Reel Service - Penn Spin V4500

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
xtremeh18
Old Salt

Reel Service - Penn Spin V4500

Post by xtremeh18 »

Does anyone of a place in Miami or further south that I can take my Penn V4500 to get serviced? At times when reeling in it's a bit rough and not smooth.

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Re: Reel Service - Penn Spin V4500

Post by Miami_Chris »

Kendall bait and tackle can do it for you, but that reel is super easy to do yourself. It will save you lots of money in the long run if you learn to break down your own reels.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

Miami_Chris wrote:Kendall bait and tackle can do it for you, but that reel is super easy to do yourself. It will save you lots of money in the long run if you learn to break down your own reels.
Thanks bud! I was actually looking on youtube at some videos and it looks pretty simple. I think I'm going to give it a try myself. :thumright:

MrEnigma
Seasoned Fisher

Post by MrEnigma »

xtremeh18 wrote:
Miami_Chris wrote:Kendall bait and tackle can do it for you, but that reel is super easy to do yourself. It will save you lots of money in the long run if you learn to break down your own reels.
Thanks bud! I was actually looking on youtube at some videos and it looks pretty simple. I think I'm going to give it a try myself. :thumright:
Some general tips I've learned (some the hard way) from breaking down my reels:

1) Have the exploded diagram on hand before you start. Penn provides them on their site.
2) Lay the parts out in order they are removed. I like to use an egg carton or two and fill it one space at a time.
3) Take lots of photos to refer to when it comes time to reassemble.
4) Toothbrush and degreaser (doesn't have to be fancy, dish soap works fine) makes cleaning the gears pretty easy.
5) Lay everything out on a light colored towel, so that small parts are visible and are less likely to roll away.
6) For anything involving a spring, disassemble it in a plastic bag to catch anything that may go flying.

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

MrEnigma wrote:
1) Have the exploded diagram on hand before you start. Penn provides them on their site.
2) Lay the parts out in order they are removed. I like to use an egg carton or two and fill it one space at a time.
3) Take lots of photos to refer to when it comes time to reassemble.
4) Toothbrush and degreaser (doesn't have to be fancy, dish soap works fine) makes cleaning the gears pretty easy.
5) Lay everything out on a light colored towel, so that small parts are visible and are less likely to roll away.
6) For anything involving a spring, disassemble it in a plastic bag to catch anything that may go flying.
These are good tips will definitely do this! :toast:

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

I ended up shipping out my V4500 to Penn since it's still under warranty. So, since that was my only 4000 series I ended up purchasing this bad boy.

I can't wait to try it out. :twisted:

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Thats a nice reel bro! I love those 4 and 5k reels!!! I went to one of my snappa spots (which has been dead of late) and totally got OWNED!!! At least a grover pushing 4lbs! But i wouldnt change anything bcuz i just love when i do come out on top on one of those big bad boys, and second, the amount of bites you get is just ridiculous! I have 2 4k stradics, a 5k stradic and a 6k. I just love those reels! But i love penn also..i just stay away from the newer (made in china) spinfishers..there will be no penn like the original (usa) spinfishers..i own 2 9500's and am always looking to buy others in good conditions because theyre tough! I was bidding on a 9500 on ebay in excellent condition that went for almost 300 bucks! Crazy, but theyre coveted reels..anyways, good luck on making that bad boy scream!!!

Alex07
KING MACKEREL

Post by Alex07 »

Let us know how it goes. I've been considering buying 1

xtremeh18
Old Salt

Post by xtremeh18 »

snapperfanatic18 wrote:Thats a nice reel bro! I love those 4 and 5k reels!!! I went to one of my snappa spots (which has been dead of late) and totally got OWNED!!! At least a grover pushing 4lbs! But i wouldnt change anything bcuz i just love when i do come out on top on one of those big bad boys, and second, the amount of bites you get is just ridiculous! I have 2 4k stradics, a 5k stradic and a 6k. I just love those reels! But i love penn also..i just stay away from the newer (made in china) spinfishers..there will be no penn like the original (usa) spinfishers..i own 2 9500's and am always looking to buy others in good conditions because theyre tough! I was bidding on a 9500 on ebay in excellent condition that went for almost 300 bucks! Crazy, but theyre coveted reels..anyways, good luck on making that bad boy scream!!!
Thanks man! Yeah I can't wait to try it out and see how it compares to my spin. I used to fish my 6500 all the time and then I bought the 4500 and hardly fish my 6k anymore. I agree with you on the bites, way more. I love the lighter weight and the fights are a lot more intense on a 4 series. That's a nice collection you got there! For now I'm all Penn, I have a 3k, 2 - 4k, 2 - 6k, and a 8500. Dam 300 bucks, that's crazy! Yeah I heard the original Penns (USA) are the best ones.
Alex07 wrote:Let us know how it goes. I've been considering buying 1
Will do Alex07! I can tell you this much so far, it feels lighter and smaller than my spin 4500. Oh and also smoother, since it has more bearings. It does hold less line than my spin but that shouldn't be a problem, only 20 yards less to be exact on 12# mono.

DGaberlavage
Weekend Warrior

Post by DGaberlavage »

The clash are a smooth nice reel man you won't be disappointed

Return to “Monroe County”