Florida Keys Channel 5 [ SHARK HELP]

This is for Shark info, Tagging , How tos, baits of choice, etc.
david17
Fisher

Florida Keys Channel 5 [ SHARK HELP]

Post by david17 »

Well i go down to the keys every once in a while and stay the night [On the pier] usually Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon i go to Channel 5 Which is in mile marker 71 and I usually catch some Mackerel and few groupers even a Goliath Once but the one thing Is SHARK. Biggest shark I've caught there was a around 5' Nurse but Every time i go i Lose 2 or 3 Sharks they are just TOOO damn Strong, i've spoken to other people in there and they say they've caught 12+ Feet long sharks there. so after that long boring paragraph

My question is what would you suggest to target sharks? That includes reel, bait and rig. i usually get the big sharks [that always brake my leader] with Some 12"+ Mangloves or a piece of ladyfish. I Use some 115 pound Wire leader should that be more around like 300 pound leader?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Re: Florida Keys Channel 5 [ SHARK HELP]

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

To fight big sharks in the Keys you need big gear. Most people use 12/0 or 14/0 Senators, you want something that can hold close to 1000 yards of 130 lb mono. When I used to shark fish down there, I used a 14/0 filled with 130 lb mono, a 20 foot 300 lb wind-on leader, and then about 10 feet of heavy wire (don't remember the # but it was about as heavy as it comes). Even with these setups, a big hammerhead in the current can still spool you.

david17
Fisher

Post by david17 »

strizile wrote:You talking 400 pound wire Rory

And yea Rory is spot-on

And yepp yepp a nice size Hammer or even a big bull could possibly even with those setups spool ya or nearly spool ya.

Do not do that alone. Have someone with you to handle the Shark - release and all and not to get pulled in the drink if that Hammer decides to take ya for a ride cuz the weather is nice.
Yea i always go with a few people, and One of my friend says he Got some Pretty Big Gear He didn't Remember what they were because his father has them but he says they're Big enough to fight just about any shark. i guess i'll see next time i go down there i really want to fight one of those big monsters.

and about the bait , what do you guys prefer i know sharks like bonito and lady fish and rays for Hammerheads but is there any other unresistible bait for a nice Bull or black tip?

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

The key is fresh for your bait. I like cudas, bonita, jacks, stingrays and bonnetheads from the bridges.

Return to “Shark'in Info”