...lady fish in Feb on Miramar Beach ....

This area is to help those to Flyfish and get the answers to there questions.
Old Man
Fisher

...lady fish in Feb on Miramar Beach ....

Post by Old Man »

...think they would have any interest in these ?

..size 4 hook...

Old Man aka Bob

joenofishhere
Seasoned Fisher

Re: ...lady fish in Feb on Miramar Beach ....

Post by joenofishhere »

Ladyfish will eat about anything if it's moving fast and erratic enough. I would throw white/chart clousers and deceivers though, maybe a bendback if there are weeds.
Walk slow, and carry a big Snook.

kahmad
Fisher

Post by kahmad »

Im confused as to what those are supposed to imitate. Ladyfish eat shrimp and other small fish, so that's what I would try to imitate.

Old Man
Fisher

Post by Old Man »

...just a followup of my wandering around aimlessly for a week in the Miramar Beach and the surrounding areas..

...when I first saw the troughs I thought I was in heaven....we have troughs here on the beaches in RI but they don't go on for miles like I was confronted with in the Destin area....

...cept...no schools of bait fish, no nervous water, no birds working... ouch...

....I had a week to play around and I took full advantage of that ...sunrise, sunset, incoming tide ...

...I stopped at a tackle shop to get a map of the access points along the north side of the bay...(which don't exist...just watch for the blue signs is what I was told)...

...but the staff there mentioned that the commercial bay guides were saying that the 'ice' storm from the previous week that shut down the bridges also emptied the bay of everything... and they(comms) were chasing their tails also...

...spent a couple of hours working 5 or 6 access points over the course of three days and the only thing the wife and I saw were deer...

....I don't do jetties anymore (just an age thing) so I knew better than to even go that route...

...the folks working the piers were only finding sheepshead and even those were far and few between...

...I did get lucky with the lack of wind while using the fly rod... a slight breeze from over my left shoulder allowed me to continue casting with my dominant right hand...I'm such a clutz when it comes to left handed fly casting...as anybody who works a fly rod knows... it's only a matter of time and a few self hooks that you WILL learn to cast with the non dominant arm....lol

.... no lady fish...no little blues... nadda...

...but it was great to see the quality and quantity of the beaches ...cept for the walkers !!!!

...I can not imagine what it is like during the nicer times of the year...talk about built up ...sheesh... we heard 30k residents now and 250k starting in bout April...(thanks ...I'll pass)....

...being able to use a fly rod in Feb was a treat...the end of the third day my back and shoulders reminded me of just how long it's been .... lol

kahmad....those patterns are not exactly supposed to imitate much of anything...but I've found that if the fish are in the trough ...they are there feeding so anything that's thrown would get hit...(cept not this past week...LOL)

Old Man

Return to “FlyFishing Help”