Fishing in St. Augustine ,Fl

Beverly Beach, Bunnell, Flagler Beach, Marineland, Palm Coast, Crescent Beach, Fort Matanzas, Fruit Cove, Hastings, Marineland, Palm Valley, Ponte Vedra, Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach, Switzerland, Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Mayport, Neptune Beach, Amelia Island, Bryceville, Callahan, Fernandina Beach, Hilliard.
Jamie
Fisher

Fishing in St. Augustine ,Fl

Post by Jamie »

I'm going to St Augustine, Fl for a week and i don't know where to fish. Where is the best saltwater fishing surf or pier?

opiato
Old Salt

Re: Fishing in St. Augustine ,Fl

Post by opiato »

Just about anywhere in that area is great for surf fishing! I usually go to Vilano Beach, which is at St. Augustine Inlet, but it can get pretty crowded there during the day. Anastasia State Park is great too, and has a pier. There's also a good lagoon in there to net bait and fish too. Just watch for the oyster beds. I wouldn't waste time on the pier by Vilano beach though. I've only been there a couple times, and saw nothing come over the rails on my first trip and then only 2 flounders on my second. Some locals tell me it's not a very hot spot too.

Jamie
Fisher

Post by Jamie »

Thanks for the info weekend warrior. I'm from Georgia and don't saltwater fish. What type of bait should I use?

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

If you've got the gear to keep live bait, I like shrimp, mud minnows, or finger mullet. If you'll be using frozen, I'd go with clams. They do especially well in the surf. They can fall off the hook pretty easy, so be sure to keep pinning the hook through it as much as you can, and don't cut real big pieces. Just enough to fit snug on the hook. I like using the fish finder rig with a 1/0 circle hook.

Bcgbrasil
Fisher

Post by Bcgbrasil »

The St. Aug beach near guana is where I do most of my fishing. Especially durring the pompano run.I you can't keep live bait in the surf. Try fresh dead shrimp first. Clams work great but take some skill to keep on a hook. Best way to keep them on if you really want to use clams is to bring little 1" squared pieces of cheese cloth. Wrap up the clam and it'll stay on better. Use a drop rig with a 3oz pyramid. You should at least pull in a few whiting and small sharks.Fishfinder works too.

Return to “Flagler-St johns-Duval-Nassau”