Power Pro Braid

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
xtremeh18
Old Salt

Power Pro Braid

Post by xtremeh18 »

I have a few questions on braid. I had Ande pink 40# mono on my spinfisher 8500 but wasn't really happy with it. End up switching it out and now I spooled 500 yards of 50# Power Pro braid. How often do I need to respooled? Is Power Pro a good braid brand? Any pros on braid compared to mono?

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: Power Pro Braid

Post by gruntking »

There is no set time on how long you can keep braid on a reel just for example I have my 50 filled with braid been on there maybe 3 years buts it's still good
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

gruntking wrote:There is no set time on how long you can keep braid on a reel just for example I have my 50 filled with braid been on there maybe 3 years buts it's still good
Thanks Gruntking I appreciate your input!

My next question is how does someone know when the braid goes bad? I know in mono the color starts to fade.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

For me....If im tying mono to it and as you clinching it tight and it breaks.....time to change or cut a few yards and try again. You also have the option to reversed the line and test. Also, take a look at your line from time to tome

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

it doesnt really go bad unless the braid becomes chaffed or damaged in any way... or so i know

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I usually lose a few yards and respool just in case I need the extra 10 yards to catch the monster.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Rare wrote:For me....If im tying mono to it and as you clinching it tight and it breaks.....time to change or cut a few yards and try again. You also have the option to reversed the line and test. Also, take a look at your line from time to tome
Thanks Rare! Good to know.
grouperking wrote:it doesnt really go bad unless the braid becomes chaffed or damaged in any way... or so i know
Thanks Grouperking! I'll keep a close eye on it then.
HJared wrote:I usually lose a few yards and respool just in case I need the extra 10 yards to catch the monster.
Thanks HJared! Happy B-lated Birthday btw.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

HJared wrote:I usually lose a few yards and respool just in case I need the extra 10 yards to catch the monster.

Still waiting on that monster huh
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

how long should you switch the line?
well to answer that question let me tell you a story.. once upon a time there's a fisherman fishing at Haulover during full moon. He was looking to catch a permit or two.. it was 3 am and he was too tired from work and felt asleep on his chair.. when he woke up his "dollar candy" was gone along with all 500 yards 80lb braids he recently bought.. he swore he will never let the El Capitan guys spool his reels again :auto: :auto: :auto:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

k5523915 wrote:how long should you switch the line?
well to answer that question let me tell you a story.. once upon a time there's a fisherman fishing at Haulover during full moon. He was looking to catch a permit or two.. it was 3 am and he was too tired from work and felt asleep on his chair.. when he woke up his "dollar candy" was gone along with all 500 yards 80lb braids he recently bought.. he swore he will never let the El Capitan guys spool his reels again :auto: :auto: :auto:

I don't get how that says when to change out braid
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

k5523915
Old Salt

Post by k5523915 »

well in this case you dont even have to know when. the fish made the decision

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

No lol. I got spooled once by a big skipjack tuna on a 5000 reel when I wasnt fully loaded.

But especially with jigging when I lose 50 yads or so I respool the whole thing just incase (not always 100% necessary)

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

everyone fishes diff places, when your PP turns light green change it
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

gdm phil wrote:everyone fishes diff places, when your PP turns light green change it
That's a good rule of thumb. Also, I doubt 10 or even 20 yards of line will make a difference on anything that can spool you. CUP that reel, don't let that fish swim away with all that line lol. I'd rather break it off and have a fish story about one I could not stop than letting it get me down to backing and braid being gone.

-Swordfish

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

exactly why I fish 100# on my jig setup
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

Return to “Monroe County”