Sharks

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Sharks

Post by Kizer »

What's your take on how to deal with sharks. Having one come at us within poking distance was a little unnerving, although we felt in control the whole time. From my research on spearfishing boards, and the seminar I took, it sounds like free divers are at more risk than scuba. I was told that you are supposed to move towards a shark as to intimidate them, and not frame yourself as the prey. I was also told that this does not always work with the more aggressive species like Bulls, and hammerheads. I was also told to never give them your fish, because it can cause a shark to relate humans to food, or the sound of spears going off as food. I have 2 PPD slip-ons, for really bad situations, but I definitely would rather not have to kill a shark. They have more of a right to be there than I do. Also, maybe I am not paying attention, but I am only hearing of a couple of shark attacks a year in South Florida.

So if your chumming and the sharks come, what do you do, or not chumming but they come anyways? Anyone's advice on this topic would be appreciated.
Kizer

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: Sharks

Post by fishnfool73 »

I have found that the easiest way to deal with the problem is to not go in the water ..... one run in with a big tiger was enough for me .
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Post by ccoope29 »

fishnfool73 wrote:I have found that the easiest way to deal with the problem is to not go in the water ..... one run in with a big tiger was enough for me .
What happend? what did it come at you real bad or what?

We would like to know so we can know whats the best thing to do in that situation. Also good thread to start

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

A couple of us were hanging out in June or July on Anglins. There was a huge school of big silver mullet that were getting busted on just out of casting range. It was a very hot and slow day for pier fishing so we were taking bets as to what was busting the mullet school up. I being the genius that I am ran to my truck grabbed a mask and decided to solve the mystery. I swam out to the school and went under to see if it was snook, tarpon, or cudas. I had the mullet school swim past me in a hurry and then they cleared a huge hole.....I saw him (close enough to see the claspers) coming straight at me. He got about 6 ft. away from me stopped turned quickly crapped and took off like a shot in the opposite direction. I was close enugh to see the stripes on its side. I would guestimate it's size at big enough to eat me in 2 bites around 10 -12 ft. I did my best impersionation of Jesus and walked on water to shore in case it changed its mind. I have had a few other encounters with sharks wading and raking sandfleas. I had a small blacktip stalk me while I was ankle deep raking fleas....just got an eriee feeling I was being watched looked and saw it sneaking up on me. I avoid close encounters with sharks by staying out of the water now..... :lol: Call me a wimp but something about being eaten alive scares the crap out of me.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

fishnfool73 wrote:A couple of us were hanging out in June or July on Anglins. There was a huge school of big silver mullet that were getting busted on just out of casting range. It was a very hot and slow day for pier fishing so we were taking bets as to what was busting the mullet school up. I being the genius that I am ran to my truck grabbed a mask and decided to solve the mystery. I swam out to the school and went under to see if it was snook, tarpon, or cudas. I had the mullet school swim past me in a hurry and then they cleared a huge hole.....I saw him (close enough to see the claspers) coming straight at me. He got about 6 ft. away from me stopped turned quickly crapped and took off like a shot in the opposite direction. I was close enugh to see the stripes on its side. I would guestimate it's size at big enough to eat me in 2 bites around 10 -12 ft. I did my best impersionation of Jesus and walked on water to shore in case it changed its mind. I have had a few other encounters with sharks wading and raking sandfleas. I had a small blacktip stalk me while I was ankle deep raking fleas....just got an eriee feeling I was being watched looked and saw it sneaking up on me. I avoid close encounters with sharks by staying out of the water now..... :lol: Call me a wimp but something about being eaten alive scares the crap out of me.
I would've needed a new bathing suit after that :shock: I was thinking about this earlier today, yesterday several of us were wading chest deep in the middle of a frenzy of blues, macs and ladyfish busting on glass minnows, the water was murky too...wouldn't have been too tough for a wayward shark to take a bite out of one of us.

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

It came right at my buddy. Straight line towards him after the multiple circles around us. It was close enough for him to be poked and turn around and run off for awhile, and to see his teeth.
Kizer

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

Well, everything you mentioned is what i do. I haven't had quite an encounter as you had, and dont plan to, but it seems that you handled yourself correctly.
Kizer wrote: I was told that you are supposed to move towards a shark as to intimidate them, and not frame yourself as the prey.
Yup, be assertive and make it known that you are the "alpha-male"
Kizer wrote:I was also told to never give them your fish, because it can cause a shark to relate humans to food, or the sound of spears going off as food.
Absolutely! Teach them that they will never get free hand-outs from divers
Kizer wrote:I have 2 PPD slip-ons, for really bad situations.
Be VERY careful with powerheads. I'm not sure if you've heard but a while back on the SB forums, a diver accidentally shot himself in the stomach at point-blank range right as he was entering the water. I believe he is doing better but is still going through an intensive recovery. I'm not too sure of all the details but i would be extremely cautious with those.

