Places to Wade for bonefish?

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
mcond
Fisher

Places to Wade for bonefish?

Post by mcond »

Hey guys,

I've have been passively fishing for the past few years (spinning gear) and now almost strictly hunting for bonefish (flyfishing) for the past four months nearly four days a week on any and every tide, at any time of day. So far, I have seen ONE bonefish... I'm getting desperate :shock: . I tie my own flies and although I'm not a fly tying guru I am a bit of a perfectionist and won't fish it if it isn't decent. I've caught a few peacocks, LM bass, SM bass, jacks and cudas which makes me believe my flies are OK at least. I think my problem is that I am not fishing areas that are productive. I see plenty of bait but little to no predatory fish.
Point being, can anyone point me to better locations/areas? I live in South Miami and have no problem traveling down south into the keys (generally don't like heading north no real reason to tell you the truth other than being able to tell my gf that I want to take her to the keys lol)
Anyways thanks for any help and tight lines!! First post btw so take it easy on me :D lol

Btw I strictly practice catch and release and know discretion so your spot won't become everyones spot.
Miami/Key Biscayne/Homestead/Keys
Devoted spearfisher, Obsessive Fly Fisher and Avid spinfisher
Mitch

freeflyfree
Fisher

Re: Places to Wade for bonefish?

Post by freeflyfree »

You're going to need a PVC tube with caps on, a drill and a 6ft "A" type ladder.... cut it, drill holes, and stuff it with cut shrimp. Go to a flat toss the tube on a sand opening, position yourself up current as far as you can cast

place the ladder and climb it and sit on top and wait for the bonefish to show up

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Re: Places to Wade for bonefish?

Post by krash »

Matheson can be waded and sometimes has Bones. Another place I've seen waders is at Chapman, there is a canoe/kayak launch there, park in that lot, then hike out to the bay.

Bonefishing has been better this year than the last 2, but recently its really been hit or miss and frustrating tough luck trying. They seem to show up, eat and disappear in a very short unpredicatble time/tide frame usually less than an hour.

MPO is the sketchy fishing in the S. end of the bay this year is directly a result of the fresh water dumping runoff into the bay. The drainage canals have been running almost wide open for 2+ months now and off and on for the past 6 months. There are many days I have to get half a mile from the mangrove shoreline to find salty water. The grasses have weird stuff growing and the researchers I run into out there say its from the runoff causing the it, one of them said the grass has been through several complete growth cycles this year.
There was an article a couple weeks ago about an algae bloom in the bay, also likely caused by the fresh water influx.

Good luck on your quest, I put a lot of time into Bonefish hunting in S. Biscayne bay and many people try and give up. I keep saying its going to go off today and keep at it. This year has certainly been better than the last 2, the freeze really did a number on that bay.
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Return to “FlyFishing Help”