butterfly jigging

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
grouperking
Old Salt

butterfly jigging

Post by grouperking »

so i didnt know where to post this so i posted here cuz its a type of bait....
but my main question is = how would you identify what type of jig to use..?
Ill be going off dania beach and into about 100-150 depth at the color change if anyone has any info thanks a lot

gdm phil
SHARKER

Re: butterfly jigging

Post by gdm phil »

if it were me I would use 130-200g blues greens and pinks. williamson benthos are proven to work as well as many shimano butterflys in those colors. IMO it all depends on the action you give the jig. The more you move the rod tip the better the jig looks to fish
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

[quote="gdm phil"]if it were me I would use 130-200g blues greens and pinks.

wouldnt that be a bit heavy?

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

So you wanna jig

In regards to weight 130 to 200g is not heavy at all. You have to also consider currents.
130g jig in 2 knots current is basically flat lining and not VJ (vertical Jigging) "well if that is what you wanna do"

When we go out often you need 300g or more or less.

Basically think about 100g per 100' water and then think about current to top it off.

Jigging gets a lot different when you have current and try to give the jig action when the boat drifts 50 yards in a jiffy.

That being said so far I have had the best results staying in the pinks and blues specially the pinks not matter what weight/style jig used.

OH and that is just me --> I do not use double assist hooks. Maybe just an impression but I think single assist is better
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

OH another thing
Lets say the current is not bad at all and you do not drift off to hard then you can use the time given to let your jig sit for 3 to 5 seconds or so.

When your jig hits the bottom and lays there for a second the fish will see it and like hmm whats that. Then all the sudden you jig up and the action is possibly right in front of the fish triggering the feed. "Note: There is a slightly higher risk getting snagged"

Dunno where I read that but I have been doing so and it works. Had a lot of hits that way right off the bottom often when others did not.

So since it is Friday TGIF and my boss wondering what I am just typing right now

LMAO
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

if current is ripping try and cast the opp way of the drift so by the time its right in front of you its on the bottom
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

thanjs guys ill be in about 150ft of depth so ill use 200grams? and what have you guys caught on them lately?

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

your prob going to get alo of bonita
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

thats bad......right?

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

oh and whose cvstraz or something like that cuz i heard he goes kayak fishing off dania and thats where i plan to start

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

its a great fight with the jig but cant eat it
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

A 15# Bonie will do a nice drill

Depending on where you are you are looking at possible Grouper, AJ, Almaco and if the gods will a mutt on the jig and bonies are nearly a given.

You will get them more in the middle to upper column.

Hook into a larger AJ and have fun
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I'll use between 3.5-5 oz jigs. Try different sizes and colors. You may find that the tuna are feeding on smaller squid, and a 5 oz knife jig doesn't exactly match the hatch and will not get you bites where as a smaller profile 3.5 oz jig will. Had this happen a few times. I don't rely on color as much, since at the bottom in these depths most colors in the spectrum don't exist. Example, red light disappears 20' below the surface. Experiment with different retrieve speeds and pauses. In my experience, the faster the better for tuna.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

dont be surprised to get hit on the drop either. I have cuahgt numerous tunas just letting line out
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

grouperking wrote:oh and whose cvstraz or something like that cuz i heard he goes kayak fishing off dania and thats where i plan to start
Cvstrat. He's kinda an up and coming legend around here. But he's like a vapor you can't easily find him but sooner or later he will find you. Just keep posting.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

keepinitreel
Seasoned Fisher

Post by keepinitreel »

If there around u can always catch a King as well on the vertical

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Kings, wahoo, tuna, grouper, muttons, everything eats vertical jigs. Blackfin tuna love scooping them up on the drop as Phil mentioned. if your line goes slack 50' under the boat, wind like crazy! Almost all my BFT hit on the drop and they swim up.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

and remember never stop jigging that last up and down could be a big tuna or hoo. ive gotten taken by a skip jack at the surface getting ready to throw it out
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

im going jigging tomm. its going to be flat so I will let you know what I used
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

gdm phil wrote:im going jigging tomm. its going to be flat so I will let you know what I used
tyvm

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I have to agree w/Poseidon here I use 3.5-5.0oz jigs, that's 100-150 gram. I usually go w/150g benthos jigs but it's up to you. Bass pro is making good benthos knockoffs now for a lot cheaper than the williamson brand.

