Visiting Key West 10/22 thru 10/29

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
carp
Fisher

Visiting Key West 10/22 thru 10/29

Post by carp »

Hello all. As the title states I'm headed down in a couple of weeks. Some friends and I have chartered "The Yankee Capts" charter boat on Star Island for a couple of days for a Tortugas trip. The rest of the week is slated for "Fantasy Fest Activities". One can only drink so many beers so I am hoping to make the most of the fishing. I have never been down and have no idea as to species available, tackle needed, etc. I'm not picky. I'll target whatever is a happening bite at the time. If they eat good then all the better! What type of fishing should I be planning to do? Beach? Bridges? Jetties? Thanks!

sachig
Fisher

Re: Visiting Key West 10/22 thru 10/29

Post by sachig »

If you dont want to leave Key West and want to have some fun fishing, go fish off the rocks at Fort Zachary Beach. I was there in April, and my wife wanted to go to the beach, so I brought my pole, got some live shrimp from town and headed over there. Its a beautiful spot, and to my surprise loaded with action. I got broken off by something big 2 times, caught 5 keeper snapper, even caught a hogfish on hook and line. Undersized groupers, jacks. I was just using a jighead. The guy at the bait shop said that spot isnt fished much so there are fish around. I think i posted some pictures in the lower keys thread.

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

The Yankee captains has a very good guide on what to bring for their trips on their website. After reading through that watch some of the Florida sportsman YouTube videos on the Yankee captains, the host gives good information on what to do. I would bring everything the website guide tells you to bring and watch what the other regulars are doing and ask the mates to help you out. How many days are you going out for?

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

Or just take me with you and I can be your fishing expertise/water boy :thumright:

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

After your tuga trip you shouldnt need or want to fish for a few after that. I have never been but those trips are usually productive and if they arebor arent productive you will be tired af when you re done. Trust me just rest up for FF

carp
Fisher

Post by carp »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm all set for tackle on the YC. Going with some guys who've done it before. Planning on taking full advantage of the fishing for the rest of my stay too. Been to Florida a few times but never fished and never been to the keys. Out on the YC Monday morning till Wednesday afternoon. Fort Zachary sounds like a plan. Any other suggestions? I do appreciate the info. Thanks!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

So how was it?

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Pretty sure YC was canceled due to weather.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Return to “Monroe County”