CRABS

This area is for those questions about bait how to catch it, keep it alive and so on.
SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

CRABS

Post by SnookMook »

Here's a photo of a female Fiddler Crab.

The males have one big claw which is how they derive there name. We use Fiddlers and Rock Crabs up in the Tampa Bay area for Sheepshead. I don't have a photo of Rock Crab. Mangrove and small Pass Crabs work as well.

Catching and hooking em is whole nuther discussion.

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

Forum God--Thanks for moving this.

I'll add a little more information about fishing with crabs.

On my next outing for Sheepie, I'll get a photo of a Rock Crab as well. Sheepshead almost seem to prefer the Rock Crabs over Fiddlers, but both work very well.

I've also caught Redfish and Black Drum on the crabs as well. Redfish up in the Mangroves love Fiddlers and Mangrove crabs. Sometimes when they get real picky, that is all they will eat. A lot of times I will put a crab with a tiny split shot under a float and let it float right up under the mangrove roots.

With the float it is easy to see where your bait is and the current will sweep it under and between roots, right into the strike zone. Sometimes you get hung up, but with 30lb flouro leader, which I use most of the time, you can usually get your line free and if you get a strike Redfish usually stay down and unlike Snook don't seem to run deeper in the grove to bust you off.

Now when it comes to Black Drum. Pass Crabs are best it seems, but many anglers up my way will halve or quarter, blue crabs for the really big, bruiser Black Drum. The scent oozing out from the broken crab seems to attract em, and they are not picky about hitting a bait that is obviously not alive.

For all species of crabs, catching and hooking em is whole nuther discussion.
Last edited by SnookMook on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

Thanks.

I know I'm personally looking forward to more information about crabs.

Sure, I've fished with blue or calico's, catch 'em at the piers or ICW in simple inexpensive traps, or purchased 'em live at bait shops. Caught plenty of quality fish with 'em too. I've used freshwater crawfish for bass bait, and have vague memories of my GrandPa taking me fishing and using lobster. And he caught a hugh (in my 7-8 year old eyes) snapper or grouper. Of course, I ain't gonna use no lobster for bait, they're regulated and I'd rather eat that (if legal) than any fish I might catch with it. :)

So, as an angler, I know crustaceans make great bait for many species.

I'm particularly interested in the habitat, and capture methods, (with photos if possible) for the numerous other species of crabs we may encounter if we open our eyes or don't mind getting a little wet.

Several months ago, while out looking at spots along the alley, we decided to check out a bridge over middle river, where we saw hundreds of land crabs (?) walking. I'll speculate it was their mating season - ritual.

Should we have grabbed a few for bait? They looked like they had really thick shells, sort of like a stone crab.

What about Hermit crabs?

Are all crabs legal bait, or are some species regulated?

Yep, this could be an educational thread.

Thanks for starting it.

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

Thanks everyone. In case you all don't know, I'm a full time newspaper Photojournalist and a freelance outdoors writer/photographer. Taking photos is part of my trade so I don't mind taking em and posting.

I've got a pretty good book on Florida marine estuary life. I'll look through it later and describe in better detail some of the different crabs found in Florida which are commonly used as bait. :thumright:
Last edited by SnookMook on Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master-Baiter
Old Salt

Post by Master-Baiter »

Ooops, sorry SnookMook, we were posting at the same time. I have no doubt your pics will far surpass these. [edited in after posting]

Got to love Google Images. Got these images there, so it's a start for those that use them for bait, have knowledge, etc.

Blue

Fiddler

Calico

Red

And my personal favorite, the popular "Cake" :)

Master Baiter

SnookMook
KING MACKEREL

Post by SnookMook »

MB--Thanks for posting. I actually didn't have photos of some of those. I love the last one LOL :uplol: :toast:

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

FYI- those blue land crabs are protected. Not sure of their season but I can tell you they get thick all over Daina beach blvd and will cost you a tire if you are not careful.

T Nat
Fisher

Post by T Nat »

anybody know where to buy live blue claw crabs and when?

jighead
Old Salt

Post by jighead »

Call Anglins bait in Daina. There is a thread started for more info look for "bait shop info" hope this helps.

origami2
Fisher

Re: CRABS

Post by origami2 »

hey guys first post.

Are those fiddler crabs safe to handle by hand. Does that one claw do much damage? Are frozen blue crab claws good to use for bait for surf fishing.

By the way I'm in Palm Coast Fl and mostly surf fish on beach and beach piers.

Frogfish101
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Frogfish101 »

Just pinch off the large claw when fishing them.
"Our lives are defined by the sum of our ventures into the unknown."
-Juro Mukai

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

are there any good places to harvest fiddler crabs around anglin/pompano/dania?

aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Post by aha14750 »

mil7950 wrote:are there any good places to harvest fiddler crabs around anglin/pompano/dania?

Low tide near mangroves you'll see fiddlers around the exposed sand popping out of their holes. I used to catch them around John U Lloyd as a kid but haven't tried to in over 10 years. If you do go let me know if they are still out there please :thumleft:

mil7950
Weekend Warrior

Post by mil7950 »

I'm hoping to go out to Anglin or Pompano tomorrow, I'll give it a look. Thanks!

aha14750
Weekend Warrior

Post by aha14750 »

Good luck, might try port everglades with some blue crabs this weekend. Well see.

fldoowop
Seasoned Fisher

Post by fldoowop »

Sorry, I just don't get it.....

What happens when you put the picture of the crab on your hook and cast it into the water ????
Seems like it will get soggy and just fall off :(

Is there a trick to getting the picture of the crab to stay on the hook or do you need a picture of a particular kind of crab ???
Sorry, it's been a while since I posted on BF :)

Serious question: Walmart sells frozen crabs.
Is that OK or are live crabs better just like live shrimp as opposed to frozen shrimp.
Someday I'll catch the big one.

lkatze2
Seasoned Fisher

Post by lkatze2 »

you need to use laminated pictures, they last a lot longer

live crabs are always better, but if you can only get frozen and that is what you want to use for bait, then go with the frozen.

Leadslinger
Old Salt

Post by Leadslinger »

Hahahahahahahahahaha best line I've read in a long while

Green Tide
SHARKER

Post by Green Tide »

What is the best bait to use for catching blue crabs? I think chicken is the most popular used by roadside crabbers using string and a dip net. If so What is the best piece of chicken to use.
I'm not talking about eating size I want Bait size

You shoulda been here yesterday!!!

boriqua187
Fisher

Post by boriqua187 »

chicken necks, they r durable and cheap and the crabs cant just take the meat off, that is just from my experience.

Return to “Bait Bucket”