When I jig off Dania I'm usually jigging deeper than that but it's worth trying different depths.

My main recommendation if you are new at kayak fishing is to pay attention to the landmarks while you are out there. You may not realize it but the current will move you pretty far pretty fast. Paddling back 5 or 6 miles against the current and the wind is terrible. Keep it between the tall while condo and the cranes, you'll know what i mean when you turn around and look.

Man I gotta get out on my yak it's been over a month now.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

thanks for the advice but when your so deep dont you drift a lot and isnt there lotss of wavex to flip you over? :scratch:

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

grouperking wrote:thanks for the advice but when your so deep dont you drift a lot and isnt there lotss of wavex to flip you over? :scratch:
Waves in the ocean aren't waves like you see on the beach. It's just undulating water. To oversimplify the hell out of the physics of it, it's a phenomenon caused by the wind and friction, not by moving water. Essentially open water waves will gently roll beneath your kayak, not really moving you horizontally much if at all because it's the wavelength created by the wind that's moving through the water, not the water itself moving. Waves in the open water are exponentially more safe than breaking waves in the surf.

Exceptions to this are extreme winds and high seas.

Just pay attention to where the wind and current are taking you and compensate on our paddle out. Stop every once in a while and correct your position. Watch some youtube videos on launching in the surf as that's where you'll wipe out. And if you don't wanna lose it, strap it down. Otherwise it's going to be in the bottom of the ocean at some point and this goes for everything.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

last question: what kind of yak do you have and can you recommend another one thats probably cheaper?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

cvstrat wrote: Otherwise it's going to be in the bottom of the ocean at some point and this goes for everything.

I concur with the statement above & will give it a ""like"" if I had a like button. :cheers:

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

cvstrat wrote:
grouperking wrote:thanks for the advice but when your so deep dont you drift a lot and isnt there lotss of wavex to flip you over? :scratch:
Waves in the ocean aren't waves like you see on the beach. It's just undulating water. To oversimplify the hell out of the physics of it, it's a phenomenon caused by the wind and friction, not by moving water. Essentially open water waves will gently roll beneath your kayak, not really moving you horizontally much if at all because it's the wavelength created by the wind that's moving through the water, not the water itself moving. Waves in the open water are exponentially more safe than breaking waves in the surf.

Exceptions to this are extreme winds and high seas.

Just pay attention to where the wind and current are taking you and compensate on our paddle out. Stop every once in a while and correct your position. Watch some youtube videos on launching in the surf as that's where you'll wipe out. And if you don't wanna lose it, strap it down. Otherwise it's going to be in the bottom of the ocean at some point and this goes for everything.
That answer was so over most of their heads besides Nilsen I was probably the only one that read it to the end. Try to keep it to six syllable words for the largest possible audience.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

Just kidding GK

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

cvstrat
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by cvstrat »

I have an ocean kayak trident 11. I wouldn't mind having the 13 honestly, but it was a gift so who can complain?!

If you're going offshore get a 13 footer I think. Ocean kayaks are pretty stable in rough seas and the 11 footer has always felt safe, just a little exhausting to paddle long distances, especially when jigging. I do like the smaller size in the back waters though.

Would love a hobie so I could peddle around instead of paddling. Don't wanna spend the money on one though.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

cvstrat wrote:I have an ocean kayak trident 11. I wouldn't mind having the 13 honestly, but it was a gift so who can complain?!

If you're going offshore get a 13 footer I think. Ocean kayaks are pretty stable in rough seas and the 11 footer has always felt safe, just a little exhausting to paddle long distances, especially when jigging. I do like the smaller size in the back waters though.

Would love a hobie so I could peddle around instead of paddling. Don't wanna spend the money on one though.
just wondering how much would you like to pay for a hobie quest 13?

Return to “Bait Bucket”