Finding fishing gear (rod/reels) left behind

Ask or Tell us Anything that is not about Fishing, this is the Off Topic Section for the light hearted things.
baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

Finding fishing gear (rod/reels) left behind

Post by baseball4life702 »

In the last 5 days I have been blessed in finding two rod/reel combos to add to my wonderful collection. the first was a cheap Daiwa combo, the reel was shot, bearing rusted to gear but many other parts left for my cheap reel which is the same. The rod was 100% A OK and perfect for my freshwater fishing.
Here's where it gets really good today after some chitty fishing I hit the same area walked a bit further and stumbled upon a Battle II 6000 combo. In freshwater of all places. This one hadn't been sitting as long as the wire leader and hook still attached were not even rusted. Only had two minor scratches and when I opened it up it was pristine and well greased.
I dunno how dumb people are these days but that is around $160 in almost new gear that I have got for free. I'm sure it has to do with all the beer bottles littered on the shore.
Now I know some will ask was anybody around or could have just left it, No only one other person that arrived after me and was at least 400 or more yards away. Anbody else have any experiences or special spots like these ? I plan to check this spot after the weekends till summer ends I know this won't be the last I find.

gruntking
LUMBER-JACK

Re: Finding fishing gear (rod/reels) left behind

Post by gruntking »

Yeah I hear about the cubans from dania going to other piers finding rods laying around all the time

Like I was once on commercial pier when some black thought he would try to find my Avet 50 just laying on the rail
fishman joe fb fishmanjoe instagram
YOU CAN CALL ME CAPTAIN

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

:uplol: this is out in the Everglades so it's not like on the piers or heavy use areas that is a whole other ball game, I know what your saying though. When there's only 1-2 people out here including me and the rod has been laying in the brush for a few days or more it's kind of hard to determine who the owner is besides me lol. Can't just let the poor neglected gear just rot in the elements. :nilly:

baseball4life702
KING MACKEREL

For example at dania or anglins I could turn it into the pier attendant, but out where I was only thing I could turn it in to would be alligators and I don't think they really want it lol
Most of us would haul ass right back if we even slipped and left gear somewhere not the case here these sit for 36hrs +

JonathanT305
Weekend Warrior

Post by JonathanT305 »

I've found a couple cheap bass combos laying around over the years (zebco, mitchell etc.). I leave them alone though. Now lures on the other hand that's fair game.

Return to “Off Topic Lounge "light hearted"”