Building a rod for Pendulum cast

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
kblue
SHARKER

Re: Building a rod for Pendulum cast

Post by kblue »

gruntking wrote:
Sandbar wrote:The tip is big. I'm guessing around a 20 / 22 size.

Be careful loading it up for power casting. The last thing you want is the rod breaking at one of the multi pieces mid cast.

Breaking rods is something he is seriously use to doing
What you know about me breaking rods is not even close to me know about me breaking rods...
I have been breaking a lot of rods... early day carbon rods... But I still have one 5.6 meter telescopic carbon rod with me that I bought in 1989 with money I bought after doing some tutor work...

BTW, I have been breaking and fixing this particular rod a few times that I am resurrecting for pendulum cast.... somehow I kept it over 15 years...

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I have question about conventional reel casting... I have no problem of casting reel with cast controls...like torium or saltist...(of course no problem with magnetic control)...

A few weeks ago, I tried a long cast with Okuma Makaira that have no cast control what so ever...and I get small bird nest in middle of line going out...
I didn't spend a lot of time to figure it out with my thumb control... Is this normal with reel without cast control?

I plan to use Okuma Metaloid because it is small and light....but it has no cast control...But if it is problem, I will have to use torium 30...

Hit me up with some tips...

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

gruntking wrote:Breaking rods is something he is seriously use to doing
Then he needs to put down zee rods and pick up zee hand line. :biglaugh:

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

Use the torium

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

Then buy a boat...

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

That boat video is so funny... LMAF

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

LOL

Did you get a chance to cast the rod with the torium?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Not yet
Sometime this week

HJared
KING MACKEREL

Post by HJared »

I can cast to Mexico with my torium 16 hga on 9 foot rod with 50lb braid

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

HJared wrote:I can cast to Mexico with my torium 16 hga on 9 foot rod with 50lb braid
Very impressive... your cast would make one 360 deg turn over the earth if you use your torium on 15ft with 20 LB braid...

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I am going to the beach Ft Lauderdale where we can fish 24/7...to test the rod and cast...with two reels, torium 30 and transformer 50ch.
torium has cast control, 60LB top shot mono about 20ft and 200LB braid...
transformer 50ch has magnetic control, 80yard top shot and 30LB braid...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

kblue wrote: 200LB braid...

(tommy

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I know...
But that is what is on right now... am still waiting for 20LB...

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

OK... I am back...didn't break the rod yet... I was lucky that i had 200LB braid...easy to deal with bird nest...I think I found a few difference between traditional overhead cast Vs pendulum... This was my first of pendulum cast...

First, thumb control
because of fast tip action, overhead cast with conv reel was hard to train the thumb..,but pendulum cast doesn't need much of thumb control...
This seems major advantage of pendulum cast...not even single bird nest from pendulum.

Second
P cast is hard to cast straight... I had to figure out release point.

Third
Pendulum goes far
I didn't whip the rod for pendulum but it went much further than overhead cast...

I heard it take 6 months or more to be good pendulum cast.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I need conv. reel with most powerful magnetic or centrifugal brake... otherwise, I can not do power cast...
Thumb control kills distance...not fast enough for power cast...and my finger print will be gone.

Any recommendation on reel?

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Blue, did you think that the thumb kills the distance or the user? From most the video i have seen they are using Abu reels which has neither.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I thought ABU reel has a sophisticated centrifugal brake system...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

(tommy ....so now you know your answer...

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

"I want to resurrect my broken freaking-long rod as pendulum-casting rod...whatever that is...

Great thread. Can't believe I gave up the commie routine with all the easy material being offered up. This is going to be another great blurod with only four of the sections weighing a tad under 16 pounds lol.(************)

As far as the pendulum cast............close your xxxxxx eyes and imagine a pendulum swinging underneath a grandfather clock. See the motion? Watch the motion. Keep your eyes closed and imagine turning the same movement upside down so that it swings in a large overhead arc. Now hold the rod in two hands about 30 inches apart and quickly ..............snap the rod over your knee. That's how they all end up anyway. No reason to waste time
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

btw GK and Rare both throw the farthest I've seen in a while. Hard to describe but they "lauch" to lead straight out instead of in a more pronounced arc. When it loses momentum it just drops. Looks like a scalene triangle.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Kingofthesea wrote: As far as the pendulum cast............close your xxxxxx eyes and imagine a pendulum swinging underneath a grandfather clock. See the motion? Watch the motion. Keep your eyes closed and imagine turning the same movement upside down so that it swings in a large overhead arc.
good advice for shadow practice :thumright:
Did you finish tuna yet?

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:(tommy ....so now you know your answer...
I can't believe this... I had bought ABU Garcia 6600 C4 about 8 years ago at bass pro shop... I opened it and this reel has centrifugal brake system... I remove level winder...Now, I need to figure out how to tune the brake system...

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

It's not the reel. Whatever you were using was accidentally set up perfectly for the rod length, reel, line and weight and the pendulum cast which is why it sailed far without backlash. The overhand cast requires the perfect release point for maximum distance and is less forgiving. Some guys could outfish most of us with a broomstick and kite string.

Is this stick officially the longest surviving rod in your arsenal at two trips?

Rob762
Fisher

Post by Rob762 »

kblue wrote:
STRIZ wrote:You gonna use an Aussie Sidecast reel.
It appears to me side cast reel will not go far...because of line friction with guide and within spool.
But you got the point...I may need a special conv reel that spool speed is fast but not too fast...I think torium 30 with some cast control will do...
Penn Mag reels, or an Ambassadeur 10000 that is set up for casting..... Will throw a mile...

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

:stupid: there was a few threads on how to mag your squidder.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

crashmister wrote::stupid: there was a few threads on how to mag your squidder.
I just figured out how to tune centrifugal brake... Yes, there are some good threads by Xpierrat...

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

That's Rick....kblue. Good guys

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

[quote="Kingofthesea"]It's not the reel. /quote]

It is the reel that does magic for long cast with conventional...

I did my 2nd test with ABU Garcia 6600 C4 that comes with centrifugal brake...
I tuned it a few times. In terms of how it works, I believe centrifugal brake is better than magnetic brake...
centrifugal brake is triggered by centrifugal acceleration. Once spool turn speed is at constant, it is off as there is no centrifugal acceleration.
Magnetic brake appears that it creates permanent presence of magnetic force (depending on distance between two magnets) that decelerates spool speed. Even if spool turn speed is at constant, magnetic force will continuously reduce spool speed.
So magnetic brake can reduce the distance much more than centrifugal brake.
Well-tuned centrifugal brake works better than educated thumb control...

Anyway, I did a few nice smoking casts where literally 1/2 spool was gone just by overhead cast... probably well over 100 yards.
But I had problem with pendulum cast because I can't trace the weight landing. After landing, it created the worst birds nest with 20LB mono(I am saving my 20LB braid until I feel I am ready)... I ended up cutting the lines.

ABU Garcia 6600 C4 is awesome reel because of centrifugal brake... This Swedish reel is well designed for long cast...Something no other reels have.
I speculate ABU has some patents on centrifugal brake so that no one can build the reel like ABU. But except the brake system, everything else seems all wrong... Reel handle was so bad though... too much pain of retrieving line... drag is so little... I think I will upgrade the handle.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Post by gruntking »

Look when this build is done please lmk I would love to meet up at a football field or park maybe even a pier with a nice T so we can cast a couple times
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Surely will do...
That will be a fun.... I am comfortable with rod...but l will have to work on the reel...

Remember you need to hold the reel spool by left hand thumb....

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”