Wire? Cable? Does it matter?

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
opiato
Old Salt

Wire? Cable? Does it matter?

Post by opiato »

I spent the nigth on Skyway pier last night. Originally I went looking for my first tarpon, but after not being able to find any, and landing a ladyfish on my light gear, I switched plans and went to try yet again for my first decent sized shark. It was just before the tide changed from outgoing to incoming that I cut the ladyfish in half and chucked it out. A couple hours later, I cast out the other half. Still no bite hours later. Luckily I got a nice sized bluefish just then. Cut him in half and changed out the ladyfish for that. Hours go by, still no bite. At the next tide change and right at sunrise, I cast out the last half of the bluefish. Still nothing touched it. :shock:
I find it so hard to believe that such great shark bait could soak out there all night, in all tides, kept fresh, and still not even get touched. Could it be my presentation? I use heavy spinning gear to keep it castable (and I don't trust myself with conventionals yet). 50lb braid with an 80lb mono shock leader and about 2 feet of 90lb cable leader to a 10/0 offset circle (targeting medium sharks in the 5-6ft range). Current was moderate. I used a 4oz egg sinker. Before I invest in experimenting with wire to replace to cable, I just wanted to ask for some people's opinions on this or any other suggestions with the rig. Thanks in advance :toast:

Green Tide
SHARKER

Re: Wire? Cable? Does it matter?

Post by Green Tide »

Sounds like you should have gotten hooked up. contrary to what allot of people think even the sharks are not feeding all the time.
There is supposed to be a great rocky area on the gulf side of that bridge that you can float a bait out to. May even get a cuda(more shark bait) or grouper out there.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

Signguy
Weekend Warrior

Post by Signguy »

NOt to promote another site but, there is a forum, started by a morning fishing show host on the west coast. He is no longer with us, but the forum lives on. The skyway section is one of the most comprehensive I have seen. As for the rocks on the Gulf side, that is the former span of the bridge they demolished after the ship destroyed it, then they built the new bridge. I used to fish the south pier, with a guy that was dating my sister in law. We would fish 6 light poles in from the north end. cast as far as we could and on an outgoing tide, be able to get right up to the rocks. Took a few break offs, to get the correct amount of line out (Used a sharpie to mark the line) then mostly fished for pinfish and little stuff while waiting for the grouper to hit. All my luck was with a tight line, any slack or using the clicker let them get back into the rocks before I could pull them out.
A true fisherman approaches the first day of fishing much
as a child approaches Christmas, with the eager
anticipation, sleepless nights, making of lists,
and the anticipating of pleasure.

Firemedic
Fisher

Post by Firemedic »

Signguy wrote:NOt to promote another site but, there is a forum, started by a morning fishing show host on the west coast. He is no longer with us, but the forum lives on. The skyway section is one of the most comprehensive I have seen. As for the rocks on the Gulf side, that is the former span of the bridge they demolished after the ship destroyed it, then they built the new bridge. I used to fish the south pier, with a guy that was dating my sister in law. We would fish 6 light poles in from the north end. cast as far as we could and on an outgoing tide, be able to get right up to the rocks. Took a few break offs, to get the correct amount of line out (Used a sharpie to mark the line) then mostly fished for pinfish and little stuff while waiting for the grouper to hit. All my luck was with a tight line, any slack or using the clicker let them get back into the rocks before I could pull them out.

You must be referring to the late great Captain Mel. He was one of the best stewards of conservationism. I learned so much listening. Reel animals is a good show, but those shoes wil never be filled. The forum is still busy.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

i think it was the way you were fishing maybe next time you should try a peace of chain an a inner tube always works in the movies
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

MichaelAngelo
Fisher

Post by MichaelAngelo »

Signguy wrote:As for the rocks on the Gulf side, that is the former span of the bridge they demolished after the ship destroyed it, then they built the new bridge.
Check this out guys:

http://goo.gl/maps/tvzNS

That's a google maps shot of the south pier. Check out all the patterns of structure that radiate out from the pier! I read they did this on purpose to create habitat.

Now, I'm not sure if this is what Signguy and Green Tide are talking about. These "fingers" are about 50-60 yards away from the pier itself. Also, they'd be easy to miss since you could land your rig in-between two "fingers".

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

4 oz is not much for a large bait. Was there much current running?
Opiato you also said the tarpon were not feeding so maybe it was just a slow night.
I am not a sharker but I I think they use single strand on those smaller rigs.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

tears143
KING MACKEREL

Post by tears143 »

MichaelAngelo wrote:
Signguy wrote:As for the rocks on the Gulf side, that is the former span of the bridge they demolished after the ship destroyed it, then they built the new bridge.
Check this out guys:

http://goo.gl/maps/tvzNS

That's a google maps shot of the south pier. Check out all the patterns of structure that radiate out from the pier! I read they did this on purpose to create habitat.

Now, I'm not sure if this is what Signguy and Green Tide are talking about. These "fingers" are about 50-60 yards away from the pier itself. Also, they'd be easy to miss since you could land your rig in-between two "fingers".
Yes, Those are the rock reefs that was stacked there with the old skyway bridge materials. That's where you'll catch the groupers... hint hint.

If you look at the pilling under the bridge, you'll see that after 3 pilling... or 2.. don't remember then there's one row where they have 6 pilling instead of the usual 4. Straight out from there is the rock pilling. This hold true for the SSP, I am not sure on the NSP. I don't fish the NSP often but do with the SSP.

Return to “Shark'in Info”