keeping shrimp alive in canal

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: keeping shrimp alive in canal

Post by crashmister »

kblue wrote:I still don't like why jack in his trap is intake over night. Those water should have blue crabs...I know blue crabs can tolerate well fresh water as people catching them at upstream of Hudson River....

I speculate Maybe something going on at out backyard canal...
Funny that, my grandson and I catch blue crabs all the time in the new river on squid. They don't actually get hooked, dummy's won't let go until they're almost completely out of the water. Crazy!
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

onitis
Fisher

Post by onitis »

all of yesterdays shrimp also dead oh well i guess i cant use live bait.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

onitis wrote:all of yesterdays shrimp also dead oh well i guess i cant use live bait.
SaltyDog wrote:Get a cheap fishtank pump and bubbler keep them cool
You can but thats up to you.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

once again the water in your canal is poop

now for the blueclaw topic ive seen and caught them in fresh water the pic below is a spot i use to cath them its about 4 miles west of the flood gates Image
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

The issue I see is why the canal onitis is fishing kills shrimp and presumably blue crabs...it may not be salinity.... :study:

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

have rare test the water with his salty piss tester

seriously it could be a lack of o2 in the water any number or reason but the bottom is the water is poop
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

The issue I see is why the canal onitis is fishing kills shrimp and presumably blue crabs...it may not be salinity.... :study:
Easy to do..Take xx of shrimp and put in canal shitty water in bucket add fish pump- see if they are still alive next day. We can rule that out. Get a dissolved oxygen meter if needed.

As for jacks-
The water salinities where the species has been reported from range from 0% to 49%, indicating the species can adapt to a wide range of waters.Blue, Im giving you this case to figure out why these shrimps are dying. Please report back in 1 week with your find

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

this is funny, my momma used to say "if it hurts don't do it", stop putting shrimp in that place and maybe they won't die. Its not likely to make a miraculous recovery in a day, like said the water quality is most likely crapola.... and there have been several solutions proposed that will work.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Krash its bucket in canal or bust i guess he likes pissing his money away for live shrimp...just throw doas or gulps

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:
Easy to do..Take xx of shrimp and put in canal shitty water in bucket add fish pump- see if they are still alive next day. We can rule that out. Get a dissolved oxygen meter if needed.

As for jacks-
The water salinities where the species has been reported from range from 0% to 49%, indicating the species can adapt to a wide range of waters.Blue, Im giving you this case to figure out why these shrimps are dying. Please report back in 1 week with your find
Too much of Rocket science task... let me see what I can do... BTW per Onitis, shrimps died within an hour not next day.
If there is no oxygen in water, how could he catch jacks in there?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Never said there wasnt....just check :wink:

I have given you the task and love to solve this for our friend, blue. Please send me a vial 5ml of water so i can test. Please do not contaminate the water in any way vial should be in a glass. Let us get to the bottom of this

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Yep let's do it.
It is our back yard canal...

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Nels, do you do drug testing as well? Just askin (tommy
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

crashmister wrote:Nels, do you do drug testing as well? Just askin (tommy
No...but back in middle school/high school days i used to make $30 helping high club folks that needed to pass a test for a job. Making $180+ a week was nice for them days of summer. (tommy

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote:Yep let's do it.
I want the samples from his back yard. I have 2 good friends in Germany. Ron as you know and Ehsan Dashti from Dusseldorf, Germany. My boy Ehsan made the trirton system to the world. https://reefbuilders.com/2014/11/07/tri ... -analysis/
If needed we will send him the sample.
Coupled Plasma-Optical Emmission Spectrometry analysis (ICP-OES) to literally rip molecules apart with plasma that is heated to 10,000 degrees Kelvin for analysis.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Jongsoo should just drink it see if it gets him sick....

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

SaltyDog wrote:Jongsoo should just drink it see if it gets him sick....
Sorry I am not salty dog...

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Rare wrote:
kblue wrote:Yep let's do it.
I want the samples from his back yard. I have 2 good friends in Germany. Ron as you know and Ehsan Dashti from Dusseldorf, Germany. My boy Ehsan made the trirton system to the world. https://reefbuilders.com/2014/11/07/tri ... -analysis/
If needed we will send him the sample.
Coupled Plasma-Optical Emmission Spectrometry analysis (ICP-OES) to literally rip molecules apart with plasma that is heated to 10,000 degrees Kelvin for analysis.

Brah the university here in Leipzig does similar and they refere to a American product so I believe.

Here the link to the university publication and then to the product the Optima 8000

https://itc.chemie.uni-leipzig.de/en/in ... equipment/

http://www.perkinelmer.com/catalog/prod ... optima8000

Thought you might be interested in reading

Left ya a message the other day :toast:
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

onitis
Fisher

Post by onitis »

Hi guys.No I dont like wasting my money on shrimp which quickly die.The first day was when I first arrived and it had been high 80's all week.I figured maybe the warm water has less oxygen =dead shrimp.Then after it got cooler i tried again still no good all the while still caught a few fish.Well yesterday and today i tried catching those inch long minnow like fish around the piling that are dark brownish colored maybe a gobi mudskipper or some kind of minnow on tiny hooks with a bit of squid.Using them I have caught a few barracudas maybe 18inch long.I am here till march 1.Back home (NYC)I have 2 -12volt air pumps on my boat and three 110 volt ones at home for my fish tanks ,so i really dont want to buy another pump.Although I want to catch some other fish I will try again with the live shrimp and leave them in the bait shop's water and keep them around 75 degrees either in the house or outside.You guys are great and thanks for all your suggestions I am just happy catching anything.

Return to “Bait Bucket”