FlyFishing Beach in SFL - Jack, BlueFish & Snook 06.26.2011

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
Aventura
Fisher

FlyFishing Beach in SFL - Jack, BlueFish & Snook 06.26.2011

Post by Aventura »

I had a blast this past Saturday morning and I am once again totally addicted to fishing. Aside from finally landing a snook on a fly, I caught a nice jack and a bluefish. So far I have landed 2 small snook and have had a half dozen on. I caught a small snook this morning and did not set the hook on two that were a litttle larger 5-7lbs. The day was getting off to a good start... until my 9wt split in two.

Since this is the East coast of FL and not calm and clear Sanibel beach on the West coast of FL, I am experimenting with different tactics. The more obvious places to fish for snook (which are ambush predators) is near jetties, rocky bottoms, strong current, or deep channels in the sand. I have caught almost all of the fish seen in the video by blind casting in these areas. Pelicans and gulls, even if they are sitting, seem to indicate that there is fish in the area. I caught the jacks and bluefish in a deep channel where I saw strong current, birds and bait. Bait is of course something to look for, but I have followed a school of bait around for hours and not seen or caught a predator... so it's no guarantee.

My brother put this little video together for me. Its hard to hear what I am saying, but you get the idea. I guess it's something that just happens when you try to film and fight the fish! I lost what would have been my first snook on fly trying to be angler/videographer. The snook in the picture is actually snook #2 from that morning. The new protocol going forward is: #1 land fish #2 mess with the camera

FriskyMullet
KING MACKEREL

Re: FlyFishing Beach in SFL - Jack, BlueFish & Snook 06.26.2

Post by FriskyMullet »

Nice fish. :cheers:

madbomber
Fisher

Post by madbomber »

Great stuff!!....I cant wait to get down there again this fall

Therapy
Fisher

Post by Therapy »

nice work but u got to give more details... fly fisherman enjoy hearing your description of your terminal tackle (rod weight, reel, fly line, leader design, and fly used). video image looks excellent. i just moved out of miami lakes and live iiin pompano and finally getting settled in. cant wait to discover new surf & turf up this way.... :toast:

-jimbo

weetza10
Weekend Warrior

Post by weetza10 »

Awesome! I have just started fly fishing the beach these past couple of weeks out of Dania. One question, how far to you have to be able to cast to successfully fish the beach? Any tips would be great and please keep more videos coming. :dude:

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

Nice!! I know that feeling, I actually caught my first saltwater fish on my fly rod couple weeks ago, it was a nice ladyfish just over a foot, ended up hooking about 10 of them in just about 10 minutes!! Ended up catching 3 ladyfish on the fly rod that day.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Return to “FlyFishing Help”