Blank suggestions

We have a good many rod builders here and also those with much to offer about reels, so if you need help with Rods-Reels- or Wrapping do it here
bigboyjames11
Old Salt

Blank suggestions

Post by bigboyjames11 »

I am in the market for a new rod but I cant decide on a blank. This rod will be used only for live baiting medium sized baits (blue runner) for kings off the pier. Here's what I'm looking for in a blank. This will be a conventional build, 9ft, fishing 17-20lb mono. I will be holding this rod for long periods so a light blank with enough power to stop a good king. I have a few calstar's but they are heavy. I've looked into the Phenix black diamond hybrid series but just not sure I want to spend $200 on a blank I haven't held. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, James
only the big and strong survive

bigboyjames11
Old Salt

Re: Blank suggestions

Post by bigboyjames11 »

PaulieBoy wrote:Rainshadow SW1088
That's another 1 I was looking at. I have a SW1087 I use for lures.
only the big and strong survive

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Pb, What about them united compostive blank? Always heard good things about them when they were GUSA. Looks like that company is taking off

Not sure you guys know that calstar having trouble filling orders. 2 plus year now. They cant fill the orders and are having a hard time keeping up and there is a reason. No, their blanks are still great and its not that it but time for the new waves
Calstar and founder Leon Todd are a big part of the foundation of our West Coast and long range fishing. Nothing but respect for Leon and what he created. He's an amazing man, one of those guys like Carl Newell, Russ Izor, who will be remembered for what they contributed to LR fishing for decades to come. He applied state of the art techniques, materials, in creation of his rods - state of the art with technology from the '50's and 60's. Things advance, the fellow who originally started United Composites (then GUSA) applied technology from the 90's for his designs and more advanced materials.

With Randy at UC, I have confidence in their future, and want to be in a position to support the line. With respect to Calstar, I've been proud to represent the line, but for the past two years it's been impossible to represent the line properly given production that did not reflect what was needed/ordered, and required for customer orders. We had backorders from 2015, and I'm the person who called our clients to apologize for that fact. When Randy tells me I'll have something in 2 or 3 weeks, it happens.

Looking towards the future rather than the past, recognizing that reality and where we want to be positioned, I made a hard call. If I was only concerned with our shops, we could limp along filling our racks with whatever I could grab at Calstar. Our eggs were in their basket, and while our volume of business with CS increased by over 50% in 2015 it should have doubled given that we were not working with Seeker given their changes from being a rod producer to being a wrapper of other firm's blanks. Our business with Calstar grew simply because I grabbed whatever i could get - but not necessarily what our clients wanted or ordered. Backorders grew, with no resolution.

With our on-line business, folks order what they want rather than simply what we have on hand in the racks. So, backorders create problems for our clients and for us. Reality is that Calstar will have a new owner, and until that occurs backorders will be an unresolved problem, as it has been demonstrated the past two years. So, I simply gave up on the past and placed my bet on the future. The fact that I personally like and respect Randy at UC, have always considered GUSA/UC the better technology and designs, made that call easier to make.

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Was it 2013 when UC reopened under new mgt.?

Over at BD UC has been all the rave. Calstar and new waves huh - well I guess their product development has not been so aggressive than others and their has been a few new people on the block as well. Competition is stiff and btw lighter LOL
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

The united composistes look very nice, and they make tons of options in 9 footers, from graphite to composites. Only problem is you will be ordering blind as it's a west coast thing.

If you think calstars are heavy you're going to want to open the wallet and go graphite as calstars are one of the lighter composite offerings out there.

Check out some musky blanks, they could work for what you want.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

http://www.mudhole.com/MHX-MU108H-Musky ... -Rod-Blank

I have my reason to believe this MHX graphite blank is manufactured by another top brand company... lol

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

What reason do you have...Either it is or it is not!

rekehs
Seasoned Fisher

Post by rekehs »

you dont want the phenix hybrid for live baiting, stiffer tip than the usual "LB" series blanks for live bait.
if you want a united composites, look at the challenger elite, it is composite, graphite mid and a composite tip.
Amtak came out with a new live bait blank if you're in a budget.
MHX came out with a new live bait rod too, nice bouncy tip.
problem with both amtak and mhxx is the butt, both bigger than a calstar telephone pole.
kblue wrote:http://www.mudhole.com/MHX-MU108H-Musky ... -Rod-Blank

I have my reason to believe this MHX graphite blank is manufactured by another top brand company... lol
MHX is not manufaactured by any top brand company.
I know for a fact, i had 8 prototype rods given to me by Todd and i asked a buncha questions about it.
modulus, graphite or composite, action, power, rating, where it's made, was the mandrel custom made, who rolled it, etc.

r00kieAngler
Weekend Warrior

Post by r00kieAngler »

bigboyjames11 wrote:
What would you say the action of the sw1087 rod mod-fast or fast ? What's a comfortable lure weight for throwing flairhawks ?

rekehs
Seasoned Fisher

Post by rekehs »

r00kieAngler wrote:
bigboyjames11 wrote:
What would you say the action of the sw1087 rod mod-fast or fast ? What's a comfortable lure weight for throwing flairhawks ?
the 1087 is moderate-fast, bends down "C" curve.
1.5oz jig is ideal, maxes out 2.5-3, throwing heavier go for the 1088.
for cobia's on piers go for the 1089.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

rekehs wrote:
kblue wrote:http://www.mudhole.com/MHX-MU108H-Musky ... -Rod-Blank

MHX is not manufaactured by any top brand company.
I know for a fact, i had 8 prototype rods given to me by Todd and i asked a buncha questions about it.
modulus, graphite or composite, action, power, rating, where it's made, was the mandrel custom made, who rolled it, etc.
You should've asked if that company is rolling blanks for any other known brands...
I should've said above " I have my reason to believe this MHX graphite blank is manufactured by OEM company who may roll blanks for other top brand company."
While I agree that rolling and heat process are important, the source of their carbon prepreg is more important... I saw at least one MHX blank using toray prepreg... that blank can't go wrong as long as they don't make 2 pc blank...lol

Return to “Rod & Reels & Wraps”