Dry Tortugas

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
Leadslinger
Old Salt

Dry Tortugas

Post by Leadslinger »

I'm stationed down at DRTO for the foreseeable future, instead getting mixed in with the lower keys reports I'll be using this to post reports. It's windy as heck right now, and has been and looks to continue for a few more days so fishing has been a no go so far. Hoping the wind shifts around tonight and I'll get out for a while. Lots of snapper just begging to get hooked.

swordfish
SHARKER

Re: Dry Tortugas

Post by swordfish »

Best job hands down!!! Pretty happy for ya!

-Swordfish

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i'll be over at the fort in june
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Thanks Juan, I'm digging it so far...I'd kill for a cold beer though lol. Left mine at the apartment in Key West doh!

GK, just drop me a message man, I'm here 10 days and off 4. Pretty sure we can link up.

Caught a few jacks tonight off the dock, more or less was just out killing time but the resident jewfish and bull shark made an appearance. That's a big effin jewfish dudes. Saw some pretty good sized cuda and tarpon swimming around and something was busting baitfish hard off the north coaling docks...out of range :nilly:

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Use a little balloon brother... get out there to em!!!!

-swordfish

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

last time i was there i saw kings tearing up the bait along the mote
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Went out yesterday and fished about an hour on either side of sunset. Jacks and Mangroves, it's pretty awesome to watch your bait and then see a quick flash before the strike, using very light tackle makes the jacks a lot of fun, suckers really like to dart for the pilings but with a little pressure and they'll come right around for you.

Tarpon. Good lord at the tarpon! Came in around 8:45 in a mass wave, no less than 30 just gulping air and hitting some minnows that came in just before. Had a few chasers and 3 hits but no successful hookups using topwater (chugs) or terroreyez.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

man i loved it lastyear when i went down there its like nowhere else ive ever been

i mean the grover were so solid it was stupid and it was like every grover was 15 it was great i didnt do much serious fishing beside just messing with the grovers
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Well they're still here buddy, gonna bring down some different gear after my off days to target them a little more. We are hoping to get out and fish the drops within the fishing zone soon once these winds lay down a little. Of course with the forecast for midweek the water will be churned up for awhile.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

We'll come visit before you know it Danny!

Pictures boss, keep us updated!

-swordfish

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Haha, wouldn't ya know I forget two things before coming over...camera and beer.

Spent last night just relaxing on the dock and tying up some rigs. Got some wired twisted up for the barracuda that loves to cut me off, so hopefully I'll tie into one of those fellas soon. Should be a fun fight on a 2000 series haha.

cudaman
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by cudaman »

Nice reports man, thanks for keeping us updated. :toast:

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Grunts, Lanes Mutton and YT Snapper yesterday off the boat in about 40' of water within the 1 mile radius fishing zone. Simple bottom rigs, Carolina style with squid and cut bait. I was limited on my fishing since I only brought light gear, but the YT were a dang blast on light tackle. Friend tied into a gorgeous mutton, that came back to the dock with us and will be making a dinner appearance.

I come off tomorrow so y'all save me some pompano.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

We are living vicariously through you! PLEASE do NOT forget your camera once u go back to the rock!!!! Also, my boss is in the works for buying a 30 foot whaler, so you may see us there soon, I would like to pick your brain about rules and regulations! Hit me up when you hit terra firma.

-Swordfish

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Let's catch up, after a few hectic days and a nasty little stomach bug I picked up on my off days I've finally got settled back into a routine...work all day while thinking about fishing, then going fishing. Lately the dock, where I do most of my fishing has been overrun with folks fishing for sharks, which makes it damn near impossible to target Tarpon or Barracuda without getting caught up in all the lines. So instead I've been working on the snapper and sometimes grunts. The mangrove bite has been good, actually switched over to using Fishbites (shrimp) to try something different. Haven't used the stuff since I was a kid fishing for spots in the Carolinas, seems to last a bit longer now before dissolving into a pink goo. Though my patience might have something to do with that. I've some Gulp squid that I plan to try as well out of curiosity. Think tonight I will toss some Savage and VuDu shrimp out under a cork to see who's hungry, hopefully it'll be one of the 'poons.

With the winds we haven't been able to venture out to do any boat fishing, hoping that'll change and I can chum some YT's up and break in the new rod/reel.

