Peacocks in early January???

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
dmichaelj2003
Fisher

Peacocks in early January???

Post by dmichaelj2003 »

I'm a N.C. fly fisherman coming down to Ft. Lauderdale in early January looking for some peacock bass action! I didn't want to use a guide I'm a DIYer. Is finding peacocks this time of year realistic and where would I do so. I've been looking up info about the canal systems, but not being familiar with the area at all I'd rather take local advice. Oh yeah, how concerned should I be about aligators?

weetza10
Weekend Warrior

Re: Peacocks in early January???

Post by weetza10 »

Any canal especially west of 441, better yet University you should be fine. Wouldn't worry about gators. I would hit every culvert, bridge piling, grass mat, ect. They are there-depending on the temp. patterns for the those days. If its cold like below 70-you probably won't have much luck. BTW there is also Snook and Tarpon in those same canals. :dude:

dmichaelj2003
Fisher

Post by dmichaelj2003 »

Thanks alot weetza10! Very helpful information. :toast: What go to baits do suggest for the tarpon and snook?

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Its do-able unless we have cold fronts moving through its a crap shoot on if/when they come that time of year. The fish don't leave, no place to go, but the do hang out of sight deep and the bite shuts down.

Read this http://myfwc.com/media/1330862/PeacockBassBrochure.pdf good info, most people don't take the time to search these forums and miss a lot of valuable information.

Like said, use Google Earth, investigate every canal you see, structure is good, just watch where you park, if there are "No Parking Tow Zone" don't be surprised if you get towed, especially at condos.

If you decide to use a guide check this guy Cordel, he goes by The BoneFishWhisperer, but also does really well on foot or kayak/canoe trips for Peacock Bass and selection of other fresh water dwellers and is exclusively Fly Fisherman, very reasonable rates. Tell him Krash sent ya, check his website photo gallery.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

CubanExpress
Boatlessfishing.com FORUM SPONSOR

Post by CubanExpress »

I checked out Cordel's website.

He's got a nice variety of fish in his picture gallery including large midas and jaguar cichlids, all caught on flies.

dmichaelj2003
Fisher

Post by dmichaelj2003 »

Thanks Krash! I have actually been communicating with Cordel to try to figure out a game plan.

Greensn95
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Greensn95 »

Yes you can get pea's in January. Culvert pipes and warm weather is the first thing I would be looking for. When it comes to your lure assortment if you fishing artificial, most of my pea's comes come from orange, yellow, white colored lures. Also try throwing a white crappie jig. Google earth is a good idea to try to learn some waterways, if you are fishing broward county keep it west bound. Good luck.
HOLY MACKEREL!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

dmichaelj2003 wrote:Thanks Krash! I have actually been communicating with Cordel to try to figure out a game plan.
Hire him, let him do the legwork of finding the fish, driving you around to catch them from land or via the canoe/kayaks. He can put you on several different species in the same day.
His rates are very reasonable and he goes every day so he knows when and where the fish are and what they will eat today. He has a "don't take locals" policy though so his spots are not depleted.

Like I've said many times before 90% of the Peacock Bass I catch are on either a Husk-Jerk or X-rap in Black/Gold color. I have a strick don't mess with nesting pairs policy.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Hurricaneredbone
Fisher

Post by Hurricaneredbone »

Ive doing pretty good with peacocks in the last couple weeks. Even today while it was 55 degrees out... Brrrr. It seems the majority of strikes are territorial, not feeding. Use bright colors that coule resemble other peacocks and cichlids. I casted at a large p about 39 times today, and it seemed uninterested, almost afraid of natural colors. As soon as i tied on a bright orange and chartreuse clouser with red bars, it was on. He struck at it 3 times in a row, finally got the hook set on the 3rd cast.

The fish are all in the canals, near culverts. All the lakes that i usually catch them in are not producing (plenty of large mouths though).

On another note, does anybody know where that lake is that the midas cichlids came out of? Ive been there before (i recognize the bridge in the background) but i cannot remember where it is : (

Return to “FlyFishing Help”