What kind of net?

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
HumanClaymore
Seasoned Fisher

What kind of net?

Post by HumanClaymore »

Sorry if this is a repeat. I looked and couldn't find anything covering my questions.

I need to buy a new castnet, as my previous one was shredded (it was just a little 4ft job I planned to upgrade anyway once I was a little more proficient at throwing).

I started looking online for an 8 footer, as in pretty sure that should fit my needs (shoreline and kayak fishing). It wasn't long before I got lost. I stated seeing 8 footers for shrimp, for mullet, for manhaden, etc...Being fairly new to the fishing game, I have no idea what would suit me best on that stuff.

I don't usually target any particular fish yet, so really looking to pull up almost any bait that'll work on shore or near shore. I wasn't much of a fish eater before I began fishing, so I like catching anything and seeing if I enjoy it. I'm also on Pinellas County, so I don't have that limitation Broward does on size.

Any ideas which kind would suit me best?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Do the truffle shuffle!

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: What kind of net?

Post by gruntking »

anything with 3/8 mesh should be fyne
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

As GK mentioned 3/8". Just don't throw it on tiny pilchards (less than 3") cause you'll end up with what we call a Christmas Tree. They'll be stuck in the net and you'll have to pick them out individually, a royal pain.

HumanClaymore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by HumanClaymore »

Awesome. Thanks, guys. Fishing can be a bit daunting to a newbie sometimes, especially where equipment is concerned. Good to have a helpful group about :)
Do the truffle shuffle!

Return to “Bait Bucket”