60+lb Grass Carp

Please let us know the tackle you used, the artificial or bait, and your technique. Please post pictures with you, fish, and tackle if possible, of your fish caught after November 1, 2006.
Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

60+lb Grass Carp

Post by Jordan »

Didn't come on here to argue the weight of it, was estimated by 3 people to be in the 60-70lb range. Not snagged. Pics do no justice...
Fatty
Blurry but puts into perspective..I am 6'4" and 250lbs..

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: 60+lb Grass Carp

Post by fixed80 »

its a pretty big carp. :thumleft: bring a weight scale with ya next time. there just carp. :)

DigiCowboy
Weekend Warrior

Post by DigiCowboy »

Nice fish
:drunk: What did ya catch him on? I see lots of big carp when out bank hopping and I would be glad to hook into one of those things, especially when nothing else is hittin.

I have heard bread and corn. So far no luck here. Any tips

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

that's an absolute fatty!! way to go!! makes my first ever carp which was 18 pounds look bad, if you dont have a scale use this mathematical formula next time, the result and a very accurate estimated weight of the fish because I have tested it and used it with identical results to what my fish scale reads.

take the girth of the fish and square it, multiply that result by the length of the fish then take that result and divide it by 800, the result is a very accurate estimate of the weight of the fish!
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

60-70lbs would beat most state records. Unless you're 7' tall I don't think that fish weighed... Never mind, congrats on the lunker carp. I second the formula that chris21 mentioned. IN addition, if the fish is long n skinny like a cuda or wahoo then divide by 900 instead of 800 in that formula.

mogenmyle
Seasoned Fisher

Post by mogenmyle »

i use bread its a game of cat and mouse carp are extremly spooky and hard too get too eat when spooked. i will find a place where i know they are they feed on grass and ghost shrimp. after they cut the grass in most places thats a good time but you have too get them intrested in your bread i will chum an area and wait. if you try too chum on top of them you will spook them best too drift your baits and chum too them or get them too come too you i will avoid bobbers most the time its almost like fishing for bonefish except the fight sucks compared too bonefish or most others. if you put in your time for them you will figure it out and get bored fast good luck hope some of this helps you .

DigiCowboy
Weekend Warrior

Post by DigiCowboy »

mogenmyle ,
Appreciate the tips!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

These fish die very easily and don't take well to much handling at all. That's why dedicated carp fishermen even use landing mats for them. Hand scales will mess up these fish, and by the time you take all those measurements, who knows.

Barbless hooks, careful handling, and a quick pic & release is the sporting and responsible way of carp fishing. Remember, these fish are there to keep the weeds in our waters under control. :D

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

:stupid: They are also protected by the state and you can be fined for killing one. It was $500 or so last time I checked. Catch , picture , and quick release for them is best
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Jordan
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Jordan »

I have another pic i'll post to help show the size. It was estimated at around 60-65lbs by an avid carp angler and another long time angler as well. Btw fish swam off on its own strong.

Backwoods123
Old Salt

Post by Backwoods123 »

Poseidon10/31 wrote:60-70lbs would beat most state records. Unless you're 7' tall I don't think that fish weighed... Never mind, congrats on the lunker carp. .
:toast: :auto: :auto: :toast:

and just cuz the fish swam off good doesnt mean he will survive, carp are hard to keep alive once you rub there slim and scales off... and im sure with you guys with yourr arms around that fish im sure your shirt rubbed alot of the slime and scales off... but hey nice catch.

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

DigiCowboy wrote:Nice fish
:drunk: What did ya catch him on? I see lots of big carp when out bank hopping and I would be glad to hook into one of those things, especially when nothing else is hittin.

I have heard bread and corn. So far no luck here. Any tips
Another way to catch them is to use nightcrawler. Free line the nightcrawler with a small hook and cast it to the crap without them noticing you.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

I can tell you..

43lbs: http://www.domaine-des-iles.com/english ... 2043lb.jpg
58lbs: http://www.domaine-des-iles.com/english ... ean582.JPG

Sorry to inform you mate, that is no where NEAR 60lbs...maybe 30 if that
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

Username28
KING MACKEREL

Post by Username28 »

Post that photo claiming 60lbs on this forum, see what they say...

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/

Some other CARP fishing sites.

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/cag/
http://www.socalcarpclub.com/
There is a fine line between Love & Hate.Hate is pushing them off a ledge. Loving them means you don't taunt them after you've pushed them off.

Return to “Freshwater Pics: Any fish caught in freshwater.”