North Hutchinson Is. In July

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
Phil k
Fisher

North Hutchinson Is. In July

Post by Phil k »

I'll be visiting N. Hutchinson Is. from July 6-12. I fish a lot in massachusetts but don't know much about Fla. I'll be able to get out in the early mornings. I'll be staying near the beach and the Indian River is nearby. Will I be able to find fish in the surf or should I try the river?
Thanks for any info.

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Re: North Hutchinson Is. In July

Post by fishnfool73 »

That time of the year the summer baits should be thick in the surf. I'd try white streamers with Mylar. Work the beach til it looks fishy. You could catch jacks runners or snooks. In the river try poppers for the same and maybe some trout or redfish. If you fish the river bring some water shoes or old sneakers and wade out some.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

Phil k
Fisher

Post by Phil k »

fishnfool73 wrote:That time of the year the summer baits should be thick in the surf. I'd try white streamers with Mylar. Work the beach til it looks fishy. You could catch jacks runners or snooks. In the river try poppers for the same and maybe some trout or redfish. If you fish the river bring some water shoes or old sneakers and wade out some.
Ok, thanks. I'll tie up a bunch. Is 1/0 ok for hook size or should I go smaller?

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

I'm not a fly guy really but 1/0 should be plenty. I'd say use what you would for school or stripers or blues up in Mass.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

Go a little south to Bathtub Beach, at the south end of the island. Last summer, there were huge schools of glass minnows that hung out there most of the summer, with tarpon, huge jacks, snook and bonita eating them every morning and evening, coming right up onto the beach. Small jigs or plugs are the ticket.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

Hey bud! Yeah 1/0 is perfectly acceptable imo for everything up to 30 lbs tarpon. If you see bigger fish in the mix though, step it up a little bit more. I would tie anything that like FFS said resembles a glass minnow with plenty of flash, however keep it tiny. Lookup a glass minnow and do your best to imitate it. I have not fished that area, however it is a fail proof pattern that works on everything in the beach in the summer. There are no bass here, but the snook make up for them, plus many other tropical species which I am certain you will come across. I truly find it that fish are a lot more willing to take a fly than anything else when properly presented and I consistently outfish live bait on the fly. Make sure to post how you do, and if you can take pics then even better!

-swordfish

Phil k
Fisher

Post by Phil k »

That's great, I can't wait to get down there. Thanks for all the good advice.

Return to “FlyFishing Help”