The use of high-tech gadgets diminishes our fishing skills?

Ask or Tell us Anything that is not about Fishing, this is the Off Topic Section for the light hearted things.
CARiD
Fisher

The use of high-tech gadgets diminishes our fishing skills?

Post by CARiD »

I am new to this forum, so I decided to start my first thread with small discussion>

Today everyone has got more technologies in one smartphone than an entire scientific laboratory back in the 80's.
Modern gadgets are designed to make our life easier and of course to make $ for high tech product manufacturers.
So there is a tone of gadgets designed for boat / raft fishing like: GPS maps, scanners, sensors, trackers, fishfinders etc.

Do you think the use of high-tech gadgets diminishes our fishing skills?

gdm phil
SHARKER

Re: The use of high-tech gadgets diminishes our fishing skil

Post by gdm phil »

I find my fish finder is just another tool in my tackle box to more efficiently catch fish, just like polarized sunglass, thats newer technology but it is just another tool in the tackle box
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515
Affordable offshore trips fir the boat less fishermen

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Doesn't me a thing if you can't use it. Like high end gear, doesnt make you a better fisherman because you bought 1000k in gear. They have their use but marking fish doesn't mean they will bite either.

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

I think it does. Today, many rely too much on electronics. Use your own eyes and judgment.

And polarized sunglasses aren't new technology. They've been around since the 1930's thanks to the Polaroid company.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

While we are at it let's use the nautical sea charts hell with them gps....

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

I know, right. If Magellan can sail around the world without a GPS so can you. (tommy

An idiot today would have to use a smartphone to get directions to find a corner store.

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Magellan would have used it if it was made during his time. They were god like man back then...now, they honor him (or dishonor ) by slapping his name on the Magellan navigation system . (tommy

Never heard anyone using a GPS to look for a corner store but you will be an idiot not to use one traveling the world on boat. Im sure many still do...

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

Nautical charts are the primary navigation tool, gps is secondary.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

Hard to deny the effect spectra has had on fishing in general, but big fish especially. Far more trophy fish are taken because of increased line capacity provided by the much thinner spectra and the increased weight capacity of the spectra braids. Solid or hollow core, line capacity is much greater, giving the angler a much better advantage. As well as the ability to catch larger fish on smaller line. Reel tech today is a huge improvement on the old gear and drag systems as well. Anyone who's ever smoked or overheated a drag on a big fish knows exactly what I mean. English Adam and I both have chirp sonar systems. Amazing detail so you can actually see the fish that you can't seem to catch. You can improve your odds but at the end of the day, whos bait gets nailed is as much luck as anything else.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

Technology has made fishing easier, just like the cell phone made communication easier..
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

I guess I'm old fashioned. Fishing should be a challenge. Trying to make it easier is pathetic.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

I have the chirp feature as well, it shows everything I need to see. I can see the fish sitting in front of the wreck waiting for bait as well as my jig dropping
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

Miami_Chris
KING MACKEREL

Post by Miami_Chris »

Marine electronics make boating offshore safer. Things like PLB's, EPIRPS, VHF radios with built in GPS, radar etc allow smaller boats to run further out with some confidence. But even with all the electronics out there, everyone fishing offshore needs to know how to read a compass.

I also do agree that all these sophisticated sounders have made fishing much easier for the weekend warrior, but I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I do wish some of these transducers were a bit cheaper though :lol:

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/DGPSchart.html

Some good reading Hand in hand

Most vessels that sail in U.S. waters today use some of GPS positioning o determine their position on the water. Many vessels use electronic charting systems that integrate highly accurate Differential GPS (DGPS) positioning with electronic charting data. These systems have clearly provided the mariner with an important new tool that has promoted safe navigation. However, the mariner must understand the capabilities and limitations of using DGPS in electronic charting systems.

With the advent of the Navstar Global Positioning System (GPS) and, in United States waters, the U.S. Coast Guard's Differential Global Positioning System (DGPS), mariners are now capable of navigating ships with much greater accuracy than previously possible, especially now since May 2000, the GPS signal is no longer being degraded. As a result, it is very important that mariners understand the inherent limitations of nautical charts when plotting vessel positions using GPS or DGPS.
Before GPS, mariners realized that their geographical positions could be over a nautical mile in error when ship's positions were derived using various electronic instruments such as LORAN and celestial observations. With this error of uncertainty, mariners gave a wide berth to hazards depicted on charts, including shoals and obstructions. There was general acceptance that the available navigational information and cartographic processes used by the chartmaker to position the hazards were more accurate than the navigational means available to the user of the chart.

