VIEW ALL NEW POSTS HERE - Click Here

saltwater killing reels HELP

[ View new posts ]

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here

saltwater killing reels HELP

Postby Belen » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:24 am

I keep killing reels, just wondering if anyone has any tips on which reels might be more durable than others. I kayak most wknds either in Sydney harbour or slightly offshore around the heads. Every now and again i have accidents where my reels getting slightly or occasionally fully dunked in the brine! I try my best to avoid it, have high rod holders etc...but still can't avoid it completely. So far i've killed 2 penn live liners, a shimano cazna and loads of cheapy reels. My siennas seem to have fared the luckiest. I always tighten my drag and rinse my reels in freshwater after every use, and oil the bearings every couple of weeks. Anyone got any tips for not super expensive reels that are durable for kayak fishing? Or any tips for helping to avoid the corrosion?
new article on my website
Belen
Fisher

Re: saltwater killing reels HELP

Postby YakPirate » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:14 pm

A penn 706z, basically a wench with a good drag. The classic coffee grinder reel used for swimming in the surf.
You see this real has around a dozen parts. Very easy to breakdown, degrease, clean, rebuild and pack the thing with penn reel grease to keep it corrosion resistant. Will last a lifetime. :reeling:
YakPirate
Fisher

Return to Rod & Reels & Wraps