why does everyone baitfish when surf fishing NE FL?

Beverly Beach, Bunnell, Flagler Beach, Marineland, Palm Coast, Crescent Beach, Fort Matanzas, Fruit Cove, Hastings, Marineland, Palm Valley, Ponte Vedra, Ponte Vedra Beach, St. Augustine, St. Augustine Beach, Switzerland, Atlantic Beach, Baldwin, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Beach, Mayport, Neptune Beach, Amelia Island, Bryceville, Callahan, Fernandina Beach, Hilliard.
bigyellowtuna
Seasoned Fisher

why does everyone baitfish when surf fishing NE FL?

Post by bigyellowtuna »

There are countless # of NE FL surf fishing reports on the web, but none mention using lures. Fished two mornings this week in Palm Coast. First morning I did what NE FL locals do and used sand fleas and fishbites. There were all the panfish you wanted -- almost all spot croakers, but some whiting mixed in as well....and one catfish. Kept enough for a meal for two, but it is too much work cleaning 7 fish for a meal....not sure I'd do it again. Day two I decided I was tired of panfish, pomps were non existent, and I'm not into shark fishing. I said screw it, I'm tossing a mirrodine. I had enough action to justify doing it again some day when I'm up that way again. Caught a bluefish, snagged a mullet and some other type of baitfish and of course the big one got away -- hooked something that took a some drag, jumped entirely out of the water, shook his head and the hook came unglued. Looked to be about 3 feet long, but I didn't get a positive ID. Not sure if tarpon frequent the beach up there, but if they do, my first guess is tarpon, second guess is kingfish. I'm thinking it was too big to be a bluefish or a ladyfish (not sure if ladyfish frequent that area either). If only panfish are biting in the surf I'd much rather walk the beach tossing a lure....though fish seem to only bite during the first hour of light.

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Re: why does everyone baitfish when surf fishing NE FL?

Post by Sandbar »

If you would've took the snagged mullet and used it live on a bottom rig then you would've found out why.

Return to “Flagler-St johns-Duval-Nassau”