surf guy needs help

Help to add helpful posts on catching specific species.
snookless31
Fisher

surf guy needs help

Post by snookless31 »

Hello Guys N Gals..I am new to florida Fishing,I am from Brooklyn New York and the only fishing I have done is Surf,waders and or cleats if bottom was ridged,plus Montauk etc.I would certainly Love to experience surf fishing here in florida,I am not so young anymore(65) But I can walk which means I can fish :reeling: My Question: I am in Deerfield,and I have all the plugs I have used up north,i have to feel they will work here as well,i would like if you have the time to teach me some surf spots or areas to fish,beach or bay.....snook I would love to tackle,pompano seems like a good choice as well....but actually id appreciate any info on surf fishing and the seasons best for these fish or any other info you can offer.Better yet Id like to meet any surf fisfermen who would like an occasional fishing bud to fish with.I don't need to learn to fish I can handle all that,i am truly a fish outa water here.I was a huge striper guy up north strictly using buctails maybe an pencil or popper once in a while.I do not want to bait fish although I am not totally against it.
I want to thank you ahead of time for any info or knowledge you can share,regards,
Pat Murphy

Surfcaster
Fisher

Re: surf guy needs help

Post by Surfcaster »

Hi Pat:
Welcome to FL. I fish the surf in southern broward county. Bucktails, tins, and soft baits all work well. I also have a ton of poppers from my NY days but rarely use them. Recently have been fly fishing - lots of fun. Just head to the beach where fishing is allowed and start walking and looking for fish and bait moving. No need for waders...good luck...

fishnfool73
AMBASSADOR to the... BF FORUM

Post by fishnfool73 »

Research snook fishing. This is as close to stripers fishing you can get to down here. Same basic fishing techniques and hunting techniques.
Dreaming the dream that one day I can be as good as some of the boatless pros and catch some 12 inch mangrove snapper.

kblue
SHARKER

Post by kblue »

I used to be sandy hook fisherman...
Fishing in S FL is different.

Early in the morning, if you can find the school of baits, then your chance is good...I won't use anything larger than the size of bait... I prefer soft bait to hard bait... also try cuda tube on the pier... it is fun to catch and release...kids at pier with daddy rods know what they are doing...you could see how they react with baits and big fish...

Best time for your kinda fishing is definitely fall when mullet migration starts...

CELLFISH
Weekend Warrior

Post by CELLFISH »

Hey Snooky, I'm a retired snowbird for the last 4 years from the south beaches of the great state of Long Island. Anyway I had a strange time getting adjusted to the fishing scene here, snooks, jacks, a lot of sharks, bluefish are here, not as big as back home., but if ya experienced it shouldn't take too long to catch on... Oh yeah these bait fisherman on the SEF beaches have these little brown bugs they use called mole crabs lol, to get some pompano they favo in the wash... , I m sure the summer isn't a fav time to fish beaches here, it's more so in the cooler months, just keep reading the website and scroll through everything... Good luck... Oh yeah my 35 beach fishing did me good... keep those point sharp... Cellfish...

This beast here made my season last January 2017, 35# Jack Crevalle on 20# mono, most memorable...better than 4 10# bluefish put together.... I'm also posting here cause I hear the man is deleting zero im'posters....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last bumped by CELLFISH on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:12 pm.
... sand under my bare feet is better than subway steps with steel toe boots on ...

Return to “Snook Info”