Where and when to shark fish?

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
BillyWygle
Fisher

Where and when to shark fish?

Post by BillyWygle »

Hey everyone, just joined the forum. Just caught my first two sharks this past weekend, really not even trying. But since then I seriously can't stop thinking about catching another big one.

Thing is, I am trying to watch videos of rigs and rod/reels to use, everything. I want to know if any of you could sort of spell out the best times and places to catch them. I'm not asking to tell me your secrets, just some good places to fish. Does anyone use specific websites they trust for fishing accuracy, like http://www.tides4fishing.com or anything like that?

I am planning on hitting up Canaveral National in the early morning tomorrow, and Sebastian next Friday night camping out through Saturday. Anyone wanna meet up and fish?!?!

Anything you could let me in on would be appreciated! Also, here is a pic of my first real shark (earlier in the day I caught a 2' baby). It's not much, but hopefully one day I will be able to post some monsters!

I love fishing any time. My name is Billy 407-375-9005 text or call if you have room for an extra body to go shark fishing!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Where and when to shark fish?

Post by fixed80 »

if you want to get serious into shark fishing then you would need the typically shark gear like 6/0, 9/0, 12/0 or 14/0. medium to heavy rods rating 50 - 100lb is a must is great to have. its an expensive sport like talking 1500 to 2000 bucks and more for almost everything you need. most people of course just buy a little and eventually buy more throught the years which is okay if you ask me. traveling is another big spender also especially if you live mid state far from the ocean. i will give you a call and try to help you out some.
Oh and by the way... the weeds are bad at the beach. i was going to go today but someone
told me the sea weed was out there and caking up there lines yesterday. maybe you might want to second though it. next week might be calmer and the weed shouldn't be as bad.

BillyWygle
Fisher

Post by BillyWygle »

Thanks for the info. I definitely plan to start investing. As of right now I only have two Penn 800 series reels. The old ones before they outsourced and started having plastic pieces. They are amazing.

Basically I need to take another trip to Bass Pro!!! I see some pretty serious gut busters in a lot of pictures here. I will have to think about one of those too. Do most people have to kayak the bait out or can you just try and fling it the best you can? Im sure the can sniff out the blood but what do most people do to get their bait where it needs to be.

Please call me up! There is always more to learn and bigger fish to. Catch! Looking forward to it.

reelemin
KING MACKEREL

Post by reelemin »

you gotta start some where!!! nice start..

the best time to fish is any time the weather is right,you never know when the monsters will be crusin..

try to pick up some used gear if you cant afford new.. but some big gear like fixed 80 says will be prime..

in my eyes the best time to fish is when ever i have time.. it doesnt matter the tide ,only the weather conditions...the fish eat ever day just like people do.. over time you catch on to some patterns and you will get better in time.. just have fun!!!

good luck there ar some big fish in the area you are fishing!! i have proved it!!! so hold on when you get a bite!!!

good luck
http://barrettrods.com/

builder of high performance custom fishing rods

Mick23
Fisher

Post by Mick23 »

For leaders you should use size 15 wire anywhere from 8 to 15 feet depending on the size of shark you want. I prefer to use 12 foot leaders to prevent a tail whip. with size 10.0 to 13.00 J hooks and a barrel swivel that holds at least 350 lbs. To attach everything use what is called a haywire twist if you are unable to complete this you can always use crimps . As for bait I use bonitas in steak like
chunks. Jack cravelle I usually use half of it. Barracuda fillet strips or butterfly them aka removing all organs and backbone. Blue runners whole. Blue fish either whole or the head. Sting rays and skates work exceptionally well but are hard
to catch not to mention there a few species that
are protected so you might want to be careful. Hope this helps you out a bit. If anyone would like to add to this feel free.

yankneck696
Seasoned Fisher

Post by yankneck696 »

If you get a good enough spinning reel, you can use an air cannon. Look up "Bait air cannon" on Google. A long topshot is nessecary to soak up the shock, then braid. Of course, a steel leader is mandatory. You freeze your bait in a candle mold with your leader & weight. You can send it out 100-200 yards. I would personally suggest a good 12V cooler & blue ice packs to keep to keep your bait bullets ready.
Some people build bridges. Some people fish off the bridges. Some people burn their bridges. Others should just be pushed off the bridge.
Caught by hand.

Cerberus
Fisher

Post by Cerberus »

You can get started relatively easy & inexpensively. Get a good Penn 4/0 or 6/0 Senator, or a Daiwa Sealine 400, 450 or 600. Mate with an appropriate 6-7 ft 50-80lb rod. Spool with 30-40lb line and the termial rig of your choice and you're on your way.

Look up "castable shark rigs" and you'll find plenty of good ideas

Get on a beach when the high tide is coming in around evening. Cast a bluefish head or half a jack or ladyfish into the first trough and wait. You'll get hit sooner than later. You might be surprised at the size of sharks that come in that close.

Once you get a few under your belt you'll know if you want to upgrade and throw bigger bucks at this or not, and you'll have a good idea of what you need if you do.

Kevin
Weekend Warrior

Post by Kevin »

I prefer at night, and in the ocean :D

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Cerberus wrote: Cast a bluefish head or half a jack or ladyfish into the first trough and wait. You'll get hit sooner than later. You might be surprised at the size of sharks that come in that close.
I know what you mean, once caught a big slob of a nurse shark literally in the wash, its scary how close to shore they do come
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Fisherman Bees
Fisher

Post by Fisherman Bees »

Sounds like you received some good advice. I too want to get into shark fishing and got a lot of information from your question. I snagged a bonnithead in Vero. Catch and release of course.

Return to “Shark'in Info”