Big bass was 22/23 inches and fat. Best guess on weight?

Please let us know the tackle you used, the artificial or bait, and your technique. Please post pictures with you, fish, and tackle if possible, of your fish caught after November 1, 2006.
Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Big bass was 22/23 inches and fat. Best guess on weight?

Post by Slammer »

A couple photos for comparison. The big one felt like a ton but I think it was somewhere between 5.5 and 7 pounds? I was tempted to make it my first keeper but sent him back with the rest.

Next purchase is a portable scale. Any suggestions for a reliable one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Big bass was 22/23 inches and fat. Best guess on weight

Post by cvstrat »

Yeah I agree with your weight estimate. If you measure the length and girth you can figure out the weight with pretty good accuracy. Google bass weight calculator and you can input the measurements to figure it out.

There are some charts that estimate by length only but weight can vary a lot based on how fat/thin the fish is.

Either way nice fish!

DigiCowboy
Weekend Warrior

Post by DigiCowboy »

2013-03-29 14.11.24.jpg
Nice fish!

Recently I grabbed a small digital scale while at Wally World. I was kinda shocked to find out how far off I was when estimating the weight of LMBs.

The pic here is 3.2 lbs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DigiCowboy
Weekend Warrior

Post by DigiCowboy »

The scale I used is the Rapala Mini. I bought it for FW fishing as it tops out at 25 lb. It is only about $20.
I doubted the accuracy at first but checked it by weighing some known objects and it is pretty good.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

My best guess is that fish is living hard and fast. Maybe he will pick up some weight this spring/summer.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

DigiCowboy
Weekend Warrior

Post by DigiCowboy »

Green Tide wrote:My best guess is that fish is living hard and fast. Maybe he will pick up some weight this spring/summer.
I was watching a show on bass the other day and you are probably right. They are fattest before the spawn, so it may be down to a light weight for that reason. I guess they eat little or nothing while on the nest.

I sure would have guessed the weight of that fish at 5 lb, but bass are funny. Length doesn't mean diddly, they gotta be round and fat to get heavy.

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

Yeah, hard to tell then because I did not measure the girth. He was a moose though. My biggest to date and he bent my rod like a saltwater fish.

I caught him off the first cast on a good 30 yard throw just as soon as the lure hit the water. He dove deep instead of jumping and by the time he was close to shore he buried himself in the weeds. I couldn't reel in anymore and had to hoist him out. Hope I can find him again!

Slammer
Weekend Warrior

Post by Slammer »

That does look more than 3.2?

DigiCowboy wrote:
2013-03-29 14.11.24.jpg
Nice fish!

Recently I grabbed a small digital scale while at Wally World. I was kinda shocked to find out how far off I was when estimating the weight of LMBs.

The pic here is 3.2 lbs.

vetoe
Fisher

Post by vetoe »

DigiCowboy wrote:
2013-03-29 14.11.24.jpg
Nice fish!

The pic here is 3.2 lbs.

Man that spot looks just like one I hit up on the C-100...Nice catch there to both of you guys.

Return to “Freshwater Pics: Any fish caught in freshwater.”