Equipment Run Down

Ask your spearfishing questions here Gear, Location ideas, etc.
ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Equipment Run Down

Post by ccoope29 »

Okay fellas im racking up on my equipment now. I wanted you fellas to give me a basic run down of the equipment that i need to start with and maybe some prices if you guys know off the top of your head.

What I have so far
mask, snorkel, and fins

What I know i need

Nice size dive knife kill some sharks, wet suite, weight belt, and of course a gun. Debating to start off with a speargun or a spear pole with the band on it. Can the spearpole do numbers too or is that much harder to use if your a begginer.

If you fellas can let me know some prices if you know or the best place to go to by.

Thanks

wazzzup
Fisher

Re: Equipment Run Down

Post by wazzzup »

I have a wetsuit for sale if your interested . oneill large brand new $65

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Post by ccoope29 »

Oh kool. Why are you selling it for?

wazzzup
Fisher

Post by wazzzup »

I bought it and never use it and now im having a baby a need th closet space.

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Post by ccoope29 »

Well im bout 5'5 with athletic build. Does it have the pad in the chest so that i can use it when recoiling speargun? for when i do by my speargun

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

Chris I wear a Medium to a Medium Large. The suit I had on last weekend was a medium. You are shorter than me, but much more built out. I hope that give you an idea. I would suggest going into a dive shop and trying on a couple of suits. That is the only way to be sure. If a large fits, then pick this one up. It looks like it is in good shape and that is a great deal.
Kizer

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Post by ccoope29 »

Okay cool Kizer. Yea I am going to check out the stores this week. Ill see what size I am exactly and then I will check it out and let you know.That is just a regular large right? also what is the name so maybe I can try on the same exact one.

Thanks I appreciate it.

wazzzup
Fisher

Post by wazzzup »

where do you live? if you would like to try it on i have no problem with that.

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Post by ccoope29 »

I live in hollywood. Im going to the dive shop this week so i will find out this week and let you know. But your suit does not have the cushion in the middle of the chest for the gun reload does it?

fishinDave07
Old Salt

Post by fishinDave07 »

1. Knife: One word...TITANIUM!!! I have a Wenoka Black Jack 420 SS and it SUCKS. The SECOND i get out of the water i give it a fresh water rinse then later at home i give a more thorough wash and put some 3 in 1 oil on it and the thing is a rust-bucket.

My friend has http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Category ... html?Hit=1 knife and the dude never washes it and it looks brand-fricken-new, my blade is bigger though :mrgreen: . get a knife that has a good locking mechanism and preferably with a line cutter.

2.You might need a wetsuit come winter but for now i'd recommend a rash guard/dive skin. I use an this evo dive skin and cant complain http://www.diversdirect.com/items/EVO-M ... in_ID32801 , protects you from the sun, jellyfish, and beautiful women. What more can you want?!

EDIT: regarding the wetsuit above, you could buy a loading pad and attach it to the suit.

3. I made the mistake of buying a scuba dive belt, but it works. Every freediver i know uses the large leather wetbelt http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/shopsite ... belts.html

4. As far as guns go, do yourself a favor and buy a good gun now so you dont end up buying one later. and by good i dont mean $1,000. A handful of my friends along with myself use A.B. Biller mahogany guns and they are nice. I have a '42 but wish i had a '48, maybe even a '52.

The thing with polespears (i own one) is that they are starting to get in the price range of some spearguns. I'd save your money and get a good gun. Plus, with a polespear, it is recommended to use a slip-tip for large snapper/grouper/kings, etc because you don't want your shaft getting bent like crazy.

I use LeisurePro.com a lot but recently DiversDirect.com said that if you see a price lower than theirs, they will match it and give you 10% off. Pretty good deal IMO

Hope this helps

Dave
I'm Woohoo for Wahoo!

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Post by ccoope29 »

wow thanks dave for all that work of info you put together for me.

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

1. Knife: One word...TITANIUM!!! I have a Wenoka Black Jack 420 SS and it SUCKS. The SECOND i get out of the water i give it a fresh water rinse then later at home i give a more thorough wash and put some 3 in 1 oil on it and the thing is a rust-bucket.
Bummer, I lost my knife on the reef a couple weeks back and replaced it with a Wenoka Titanium... I think it's great right now, but then again it is not rusting.....yet
Kizer

wazzzup
Fisher

Post by wazzzup »

ccoope29 wrote:I live in hollywood. Im going to the dive shop this week so i will find out this week and let you know. But your suit does not have the cushion in the middle of the chest for the gun reload does it?
nope :dude:

ccoope29
Weekend Warrior

Post by ccoope29 »

kizer someone from spearboard told me that was a good knife. How much did you pay

Kizer
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Kizer »

I bought my cushion at Florida Free Divers. Some of the US manufactured spearguns are meant to be loaded on the hip, not the chest though. I think I bought the knife for $45 at Force-E. I have seen the knife at Divers Direct as well. It is much better than my first knife. Had no problem dispatching a trigger to the head.
Kizer

Return to “General Spearfishing Talk”