want to buy a yak

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
grouperking
Old Salt

want to buy a yak

Post by grouperking »

okay so ive been looking for a yak thtas not so much and i will probably use it every other week and i dont want anything too expensive
lmk what you guys think i should get :reeling:

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: want to buy a yak

Post by krash »

What do you plan to use it for ?

What are your physical traits ?

There is a big difference in living on the water and having a dock in your back yard with a recreational kayak on the bank or dock that you'll paddle for an hour or so, compared to loading and humping a kayak on the roof of a vehicle to a launch site for inshore flats fishing or offshore reef donkey trips.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

HumanClaymore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by HumanClaymore »

krash wrote:What do you plan to use it for ?

There is a big difference in living on the water and having a dock in your back yard with a recreational kayak on the bank or dock that you'll paddle for an hour or so, compared to loading and humping a kayak on the roof of a vehicle to a launch site for inshore flats fishing or offshore reef donkey trips.
Got to agree with this. My yak weighs close to 70lbs, and I live on the 2nd floor of an apartment. By the time I drag it down the steps, get it on the roof, unload it and get it all set for fishing, I don't even feel like paddling anymore.

If you're dead set on cheap, look at Lifetime. Mine is a three person from them which retails for about $500 new. The nice thing about them is the split keel, which makes it really, really hard to capsize while standing up. The downside is they're not the smoothest 'yak out there. You could probably find less seating for less money (and less weight to boot).
Do the truffle shuffle!

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

krash wrote:What do you plan to use it for ?

well i plan to use it as a fishing kayak and plan to go off of dania beach........ I live in miami so pretty much im going to be loading and unloading the kayak and its gonna be rather difficult but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.. :happyfisherman:

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

That's the first time I've heard of anybody complaining about the hassle of a kayak
That is my problem back in the day I had a johnboat and it was the same thing load unload unload all your crap the on the ground load the kayak put everything back it and over and over.
A trailer increase the pleasure by several times. But that was also some of the most simple fishing time that I've had and there's a lot of prep work even when you have a boat. Clean it before you go clean it when you get home general maintenance.
That is why sure bound fishing is very appealing when you're in a place that you can actually catch fish like the keys.
Good luck.be safe and tether all your stuff.

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

Green Tide wrote:That's the first time I've heard of anybody complaining about the hassle of a kayak
That is my problem back in the day I had a johnboat and it was the same thing load unload unload all your crap the on the ground load the kayak put everything back it and over and over.
A trailer increase the pleasure by several times. But that was also some of the most simple fishing time that I've had and there's a lot of prep work even when you have a boat. Clean it before you go clean it when you get home general maintenance.
That is why sure bound fishing is very appealing when you're in a place that you can actually catch fish like the keys.
Good luck.be safe and tether all your stuff.
thanks for th :D e advice

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

grouperking wrote:okay so ive been looking for a yak thtas not so much and i will probably use it every other week and i dont want anything too expensive
lmk what you guys think i should get :reeling:
Cvstrat knows everything about yaks and he launches from Dania. Actually, he knows a lot about everything. I suggest shooting him a PM. That's what I would do....very nice guy and you might end up with a yakking partner that knows the ropes off D.

Richard
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

If you are 175 or less and less than say 6', 12' kayak will do, but for offshore I'd suggest 14'.
For in-expensive you should shop on CraigsList and/or local kayak forums. Shopping CL/forums you should expect to save 30% to 50% of retail price, although many think differently and want a lot more for their used kayaks than they are really worth. Most people say I have this and that accessory added and want full price for those as well. You should also expect the seller to include a padded seat and paddle of some sort.
I like to rig stuff myself and you'll find that many times pre-rigged accessories like rod holders and stuff like that are not located quite where you really want them.

You'll need to decide if you want to paddle or pedal, paddle kayaks are much less expensive used or new.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

if anyone still has any advice that would be great and btw this any good?
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/4496651601.html

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Must have been really good or xxx rated its been flagged for removal

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

oh :( its sold

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Depends on size.. fits your requested specs inexpensive... if its 12' it will get you started, but you will soon want something bigger

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

thanks

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

I agree, a 12' will work fine, that's what I have. I wish it was longer tho, longer yaks are faster and usually track better.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

i think ill stick with a 12 cuz im not so strong yeet :nopity:

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Here is a great kayak (Ocean Kayak ScupperPro)for both offshore and inshore, only drawback is it ain't easy to stand in, but they paddle better than most other kayaks, is very stable in true kayak terms, lighter than most 55#, and will last you for years. That was my last kayak, had to give it up due to health issues. Its 15' and bridges waves with the bow riding up and over rather than through on the high seas, and floated in 3" of water with my 200# arse.

Search here and other kayak boards and you'll seldom see any negative reports, but many good ones.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/4525509192.html

Doubles
Weekend Warrior

Post by Doubles »

Since we're on the topic of yaks.

My boy and his dad took me out on their yaks on Saturday night off of Key Biscayne.

Caught a nice blue runner, few grunts and hooked up on some huge lady fish.

This trip was to "wet my feet."

Im hooked.

grouperking
Old Salt

Post by grouperking »

thats me :D :D :D :D

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”