Time of day

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
opiato
Old Salt

Time of day

Post by opiato »

I know playing the tides right is important, but how bout time of day? I always do my shark fishing at night, but was just wondering how productive a day trip would be. Like would a chunk of stingray have the same chances of gettin hit at 2pm as it would at 2am? Or is it not even worth the effort of deploying the bait? Fishing in central east and west fl btw. Thanks in advance

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Time of day

Post by fixed80 »

went to Sebastian inlet today around 2:30 to 4:30pm on the south jetty. hooked a shark but the fish cut through the hook. seaweed was incredibly bad on that side. you should target them in the afternoon on outgoing tide. use a jack, blue, mullet or ladyfish. there way better then the rays.

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

Thanks for sharing. I was actually there this morning too, but fished from that new dock by the campgrounds cuz like u said, the seaweed was insane. Bout 4am I hooked a ladyfish. Cut it in half n cast it out. Yer right, theyre better than rays. Bout 10 min later it got picked up, but he wrapped himself around the boat parked there and popped the leader off :roll: id like to do a day trip some time cuz these late nights r killin me. Just wanted to see if its worth while before I waste a precious day off and gas $

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

yes daytime is also very productive! was sharking off john u lloyd park in Dania in the heat of the day around 1 pm, unfortunately no kayaks or anything so I had to swim out the baits :shock: :shock: needless to say my first bait was picked up in less than 5 minutes, unfortunately he spit the hook only leaving a ripped up piece of bait on my hook, took out a second one after re-baiting and it was picked up again by another shark just under 10 minutes, he ran for about 5 seconds then just dropped the bait and didnt come back, didnt catch any that day but there was activity and I know many people who catch them during the middle of the day so yes, hope this answers your question, give it a shot!! :thumright: :thumright:
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

opiato
Old Salt

Post by opiato »

That's very encouraging to hear. I feel your pain about not having a yak. I've got an 11' heaver, so I usually just try to cast my bait as far as I can, but if I get set up before sun down, I'll take the chance of swimming the bait out too. What I do though is I get a small bucket to hold the bait above the water in til I'm ready to drop it. This way I'm at least not surrounding myself with the lovely aromas of delicious fish guts. If you can find a small bucket made of styrofoam, that's even better cause it'll float. Less work holding it above water.

Return to “Shark'in Info”