Hey Sword, I brought the camera but during the trip it powered on and took a couple hundred pictures of the inside of my suitcase. So....ha!

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Well... was the suitcase in Dry Tugas? If so then its Tugas suitcase pics... Anything with Tuga is good!

I WILL definitely see you down there before you know it. Boss settled on a 32 foot Century! Not only that, but once we bought the boat, well he needed to move it, so he bought a brand new GMC Denali 2500HD to pull it too lol!

We take delivery of the boat tomorrow, I figure before the summer is out, we'll plan a trip down to the fort for a visit!

-swordfish

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

swordfish wrote:Well... was the suitcase in Dry Tugas? If so then its Tugas suitcase pics... Anything with Tuga is good!

I WILL definitely see you down there before you know it. Boss settled on a 32 foot Century! Not only that, but once we bought the boat, well he needed to move it, so he bought a brand new GMC Denali 2500HD to pull it too lol!

We take delivery of the boat tomorrow, I figure before the summer is out, we'll plan a trip down to the fort for a visit!

-swordfish

hey if you pick good weather i'll run my boat overthere with yall
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

That sounds like a plan GK! That way youre we're not alone, the more the merrier I always say! There is plenty of fish to go AROUND! The boat can handle her own well, but really, I have no interest in being bounced around! Man I wanna see the red rise out of the sea once more... I loved that sight!

-swordfish

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Dangit, my reply vanished!

Sword those are some real first world problems man, having to buy a new truck to tow the new boat...some peoples problems lol!

Come on down brother! GK can follow and let y'all knock the waves down through the channel.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Went out tonight for some grouper scouting with the season being around the corner. Tried a little spot that turned into a dream. Red after red after red. Most flirting with keeper size and I tied into a monster, a proper fish to break in the new combo. Hoped to get him on board for a photo but his teeth found the leader just as I pulled him out of the water. Freedom!

Some smaller YT and one fish that I've yet to figure out. Looked muttonish but didn't have the marker. Cero macks were around as well but I didn't go after any.

Just another day in paradise.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Yeah brother! Lets see some PICS! Take a tour of the fort and share with us, etc. That place brings back lots of memories! We used to run in there when the weather went too sour for our 34 foot Crusader to handle.

-swordfish

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Lol I scrounged around and found a disposable camera, got some "touristy" pics on there I'll try and get up once I'm off island. If there is still places to develop those things haha.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

So we went fishing around this time

We caught a bunch of these 14-20"

And 2 of these 26 and 27"

And a crap load of grouper (day early!) Season opens here today, so it'll be a few days before we can get back out.

Used cut ballyhoo and some cut up Blue Runner. Diced up some scraps real small and kept a steady stream going off the back of the boat. Brought in a few fish that I couldn't ID, similar to a spade fish in shape, and a few Barracuda or Mackerel. Didn't bother trying to catch them since the YT bite was steady.

Hey, Sword, y'all about ready to get that boat wet yet?

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Nice! Working out the kinks... I think I may have to take her to Bimini first, since it is a shorter trip. Tugas is tough in the sense that you are truly out there with nowhere to go replenish ANYTHING u don't have. Thus it takes very good prep work, keeping in mind that before this he had no setups, no anything! I feel even dropping 10k on rigs etc, we'd still be inadequately prepared for the monsters of yonder! He is all into it though. The boat runs like a dream, smooth and turn key, no issues there. Just some minor electrical bugs here and there, simple wear and tear for a 10 yr old boat. I will keep you posted! Get out there and FISH!

-Swordfish

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

That's awesome bro! Bimini is a fun trip, it'll be nice to get some out of sight of land time behind the wheel and you'll have a better idea of how it burns fuel with a load. Like you said though, duplicity is key for coming out here

Don't y'all worry about rigging, I got plenty. Just bring plenty of fuel and food (or plan on eating fish haha!), I'll get ya some water from here to top you off.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

:) You should see us before August! I want to make a trip no later than June / July. The fish finder is buggy, I NEED this to work, windlass is down, fresh water pump, to name a few things. Motors / hull / internals are impeccable. I gotta get around to posting a video of her running, just never have any damn time for anything bud! Working round the clock, and still always broke!!!! LOL The only thing that makes it better is :reeling: :reeling: :reeling:

-Swordfish

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Here you go, pics

-Swordfish

Return to “Monroe County”