First Pompano

Fish must have been caught using live or cut bait, after November 1, 2006.
Please let us know the tackle you used, how you rigged your terminal tackle, and any special techinque used.
rsellers86
Fisher

First Pompano

Post by rsellers86 »

Caught on northwest beach in Fred Howard Park. I was wade fishing the grass flats when it hit 6:49 PM and I had 11 minutes left to get outta the park before I get another annoying ticket for staying too late... :mad: I had one lonely shrimp left in my bucket and one last chance to catch another fish before the Sunday blues set in. I cast the little shrimp as far as he could fly and immediately the float disappeared... Another trout was on the line like the last 30 casts I made. I prayed the whole time easily reeling him in, please don't shake my shrimp off..... Prayer answered, the shrimp had slid up the line and was above the hook thrashing around on the line. I got the trout off my hook in record time... re-hooked the mangled shrimp and lightly cast out to avoid the infamous slinging the bait farther than the hook!!! I stood waiting for several minutes and was about to give up when the float disappeared and the drag began to sing :reeling: I had no idea what to expect, this was the first fish I had hooked at the park that was strong enough to pull away from me. I fought it in almost to the beach and right when I got it close enough to get a glimpse there it went again. We went back and forth like this several times and every time I was saying oh yea.. BIG RED... Finally I got the mystery fish in and was very surprised to see what I had caught. This was the last thing I expected on a live shrimp after catching only redfish, trout, and monster lady fish in the park. Since that lucky day, I have yet to see or hook another one of these feisty creatures, man what a fight these little guys put on. I can only hope to catch another one of these in the near future, but my main goal is a giant redfish. Any advice for catching either species would be greatly appreciated, especially if anyone here fishes this location and knows some special tricks to catching them here. :dude:

swordfish
SHARKER

Re: First Pompano

Post by swordfish »

Very cool, welcome and keep it up!

-swordfish

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Yes very cool and again Welcome :toast: .

You could try to target that species specifically, using Goofy Jigs or a bait like sand fleas, clams. This fish hits a double hook rig with the weight on the bottom of the rig.

You may be surprised you may get more.

Google ---Pompano Rig
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Chevy Juan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Chevy Juan »

Nice pomp man remember tides times etc and go get em. :reeling:

Sharkin
Fisher

Post by Sharkin »

Sorry to break it to you but your holding a Jack Carvell not a Pompano.

Sharkin
Fisher

Post by Sharkin »

Big reds are all around Howard though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

Sharkin wrote:Sorry to break it to you but your holding a Jack Carvell not a Pompano.
Please allow me to come by and pick up all that Jack Crevalle you catch like that one.

For the Reds try pig fish,pin fish,finger mullet,crabs. All live or dead.
7 o'clock in December is pretty dark that's amazing catching pompano that late. Don't know where Howard is.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

DragonFire
Weekend Warrior

Post by DragonFire »

Sharkin wrote:Sorry to break it to you but your holding a Jack Carvell not a Pompano.
You must've gotten all your fishing skills from doing this

LOL... you made me laugh and I needed that... :cheers:

psssssss here's what I believe a Jack looks like....

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Post by baseball4life702 »

Wrong, wrong, and wrong some more lol if your fishing for reds and stuff inshore like your pictures show you should know the difference between crevalle and pompano

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Lol keep posting on 4 yr old threads ya shmucks JP im disappointed hermano (tommy

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Sharkin wrote:Big reds are all around Howard though
Well now we all know what a shmuck looks like (tommy

Return to “Saltwater: Caught using live or cut bait.”