the dilemma

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
mvnray
Weekend Warrior

the dilemma

Post by mvnray »

So i caught around 40 gogs friday and i am not sure if im going out on sunday or monday for bottom fishing (grouper and mutton). I don't know whether i should keep them on ice till monday or freeze them. I just put them laying flat in bags of 6 and poured salt on each one to see if that will help their freshness and so they don't stick together. My question is, will gogs sitting in cooler on ice for 2-3 days be better than gogs in freezer for 2 days be better?
Im not sure because the ice tends to turn to slush and I think they will get stale sitting in the bottom with all that water. What do you think?

Rare
SHARKER

Re: the dilemma

Post by Rare »

The gog bite has been good.... Do not let them sit on ice water. You want to have some sort of crate to keep them above water and put them in a zip lock bag. Pack the ice well at the bottom of the cooler, then add a few bags of gog, ice....gog ice..and so on. You can put a few in the freezer and try as well. Put them in the glad or reynolds plastic( the thin one- press and seal type) so they dont get freezer burn since you wont be vacuuming them. Try both method and see which hold best for you.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: the dilemma

Post by crashmister »

Salting the ice helps it keep longer as well. The bait overall stays fresher because the iced melts slower. As long as it’s a good cooler that is.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

Return to “Bait Bucket”