Keys Trip Aug 10-13th Help

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
happygrover
Fisher

Keys Trip Aug 10-13th Help

Post by happygrover »

Been fishing several times down in the keys and have fished channels 2 and 5. I plan on catching some live pins, and pilchards. I haven't really done any night fishing down in the keys, so any pointers would help. I got some DOA shrimp and would like to use them, but need a good technique. If any one has any tips especially on the DOA's, or other bridges you could suggest to fish it would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to target snappers, such as mangroves, muttons, and yellowtails. I would like to try for some grouper too!

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Re: Keys Trip Aug 10-13th Help

Post by baseball4life702 »

Only other bridge that you didn't mention would be long key... I would also forget the DOA's and just stick with live/frozen bait.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i would listen to baseball the guy is a real beast when it comes to the bridges
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

I would listen to GK the guy is a king on the bridges but doesn't really give any constructive advice. (tommy

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

im just a goog that gets lucky from time to time your the man that steady has success
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

The DOAs don't do well in fast current. I have seen the same guy crush mangroves fishing Gulp shrimp on jigheads. Just bounce them in front of the piling a few times then move on to the next one. All the grovers I have seen him catch were beasts 16 plus inches.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Hang a light down over the water at night and catch yourself some fresh bait. If the pilchards show up, they usually show up in force and you can load up in no time. Also keep a few alive in a down bucket for the sunrise bite. If the snapper don't cooperate you'll have fun with the sharks,tarpon and cudas

happygrover
Fisher

Post by happygrover »

fishnfool73 wrote:The DOAs don't do well in fast current. I have seen the same guy crush mangroves fishing Gulp shrimp on jigheads. Just bounce them in front of the piling a few times then move on to the next one. All the grovers I have seen him catch were beasts 16 plus inches.
What size jig heads?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

He was using 3/8 oz. Hook Up heads from Hank Brown in various colors. You're not fishing the current so no need for heavy weights.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

happygrover
Fisher

Post by happygrover »

fishnfool73 wrote:He was using 3/8 oz. Hook Up heads from Hank Brown in various colors. You're not fishing the current so no need for heavy weights.
Im going to try to hit up walmart and see what they have before I head down, any recommendation that you know of that I could get there?

Return to “Monroe County”