Upper Keys Fishing Reports

Boatless Fishing Reports for Monroe County, Florida Keys
swordfish
SHARKER

Re: Upper Keys Fishing Reports

Post by swordfish »

HAHA Uplumb, yes, yes there are... They are BIG too, crocs are worrysome, gators are NOT. Crocs do not play. If you play the CURRENT right in Jewfish creek you can get a whole mess of fish around there, just gotta use the pylons to get away from the boat traffic, and as well as get away from the current. That whole area right before Key Largo is truly amazing, you will find everything from permit all the way to redfish! Remember, Jewfish HAS not tide, it is current, it can sit going one way for a week before it changes.

-swordfish

xmarlyx
Seasoned Fisher

Post by xmarlyx »

thanks for the tips! i think i might try steamboat creek. uplumb, have you encountered any crocs out of steamboat? which direction do you usually head when launching out of steamboat? i usually launch from steamers in key largo. ive done pretty well along the jewfish creek area. lots of variety around there. :salut:
- Anthony

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

I personally have caught everything at jewfish, literally lol! I have caught mackerel, followed by snapper, redfish, black drum and snook, all at anchor, one spot, not to mention that place is LOADED with gag grouper... I have caught a few, it is deep rocky and full of deep holes! Wind does not matter here, especially on a small boat, but I would be very weary on a yak, there is a LOT of boat traffic and they do NOT stop... Also, there is a LOT of big bulls there, so beware when landing fish.

-swordfish

uplumb
Fisher

Post by uplumb »

xmarlyx wrote:thanks for the tips! i think i might try steamboat creek. uplumb, have you encountered any crocs out of steamboat? which direction do you usually head when launching out of steamboat? i usually launch from steamers in key largo. ive done pretty well along the jewfish creek area. lots of variety around there. :salut:

No problem brother. With respect to which way... It all depends how much time I have and how much exercise I want. I don't plan all my trips. Sometimes I get a bad fishing jones and I just go. Heading towards Barnes Sound is definitely more of an adventure... especially on a paddle powered craft. I would say, "that part of it". Truth be told, you can do just as well heading north towards card sound. Its a much shorter trip.

I haven't had any croc problems there... Thank God. My one and only croc encounter took place in the canal that flows under US1 before you get to Jewfish Creek( coming from the mainland). There is a boat ramp there and a "new" spillway. I was headed to Manatee Bay and figure I would make a day of it fishing along the way. I guess the last mangrove I caught was his and he decided to let me know in a big way. I went from :shock: to :cry: in a hurry after he rammed my kayak. I think it was just one of those things, but I'm still a little gun shy
Is parking a problem by Steamers? Is there a fee? etc.

uplumb
Fisher

Post by uplumb »

swordfish wrote:I personally have caught everything at jewfish, literally lol! I have caught mackerel, followed by snapper, redfish, black drum and snook, all at anchor, one spot, not to mention that place is LOADED with gag grouper... I have caught a few, it is deep rocky and full of deep holes! Wind does not matter here, especially on a small boat, but I would be very weary on a yak, there is a LOT of boat traffic and they do NOT stop... Also, there is a LOT of big bulls there, so beware when landing fish.

-swordfish
I done some fishing there on foot, but never in the yak. Thanks for the warnings, I think I'll take a recon trip

For the sake of my ignorance. Is Jewfish's tidal immunity due to geography? Do you know of anywhere I can read about current vs. tide issues?

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

It is pretty much all due to geography.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/tidescurrents.html

It is the bay dumping to the other side basically. I mean, I am not qualified to explain it in detail, but go there frequently and you will see what i mean. Out of all the time I have gone there, only 2-3 times have it seen it flow to the west... Those have been the most epic fishing times I have had there period. It is usually good, but if you catch when that water flows west, it should be amazing! I used to fish this place quite a bit, have not in a while, just dont have the time atm. During the mullet run also, the place comes ALIVE! I would love to fish it from a yak, sooooo much mangrove line to cover!