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

I also keep the navionics app on my phone incase my gps goes down. my old unit crapped out at the ramp one day, so we relied on the app
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

I fish from land so electronics mean absolute Oscar mayer to me. This question would be 80% less silly if it was asked on a boatfishing website opposed to boatlessfishing but hey what do i know lets all fire up our center consoles and screw the site as long as someones posting reports its gravy train..... (tommy

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Scotty dont show this to Kblue...I know he will buy it

Sandbar...what ya think?
https://jet.com/product/detail/70e8d4b3 ... AikK8P8HAQ

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Shiiiit he might have built the mofo

Rare
SHARKER

Post by Rare »

Didnt think about that....lol :toast:

SaltyDog
KING MACKEREL

Post by SaltyDog »

Btw i lost your number on my old phone if you wanna textnme your number i just have to fish for something soon. Raul is sleeping :pistols:

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:Scotty dont show this to Kblue...I know he will buy it
Scotty, please tell Rare too late. Kblue already showed it but somehow, he is not too crazy about it...
He thinks this is for fresh clam water...

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

Rare wrote:http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/DGPSchart.html

Some good reading Hand in hand

Most vessels that sail in U.S. waters today use some of GPS positioning o determine their position on the water. Many vessels use electronic charting systems that integrate highly accurate Differential GPS (DGPS) positioning with electronic charting data. These systems have clearly provided the mariner with an important new tool that has promoted safe navigation. However, the mariner must understand the capabilities and limitations of using DGPS in electronic charting systems.

With the advent of the Navstar Global Positioning System (GPS) and, in United States waters, the U.S. Coast Guard's Differential Global Positioning System (DGPS), mariners are now capable of navigating ships with much greater accuracy than previously possible, especially now since May 2000, the GPS signal is no longer being degraded. As a result, it is very important that mariners understand the inherent limitations of nautical charts when plotting vessel positions using GPS or DGPS.
Before GPS, mariners realized that their geographical positions could be over a nautical mile in error when ship's positions were derived using various electronic instruments such as LORAN and celestial observations. With this error of uncertainty, mariners gave a wide berth to hazards depicted on charts, including shoals and obstructions. There was general acceptance that the available navigational information and cartographic processes used by the chartmaker to position the hazards were more accurate than the navigational means available to the user of the chart.
Believe or not, GPS technology is rocket science based in Einstein's relativity theory where time travels slowly when relative speed exceeds the speed of light. Atomic clock at GPS satellites either goes faster(or slower) than atomic clock at Earth Surface...lol
These technologies are from US DoD as military project...along with most other technologies that changed our life forever...such as Internet... At early stage, there are many conspiracies in this technology for civilian usage because military was afraid that accuracy was too good and they have to do something on GPS satellite...lol

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

Yup. Nautical charts are still used today. Just like how they were used 800 years ago. The only difference is today we have the ability to plot using GPS. Polo, Columbus, and Magellan did everything manually. The same way everyone else had to until GPS became available for civilian use. Which hasn't been that long. I'd wager that tons of mariners still plot manually on paper nautical charts, but use the GPS to double check themselves.

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

I use the sextant exclusively because the battery lasts forever and it's OK if it gets wet. I also agree with Pat regarding the improvement in the line we use. It's probably the only advancement used by the masses in the last 25 years.
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Kingofthesea wrote:I use the sextant exclusively because the battery lasts forever and it's OK if it gets wet.

Dude LMFAO

I miss that smack talk. Lol battery life ok lol
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

CARiD
Fisher

Post by CARiD »

Right the use of today's innovations can really help you to spend time on fishing more productive.
This device for instance gives the answer for the question of every fisherman - "Where's the fish?"
It connects to your smartphone and shows if there is any fish below your fishing rod.
http://www.carid.com/deeper-fishfinder/ ... eeper.html
How cool is that! Especially in the places where you go fishing for the first time.
I mean, of course some can call it cheating, but I am more than sure that it will be just another common tool like a gps navigator today.

crashmister
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by crashmister »

gdm phil wrote:I have the chirp feature as well, it shows everything I need to see. I can see the fish sitting in front of the wreck waiting for bait as well as my jig dropping
Pretty cool to be able to actually see your bait. In 800 feet no less.
Nice Boat! Now get it outa my driveway!

gdm phil
SHARKER

Post by gdm phil »

you can see everything which is great, you can really dial in on structure
Philthy sport fishing
Come get philthy!
561-542-2515

krash
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by krash »

There is a reason people don;t still hunt with a club
SW, Live to Fish, Have Tackle will travel ... >,)))~> ~~~~

Sandbar
Seasoned Fisher

Post by Sandbar »

In ancient times clubs were never really used for hunting.

Bow and arrows were.

And till this day, bow and arrows are still used, and probably have a bigger following than firearms.

And yes the bow and arrow was invented before the club.

Return to “Off Topic Lounge "light hearted"”