January fishing around St. Augustine?

Beverly Beach, Bunnell, Flagler Beach, Marineland, Palm Coast, Crescent Beach, Fort Matanzas, Fruit Cove, Hastings, Marineland, Palm Valley, Ponte Vedra, Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach, Switzerland, Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Mayport, Neptune Beach, Amelia Island, Bryceville, Callahan, Fernandina Beach, Hilliard.
rthensley
Fisher

January fishing around St. Augustine?

Post by rthensley »

I am trying to plan a long weekend fishing/camping trip. Someone suggested Matanzas Inlet.

I would be coming down on January, 17th and staying 3-4 nights.

How would the fishing be during this time?

Shore fishing options?

Pier fishing options?

How about camping (tent) spots?

Thanks,
Trevor

johnnysspaceship
Fisher

Re: January fishing around St. Augustine?

Post by johnnysspaceship »

Haven't been in years but sheepshead are always a winter favorite. Usually thick down there dec-march. Go to the jetty inland and south of the matanzas bridge. Big bull reds are in too. Believe it or not, the best pole I ever used for sheepies off the jetties was a cane pole! You can really see when they bite on that soft tip and you can get out over the edge of the jetty better too. Get some fiddlers n a good Kahle or circle hook 1/o or a little smaller then a split shot around 12" up. Drift the fiddler just above above bottom perfectly with the current until you see the line moving or feel a little tug. Then set the heck out of it. You gotta set hard on the sheepies and it can be frustrating..

For the reds find some mullet (live are best) good size cut bait works too. Use a knocker rig with 14-20# test and 30# flouro leader. If your going for bulls I'd make the leader 4' or so. Use at least a 1/o circle hook if not 2,3/o.

I mainly used to fish the big jetty way out north of Anastasia state park. Fishing the end of te outgoing tide was best right where the Oceanside jetty meets the beach. Inshore
Side was best on incoming.

There's all kinda of good fish to target other than that. Seatrout and even some hold over flounder will be around.

Return to “Flagler-St johns-Duval-Nassau”