-swordfish

uplumb
Fisher

Post by uplumb »

swordfish wrote:It is pretty much all due to geography.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/tidescurrents.html

It is the bay dumping to the other side basically. I mean, I am not qualified to explain it in detail, but go there frequently and you will see what i mean. Out of all the time I have gone there, only 2-3 times have it seen it flow to the west... Those have been the most epic fishing times I have had there period. It is usually good, but if you catch when that water flows west, it should be amazing! I used to fish this place quite a bit, have not in a while, just dont have the time atm. During the mullet run also, the place comes ALIVE! I would love to fish it from a yak, sooooo much mangrove line to cover!

-swordfish

appreciate the info

xmarlyx
Seasoned Fisher

Post by xmarlyx »

cool, i think im going to try and head out towards barnes sound from steamboat. hows fishing around the card sound bridge?

theres no parking issues at steamers. you can also launch form gilberts but they dont like people launching there on weekends unless youre staying at the hotel there so they tell you to go to steamers instead. both places are $10. i usually launch at first light so theres never a parking issue. jewfish creek area has tons of mangrove lines to cover, grass flats, and some good open area to troll plugs and xraps.
water's flowing west now by the way :reeling:
- Anthony

uplumb
Fisher

Post by uplumb »

I heard a story about a guy in a flats boat catching a huge grouper under that bridge this past summer

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

I promise you they are there... Beautiful color too, very healthy fish, that water is always ripping through and brings them plenty of food! I wish I had a small skiff, I would fish there and around there 99% of the time. There is tons of snook there too once you figure out their pattern.

-swordfish

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Fished the card sound area today from steamboat back north well really it's west. God steamboat is a f***in chithole now place is littered with so much garbage and the bees are everywhere, so I fished it for like 5 min and left. Hit the next channel up and it's grass up to the channel edge and current was flowing but the only thing I hooked up to was a grunt, there was a lone lost mullet swimming by the gravel ramp too. I wanted to try card sound bridge too but that was prolly a mistake the currrent and conditions were better where I got the grunt so I should have stayed and fished it more big mistake by me. The wind was so bad in the main channel under big bridge the bay was whitecapping lots of nibbles but wind was too nasty and nothing notable. Only good sign there was two fatty lobster walked out from the concrete they dumped there. Mini season can't come soon enough for me. :dude:

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

baseball4life702 wrote:Fished the card sound area today from steamboat back north well really it's west. God steamboat is a f***in chithole now place is littered with so much garbage and the bees are everywhere, so I fished it for like 5 min and left. Hit the next channel up and it's grass up to the channel edge and current was flowing but the only thing I hooked up to was a grunt, there was a lone lost mullet swimming by the gravel ramp too. I wanted to try card sound bridge too but that was prolly a mistake the currrent and conditions were better where I got the grunt so I should have stayed and fished it more big mistake by me. The wind was so bad in the main channel under big bridge the bay was whitecapping lots of nibbles but wind was too nasty and nothing notable. Only good sign there was two fatty lobster walked out from the concrete they dumped there. Mini season can't come soon enough for me. :dude:
lost a nice big snook down there sat, but it was super slow other than that though, just a couple snapper to take home and a brief ladyfish flurry. But i wasn't fishing the same times as you. The water can be super shallow and very clear down there at times which makes fishing tough. i'll probably be headed down that area and even further south next week at some point

if you can really only fish when the suns up you're at a big disadvantage in the summer. try to get out at night around big tides and you will have different results, wherever you fish

what bait were you using>?

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

I know I'll just be able to start getting out at night when June starts believe me I know this time of year is best for night fishing. I was using finger mullet, shrimp and a few pilchards, pilchards were a bust the shrimp get picked off too easy anywhere and the mullet worked good I think cuz the mullet are thick in that area. I should have stayed and fished my second spot the conditions were right just needed to work through the the grunts... the big bridge was just too windy to fish.
Let me know when your going next week I should be changing schedules and be able to fish more and later lol
I'm really mad about steamboat creek though why the F did people pick that one to trash when all the others are much cleaner? I know the ramp is closed for it but poop I'd even clean it myself if i only had a bee suit lol years back that was always the most promising of stops along the sound

Moose
KING MACKEREL

Post by Moose »

monday is my only day off....so we could overnight sunday to monday. or fish monday night and come back the same night. i dont work till 130pm tuesday....you seem to fish alot...if you could get out after 11pm we can fish whenever man....i work till ten at the hospitals in south miami....so i frequent the area after work when the tide and moons are right.

