Baby Tarpon fly fishing help needed.

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
captken
Fisher

Baby Tarpon fly fishing help needed.

Post by captken »

I live 300+ miles from Ft. lauderdale and can only make one over nighter per year due to finances. I've fished Alligator Alley, Griffin Rd. Canal and Markam Park along with the Airport canal in Miami. I've caught quite a few fish but can't find baby Tarpon.

I sure would appreciate insider info. If you want to catch a big Tarpon, come up to Crystal River and I can put you on one over 150 most days in the summer.

If you don't want to let the cat out of the bag re: private spots, shoot me an e-mail.

BTW, I'm 70 so I don't expect to beat up on your spots too much.

Thanks, Ken
Life is too short to catch little fish.

http://www.panhandlefishingbooks.com/

swordfish
SHARKER

Re: Baby Tarpon fly fishing help needed.

Post by swordfish »

Hey Ken... I hear u on the finances... I can put u on some fish a little further south... Contact me through PM for more info, it is near Homestead, I have been chasing them as well, it will require a bit of "bush beating" but nothing too extreme.

-swordfish

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

If you are ever around Titusville or cocoa beach lemme know and I can probably hook you up.

captken
Fisher

Post by captken »

I fished over in Titusville a couple of times when I was working for Berkley. I didn't catch much because I was fishing from my yak on 2 really windy days. I did catch the biggest Trout I've caught in the past 15 years one of those days. I'd guess about 7# or so.

I'll Keep you in mind. What time of year?
Life is too short to catch little fish.

http://www.panhandlefishingbooks.com/

fishboy
Old Salt

Post by fishboy »

Summer time is better, I kayak fish too...

mcond
Fisher

Post by mcond »

Does anyone have any suggestions at to what fly to use for those 8th street tarpon? I've pitched a few clousers and tarpon bunnies among other flies and they don't seem to take anything. Ran into a fellow fly fisherman who said they do take clousers. Has anyone been consistently successful there or is it pointless?
Miami/Key Biscayne/Homestead/Keys
Devoted spearfisher, Obsessive Fly Fisher and Avid spinfisher
Mitch

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

I don't fly fish but my buddy only fly fishes.. he's recently been using a small white floating fly and it works for sure, he ties flies you can purchase at the fly shop in yer-ami.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

mcond
Fisher

Post by mcond »

Well that's a start :D !!Do you happen to know what the materials are? Or the name of the fly?
Miami/Key Biscayne/Homestead/Keys
Devoted spearfisher, Obsessive Fly Fisher and Avid spinfisher
Mitch

SVH
Fisher

Post by SVH »

I'd like to track down a few good spots for these little guys too. The small ones look like (from what I've seen on youtube) a heck of a lot of fun on 4-6wts.

paulrxp
Fisher

Post by paulrxp »

This threads a little old, but I guess I'll reply in case people search. Finding them these days often involves access. Many of the golf courses near the bay have them. I've hooked larger ones near the airport lakes but not on fly, but with live bream. At times you'll run into them on the Tamiami trail and US27, but these tarpon you can't just target. If you really want to hook on to them and target them, head south to the Keys. Flamingo is great too, but you can't go boatless, at least have a canoe or yak.
I use to always go down to the Keys during Memorial day and at night around the bridges it can be totally insane. The tarpon hit and it sounds like someones dropping boulders into the water. My best night I hooked 3 , one with a jig, other with a huge zara spook, and 3rd with a Marabou fly. Impossible to land because they all average 60+ lbs
If you do stay around Miami and broward and find them, they can be very finicky, the important thing I found is the size. I stick with smaller flies with the lake and canal tarpon. The small ones are still fun because they're so unpredictable. Best time to go after them is late afternoon right before sundown. A 6 or 7wt is fine, floating or intermediate. I prefer deerhair flies, muddlers or dahlberg. Again, keep it on the small side, 2-3 inches.

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Definitely can catch tarpon boatless in Flamingo.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

if any body is still interested, here are two great spots to catch small/baby tarpon. The first spot is the weir at Port of the islands on Tamiami trail, and the second spot is on the same canal, but North in the Picayune forest(some people call it the blocks or squares). There is a small rough boat ramp in the southermost part of the forest at a T in the canal. Fish right from the ramp. When the tarpon are there , you cannot miss them, they will be rolling all over the place. They are usually feeding on tiny minnows, so you have to "match the hatch". If they are there, it is as close to a guarantee that you can catch one on a fly. Plus, there is plenty of space to throw a fly. BTW, I am not a fly fisherman, but these spots are the best I have seen for catching tarpon on flies.

Return to “FlyFishing Help”