favorite mutton bait

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
Backwoods123
Old Salt

favorite mutton bait

Post by Backwoods123 »

Whats up guys just curious as to what ur guys fav mutton baits are from the bridge/pier... Mine would have to be spot grunts with the tail clipped and dork jacks!!

gdm phil
SHARKER

Re: favorite mutton bait

Post by gdm phil »

been having decent luck with live greenies. decent sized
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

Last time I went out we used ballyhoo and chunks of conch, killed em on the couch that day

zpunancy
Seasoned Fisher

Post by zpunancy »

Man ima have to go with good ol cut grunt.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

ilovefishing wrote:Last time I went out we used ballyhoo and chunks of conch, killed em on the couch that day
Hmm chunk of conch , very interesting... Are you using them frequently?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Fresh dead horse pilchards with the tail trimmed, and live french grunts with the tail trimmed.

migs24
Old Salt

Post by migs24 »

From the bridges I would have say big live pilchards. I don't cut them up cause then they picked off by scavengers. They always pick out the eyes anyway which takes care of the scent part of it. Live ballyhoo when available is second choice. Small grunts as last resort, but they do work.

zpunancy
Seasoned Fisher

Post by zpunancy »

Really pp? I fish the live French grunts alot and get way more hits from cut up key west grunts . I'll keep trying with the live French grunts though there easy to catch.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

zpunancy wrote:Really pp? I fish the live French grunts alot and get way more hits from cut up key west grunts . I'll keep trying with the live French grunts though there easy to catch.
Hmm... I may know what you meant by french grunts Vs key west grunts. My last trip, I had 40 live grunts caught in Dania and I think they were key west grunts.
But I caught one small white grunts (french grunts) on the bridge. I got a hit right away from this grunt while no hit on Dania grunts. All of my grunts were very lively...

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

kblue wrote:
ilovefishing wrote:Last time I went out we used ballyhoo and chunks of conch, killed em on the couch that day
Hmm chunk of conch , very interesting... Are you using them frequently?
I have a buddy who processes conch and he gave me a bunch of scraps and said try it. I swear that day the conch outfished whatever other bait we were using that day. I probably got another 10lbs in the freezer, gonna try it out next time I go out

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

kblue wrote:
zpunancy wrote:Really pp? I fish the live French grunts alot and get way more hits from cut up key west grunts . I'll keep trying with the live French grunts though there easy to catch.
Hmm... I may know what you meant by french grunts Vs key west grunts. My last trip, I had 40 live grunts caught in Dania and I think they were key west grunts.
But I caught one small white grunts (french grunts) on the bridge. I got a hit right away from this grunt while no hit on Dania grunts. All of my grunts were very lively...
White (Key West) grunts are different then French grunts.

French grunts have yellow stripes. I like the little 3-4" ones, I clip off their tail far enough back that they bleed a little. The bigger ones get nurses. They grunt like crazy on the bottom and call in fish.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

you know ive never had any luck with the french grunts more luck with the white grunt
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

OK,
PhishingPhanatic wrote:
kblue wrote:
White (Key West) grunts are different then French grunts.

French grunts have yellow stripes. I like the little 3-4" ones, I clip off their tail far enough back that they bleed a little. The bigger ones get nurses. They grunt like crazy on the bottom and call in fish.

i got confused the other way around with white and french... thanks for correction :uplol:

white(key west) grunts worked for me better.

anas473
Seasoned Fisher

Post by anas473 »

I think Ill regret giving this one away but lizardfish really works for me on some days.

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

I find it somewhat ironic that the white grunts are more hardier. Infact they grow up to 15#s. Where as the French grunts "give up" or die easier.
au revoir

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

BEOWULF
KING MACKEREL

Post by BEOWULF »

Poop from a virgin mermaid, under 25.

ilovefishing
Seasoned Fisher

Post by ilovefishing »

BEOWULF wrote:Poop from a virgin mermaid, under 25.
Damn man you can't be giving out secrets like this in a thread! That's pm quality advice so no one else uses it

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Might as well....cuttlefish. If you get them fresh they will not last 5mins and you will be hooked. Your line will be singing as soon as you drop. I can only get one and a small one sine they are spokem for as soon as they get them but can make 2 baits out of it.

Return to “Bait Bucket”