Creepy Crawly Redfish Fly

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
captken
Fisher

Creepy Crawly Redfish Fly

Post by captken »

I've been tying and fishing this fly for years. I've made a few modifications over the years and this is the result.

I use an Eagle Claw O'shaughnessy hook. These are cheap hooks, very sharp, short shank, fairly large eye. No offset and wide bend. I would not hesitate to flip one to a Tarpon. I sometimes use an Eagle Claw 413 jig hook and Clouser or Bead chain eyes. I really like the EC 413 hook but I have to order them because nobody stocks them.

Here is the hook (bottom) and the same hook I modified by bending the eye down slightly to help keep the fly point up on retrieve.

Tie in the snazzle and weed guard. 50# mono in this case. I'll trim it to roper length later.

Here are the rest of the materials. Brown Ice Chenille for the body, unwaxed monocord, silicone bass skirt pads.

Tie in skirt pad as shown. I let a little less than half extend forward of the hook eye.

Tie in Ice Chenille at the bend of the hook then advance tying thread to the eye of the hook.

Wrap Ice Chenille to the eye of the hook and secure with tying thread. Add head cement (I use Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails)

Finished fly.

Two finished flies.

Very quick tie, easy, very effective. Can be weighted but I seldom weight them.
Short strips make this fly come alive. I don't have a fly in my box that can match the
action of this one. It works on Bass, Trout, Snook and Redfish.
Life is too short to catch little fish.

http://www.panhandlefishingbooks.com/

fishboy
Old Salt

Re: Creepy Crawly Redfish Fly

Post by fishboy »

Thanks for the tip. I have been meaning to get into fly tring. It's just a matter of time...

chris21
KING MACKEREL

Post by chris21 »

very unique looking fly, I also tie my own flies, mostly for peacock bass, snakeheads and other exotic fishes.
There's no such thing as too much bait!!

Albacized
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Albacized »

Thanks a lot for this. I know you said you seldom add weight - but when you do, is it via lead wire on the shank or with dumbell eyes?

Edit***Oops, just reread and saw the 'clouser eyes' and 'beadhead' comment..thanks

Return to “FlyFishing Help”