Newbie flyfisher in Brickell. What are my options?

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
cgranier
Fisher

Newbie flyfisher in Brickell. What are my options?

Post by cgranier »

[sorry for crosspost - posted this to Who are you board first... but now thinking it fits better in here]

Greetings fishlings. I'm new to the forums and loving all the fresh info I've found here (it seems all the other local fishing forums are stale).

I'm just getting into flyfishing and particularly interested in saltwater flyfishing. So far I've mostly used my time to practice my casts from the condo's dock... which, apart from honing my wind casting skills, has netted me a grand total of one tiny "Blue runner / hard tail" and getting mocked by every mullet in the bay

Not complaining, though... just being out on the dock casting is awesome enough.

Question is... what are my boat-less options around Brickell? I've heard the bridge to Brickell Key offers some good opportunities (is fishing allowed there?). What about Key Biscayne? What are some good options there?

Any freshwater options around here as well? Most of the canals seem to be hard to get at on foot (private homes, freeways, etc) but I know there must be some legal access somewhere.

Would appreciate any help... I promise to post back with results, photos and exaggerated fish weights.

Thanks,
Carlos.

kombiguy
Fisher

Re: Newbie flyfisher in Brickell. What are my options?

Post by kombiguy »

Hi Carlos! I'm down in Coconut Grave, also looking for some shore/flat fishing in the area. Let me know if you want company. I just learned a liitle about fly casting and am really new.
Chris

ikaika
Weekend Warrior

Post by ikaika »

I'm on Brickell as well. No fishing allowed where I'm renting :( and I see mullet going ballistic every day. :nilly:

I've been fishing the beaches and flats over in Virginia Key and Key Biscayne.

Crandon Park: fishing is verboten. I found out the hard way. :scold:

Virginia Key Beach: No Fishing Alllowed. :(

Bill Baggs has a designated fishing are, but might not be condusive for fly fishing. :scratch:

As most will tell you about fishing the "little beaches" on Virginia Key: Get there early and leave early.

Because of the limited shorebound access around here, I am tempted to get a SUP and work the areas.

You should consider taking your fly skills to some of the canals along Tamiami as well.

Good Luck

jedd
Fisher

Post by jedd »

Yes bass fishing in the canals is great. I use a fly that looks like a swimming jig.

Miamipescador
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miamipescador »

You guys live at the four ambassadors?

cgranier
Fisher

Post by cgranier »

Sorry about the lack of responses... I wasn't getting any notifications from the forum. Luckily, I just stumbled here again as I was searching for info on wading boots.

First off, thanks everyone for your replies and ideas. If anyone wants to go casting, shoot me a message. I'm still learning, so I guess you can learn from my mistakes and I'll learn from your experience ;-)

Here's what I've tried...

I've caught a number of mangrove snappers and small jacks from my condo dock. Lady fish are fun too. The big tarpon that comes at night has so far eluded me - as have any snook. I tried the fishing docks at Bill Baggs, past the lighthouse... caught nothing, but improved my casting skills as you don't have a whole lot of space for back-casting.

Tried the bridge at Bear Cut... it seems everything was about a yard further than my longest cast. But I had fun and even caught a crab on fly.

Tried Matheson Hammock last week... at lowtide as it was changing to high. Waded far south... up to my knees in muck. Caught a lot of weeds. Saw a couple of flyfishers who went further south to the canal entry. I'll need to get proper wading gear to venture that far - my bootless Keens can only handle so much.

Has anybody tried going behind the mountain bike trail in Virginia Key? Would that be legal/possible/worthwhile? What about going under the bridge at Bear Cut, past the fence and around that beach?

Oh, I also tried one of the canals at 97th (saw it on one of Bonefish Whisperer's video and tracked down the location using Google Street Maps), but there wasn't much. Maybe I should try again, now that my casting has improved.

That's it for today...

Return to “FlyFishing Help”