The bottom line is that a wounded shark, is a dead shark, and if one tries some funny shti with me he's gonna get a nice spear jab to the gills. I do respect sea life and the ocean but i want to be the one going home that day
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

Thanks Dave I appreciate the info. Am I to assume this does not normally happen?
Kizer

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

Kizer wrote:Am I to assume this does not normally happen?
Specifically?
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

It sounds like you have not had many encounters, and I am wondering if I should expect Sharks on a regular basis, or not?
Kizer

WhoDey
KING MACKEREL

Post by WhoDey »

PhishingPhanatic wrote: I would've needed a new bathing suit after that :shock: I was thinking about this earlier today, yesterday several of us were wading chest deep in the middle of a frenzy of blues, macs and ladyfish busting on glass minnows, the water was murky too...wouldn't have been too tough for a wayward shark to take a bite out of one of us.
That thought ran through my head nonstop while we were in the water, considering we were standing about 50 yards away from my bonita chunks on the 80W. In hindsight it gives me the chills, but I had mackfever at the time! :cyclopsani:
Team Locked Drag
2009 Big Hammer Challenge Bridge champs
2009 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs
2008 ShoreBound Tourney Bridge & Pier champs

See us in action!

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

Looking for a used Tandem Kayak to avoid the issue. If I see an aggresive shark, i jump in the Kayak, instead of swimming a 1/2 mile to shore lol.
Kizer

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

I am much faster when a shark is chasing me :)

Just kidding. I understand. Kayak is to drop fish in, my understanding is that some sharks will go for the dead fish on your stringer, and take a piece of you with them.

The couple of times I have ran into them, we felt very much in control. Hyper aware of everything, but in control. I am not sure what that would be like if the sharks were bull or hammer, not lemon. :)

I go with the statistics. 78 shark attacks world wide last year. 23 in Florida. (the highest state in the US) 1 Fatality. With all the people and spearos in the water, I am hoping I am safe. Safer than the crazies in the deep blue off of S. Africa with the Tigers, at least :)
Kizer

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

I like the sound of that :toast:
Kizer

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

rob762 wrote:
Kizer wrote:It sounds like you have not had many encounters, and I am wondering if I should expect Sharks on a regular basis, or not?
Kizer - there is quite a bit of published literature on reading shark behavior. To summarize, if they're swimming in an exaggerated "S" pattern and shaking their head back and forth at you, you're in the wrong place...
The one we ran into did exactly that. I thought that it was not super aggressive due to that. I figured it would come at you faster if it was going for a bite. I really appreciate that information.
Kizer

941sharker
Weekend Warrior

Post by 941sharker »

being a shark fisherman i have had the chance to watch sharks come to the bait and hit the bait when the sharks are readdy to eat it instead of smell they come in get the smell and go straight for the kill. when they go side to side they are just getting a good smell and are interestted but just smeling at the time. as far as having a shark come up to me while i was diving well it hasnt happened yet thank god. knock on wood. hope this helps
2009 Team Hammer N The Phenoms
Go BIG or go home!!

FriskyMullet
KING MACKEREL

Post by FriskyMullet »

I was snorkleing out by the south beach rocks near the end just swiming. We originally were in a group of three but two of my buddies stop a little earlier and I continued to the end. When I got the urge to look back and there it was like a 10-12 ft hammer head not more than 15 feet away. My heart sank and I froze. The thing just cruised by me and paid me no attention in thier typical s swining pattern. Needless to say once I saw him swim past I got out of the water and it was a long hop across all those rock to where my buddies were.

FriskyMullet
KING MACKEREL

Post by FriskyMullet »

First ecounter with a real big shark. Ya I know they are not supposed to be man eaters but still it was an impressive sight. I also have seen loads of nurse sharks but I think they barely count as a shark.

xtheline
Old Salt

Post by xtheline »

Something else you may want to consider when near bait or other food sources in the water. Aggressive or feeding sharks don't see you as a food source as much as they may mistake you as competition for the same food source. Move away from the dinner table. 'GOTTA EAT!' :mrgreen:
xtheline

baitwetter
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by baitwetter »

Im with Chris on this one. I love the ocean, just dont feel the need to swim in it.
Sad to be sitting out this years Shorebound Shark Tourney due to work issues. Good luck to all that participate!!!

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

It seems that I run into sharks half the time I am out spearing. I have to assume the rest of the time that they know I am there and do not get close enough for me to see. I had to poke a reef shark twice in Key West to get him to stop bothering me.

The only one I am not looking forward to seeing is a Bull, but as long as I am in the water with a buddy it will be two vs 1. ;)

:auto: :fish:
Kizer

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”