for a couple hours

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

no permit this weekend but hey ill take these.... also missed a monster that popped my 30lb flouro lol.... but hey it was a good weekend
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

dinner with lobster mac for two... and then lunch and then dinner again ... fish tacos baby

Snapperfanatic1828
Weekend Warrior

Post by Snapperfanatic1828 »

Awesome....id take that menu anytime!!! Nice yj's tho!

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

if i had a partner i coulda had one more he came up with the second one and by time i rerigged sabiki they were moved out... but yeah ill take those.. had to be 5 lbers not sure but i got a lot of meat... other than that it was dead out there 7 til 2pm

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

thank you boyz :toast:

nice mix bag Jerry for d tacos chiuwawuaaa :happyfisherman:

Return to “Monroe County”