Trolley Rig

Post your How to Storys-Articles here and please only How To's related to Boatless Fishing.
fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Trolley Rig

Post by fishandchicks »

here is a diagram of a trolley rig i made.

swordfish
SHARKER

Post by swordfish »

God I love this website so much! LOL Awesome! Thank you! I never knew how exactly to do it! Now Im gonna try it with some of the big macks hanging around, should be interesting!

-Swordfish

screamendrag
Seasoned Fisher

Post by screamendrag »

yo zack one of these days we gotta do some northern trollyen either at anglins or deerfeild. If you want biig kings thats the way to go :D

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Re: Trolley Rig

Post by Cookinman »

[quote="fishandchicks"]here is a diagram of a trolley rig i made.

I am very glad you fund out how to post this.
It is a perfect diagram !

thanks !
TEAM 'COOKIN' :
:chef: "Still building 'em one BAITCATCHER at a time " :chef:

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

So Im wondering if one put a 8 or 10 inch goggle eye on this rig does it swim up and down the line? Does it tangle? Man this is like fishing rocket science. I have never seen this done. Does braid work better? Does it frey the line??

rsieminski
Seasoned Fisher

Post by rsieminski »

Great diagram! I am curious too. When should you use this rig? It looks best for live bait. Maybe?

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

ya live bait is best but i have seen it work with dead bollyhoos. usually a big gog will go strait out but it will sometimes go to the sides and tangle your neighbor's line.

DeezNuts
Seasoned Fisher

Post by DeezNuts »

Dead sardines also work really well on trolleys (especially when live bait is hard to come by).

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Boca Jetty Rat wrote:So Im wondering if one put a 8 or 10 inch goggle eye on this rig does it swim up and down the line? Does it tangle? Man this is like fishing rocket science. I have never seen this done. Does braid work better? Does it frey the line??
Yes.

No.

...lol

It is how ALL the Kings at DFP are caught.

No, but it works. Most folks do it with mono. I am still spooled with braid from my summer yak rigging ( Speed jigs ) so I just use what I have.

Ya, a little not not too much since ther is no pressure untill a fish is hooked, but the pressure is at the end of the braid.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

ricky9
Old Salt

Post by ricky9 »

just curious...has anyone tried this rig on a boat?...

frentals
KING MACKEREL

Post by frentals »

If you guys are talking about braid as your main line for a trolley it will work, but if theres a lot of people trolleying or really windy the braid will be flying everywhere and major tangles.
facebook.com/landsharkfishing
youtube.com/landsharkfishingtv

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snakehead terror »

ricky9 wrote:just curious...has anyone tried this rig on a boat?...
You kinda have to be high up for the bait to slide down, and the weight has to be on the bottom. No, it wouldnt work on a boat.
BEAST
snapperkiller

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

frentals wrote:or really windy the braid will be flying everywhere and major tangles.
Actually Braid offers less wind and water resistance than Mono.
The reason folks that trolley have their stuff flying about is not enought weight, usually.....OR they use a 6 oz barrel instead of a Pyramid. If it is so windy braid is being blown up, mono will be blowing 2 x as much.

Braid DOES suck to try to untangle though. When it happens to me provided it is more than just a 1 or 2 X wrap, I just cut my own and retie.
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

So the snap swivel has to be preaty tuff to not come open on a large fish.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

thats what the bead is for. if the swivel can ride all the way down to the weight there is a peossibillity that it could open. you have to use a rather large bead though because a small bead will do the same thing.

Cookinman
FORUM CHEF "RETIRED"

Post by Cookinman »

Boca Jetty Rat wrote:So the snap swivel has to be preaty tuff to not come open on a large fish.
You can buy them # test rated
TEAM 'COOKIN' :

ricky9
Old Salt

Post by ricky9 »

Rijkaard wrote:I use 3 snelled Jhooks and a little sinker (1/8 - 1/4 of an ounce) sliding on the wire on a trolley too, it's good especially with live or dead hoos and it works also on the boat while drifting for kings, aj's, tails and even muttons coming up from the bottom (just take off the main sinker and tie the main line directly to the wire), think they call it carolina rig or something similar
kind of like what they supply u with at party boats?...

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

i changed it a little. i have seen more and more people doing this at deerfield.

Boca Jetty Rat
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Boca Jetty Rat »

I have a problem with this set up. The bait dosent go down the line like its supposed to. I think what is forgotten to be said here is that current helps and you have to cast with the current??? I havnt been able to get this to work yet.

fishandchicks
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by fishandchicks »

when you clip the bait on, pick up the rod and bounce it, this will get the bait out away from the pier. if the bait starts swimming out, put your rod tip down. this makes it easier for him to swim down the line. if he dousent swim out, keep bouncing the rod up and down till he does. it is harder to get dead baits out but if you bounce the rod you can get it out a good distance.

PhishingPhanatic
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by PhishingPhanatic »

I was poking around the Skyway pier message board and someone used your trolley diagram...

http://www.skywaypiers.com/discus/messa ... 1207791038[/url]

patrickmeagher7
Seasoned Fisher

Post by patrickmeagher7 »

What lb test does everyone usually use for the mainline in a trolly sometimes i use really light like 20 but i'm thinking everyone is probably in the 30-50 lb range. So what doe you all use?

snakehead terror
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by snakehead terror »

patrickmeagher7 wrote:What lb test does everyone usually use for the mainline in a trolly sometimes i use really light like 20 but i'm thinking everyone is probably in the 30-50 lb range. So what doe you all use?
most people use around 25-40. mostly 25
BEAST
snapperkiller

kngfshman
KING MACKEREL

Post by kngfshman »

25-30
GET THE GAFF!!!

PBFisher
Seasoned Fisher

Re: Trolley Rig

Post by PBFisher »

All very interesting, but this rig is not very stealthy looking. I'm thinking you must need pretty choppy water to get away with all that hardware. I made two rigs like those guys in the video, but I didn't like that double wire leader going to the swivel. I made another with 2 hooks in line. I'm gonna try them tomorrow if I can drag my bones out of bed really early. :sunny:

Return to “How To's Articles”