did you used to play baseball at tamiami park? when you were a kid, you look familiar.....my dad coached and my little bro was in your age group i think....ET, he played at coral park

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Baseball,, man that feels like a long time ago already... I have played at tamiami before but not in any of the leagues that are based there. I frequented the batting cages there cuz the old owner was affiliated with my school and I was friends with his kid. My leagues were usually based through my school or one of our coaches.
I went to Gulliver for middle and highschool and before that it was all sports baseball academy on 107th and Kendall in Indian hammocks park. We played everybody and everywhere though.
Oh fishing I forgot for a sec lol...the full moon
Is Tuesday so id be down for a Monday night trip or the new moon falls on the 16th next weekend which would also be fine for me idk which is better ...well work that poop out when it gets closer to watch the weather and tide but I can definitely get out after 11 I'll be free from 5 pm on starting next week

Mponce192
Fisher

Post by Mponce192 »

Hi Guys new to fishing the keys area piers/bridges. I see a lot of people talking about catching fish , but where? where are the good mile markers or areas you guys catch looking to catch some snappers/grunts any decent keeper fish for the wifey. Thanks!

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Mponce192 wrote:Hi Guys new to fishing the keys area piers/bridges. I see a lot of , but where? where are the good mile markers or areas you guys catch looking to catch some snappers/grunts any decent keeper fish for the wifey. Thanks!
Funny that you mention the wifey. You know how mad she gets when you never look for anything you try to save time by just asking her since she probably knows where it's at anyways. it kind of applies here you have to at least try to look and familiar with the area layout. Or research the board :driving: :reeling: .

For example you will notice the fishing bridge is on the east side sometimes and other times it's on the west side so you try to use that to your advantage.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Mponce192
Fisher

Post by Mponce192 »

LoL Thanks. What I meant was keeper fish for the wifer, she doesn't care where it is she been having snapper cravings lately, happy wife happy life :).Gotta get her some snappa!

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Been fishing off a private dock in the tavernier area since around 9:30, nonstop bites from fatty grunts and mangrove snapper, managed about 5 grovers that were 10"-11" and one nice keeper at 13.5"... Pictures to come when I wake up.

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Here are some pictures from the two nights of dock fishing after obsessive lobstering. The two keepers were 12" and 11"... Could have sworn the 12" was a 13" but I guess overnight ice bath can shrink a fish an inch. Nonetheless me and my cousins caught numerous other legal mangroves and grunts the same size as the mangos but only kept the biggest two grovers. The good thing is 3 out of the 4 cousins are female and they were all more interested in fishing than my male cousin, go figure but I'm glad to teach a generation of the other gender how to catch good fish from shore! A lobster picture included too and only hit the bay today haven't even ventured outside to the ocean.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

lots of bugs!!! lol

TidetotheMoon
Weekend Warrior

Post by TidetotheMoon »

Hooked up with a few tarpon Sunday under the bright moon off US1 before key largo.

uguysareidiots
Fisher

Post by uguysareidiots »

Anyone been to Channel 2, Channel 5, and/or Long Key recently? Thinking of heading out there soon.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Plenty of snappers, tarpon, cudas and permit..get out there and wet a line!

clarence2society
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by clarence2society »

where to go..... i never fish from land in upper keys no idea where to do it from....:P i wanna fish tomorrow monring and or sun if its overcast otherwise its too damn hot after djing all night then stayin up to fish

uguysareidiots
Fisher

Post by uguysareidiots »

snapperfanatic18 wrote:Plenty of snappers, tarpon, cudas and permit..get out there and wet a line!
Thanks!

uguysareidiots
Fisher

Post by uguysareidiots »

Was out on Long Key bridge and Channel 5 yesterday from 9:30 to 5:30. Not much going on. Caught four short muttons in the 12 to 14 inch range and a short hogfish. Fresh threadfin was the bait of the day.

snapperfanatic18
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snapperfanatic18 »

Keep at it, but you gotta get out at night for them mangs man! Nice report.

SaltLife27
Seasoned Fisher

Post by SaltLife27 »

Thinking about taking a late night trip to long key bridge/channel 5/channel 2 . Would leave fort lauderdale around 9PM. Is there any places to get bait around that time? Thanks guys

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

jack's right next to racetrac gas... it opens 24/7.

Return to “Monroe County”