Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge - Fishing Report 1/29/11

Boatless Fishing Reports for Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Boynton, Delray, Juno.
Martin County, Hobe Sound, Indian town, Port Mayaki
Post Reply
User avatar
mannyman
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge - Fishing Report 1/29/11

Post by mannyman »

Well the fishing at Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge wasn't very productive, but not from my lack of trying. I started fishing from shore with top water plugs and shrimp on a dropper loop with a tear drop weight at the bottom. I then tried a white fluke on lead jig head. I switched the shrimp rig to poping cork with the shrimp on a small wire hook with a small split shot. I changed the fluke to DOA shrimp of different colors, but still no luck. I lost the shrimp to what I think were pin fish because the bite was very light. This was the only thing caught all day. I believe that the only other fisherman on the shore also caught a lady fish, but that was it. The wind switched around to the north and I had to move when the tide went out enough to carry my stuff south around the point so that the wind was crossing my cast and not straight in my face. I ended up wading out to near the boat channel, and yes the water was very cold. As you can see any closer and I would be swimming. As it was I had to retreat every time a large boat came by. The first one washed out our stuff on the shore. Thank God there was higher ground that we were able to move our stuff to. These pictures were taken by my brother Laz who fished with me. Well better luck next time.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

User avatar
mannyman
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Re: Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge - Fishing Report 1/2

Post by mannyman »

The pictures didn't get added, so have compressed them and I hope that will do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

User avatar
Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:11 am
Location: Former SE - Now Sarasota

Re: Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge - Fishing Report 1/2

Post by Bluefish in ny »

I have a question... oh, nice report... :)...... It looks like to me, that the spot is more "sand" than a grass flat? Where you fishing grass flats or just a gradual slope into a channel?
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

User avatar
mannyman
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Re: Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge - Fishing Report 1/2

Post by mannyman »

Bluefish in ny wrote:I have a question... oh, nice report... :)...... It looks like to me, that the spot is more "sand" than a grass flat? Where you fishing grass flats or just a gradual slope into a channel?

Both. At the beginning of the day I fished the grass flat with all the different combinations metioned above. Near midday I wadded out to the channel and mostly fished the drop off with a live shrimp under a popping cork with a small split shot.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

User avatar
Bluefish in ny
GOLIATH GROUPER
Posts: 1025
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:11 am
Location: Former SE - Now Sarasota

Re: Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge - Fishing Report 1/2

Post by Bluefish in ny »

Cool... I've had days out there on the flat(s) where only the warmest part of the day produced... Seems like alot of the fish pull back into the canals when it cold.
My posts are just my opinion... Gathered from my research and my experiences in this passion we all share.. Dont hate if my opinion differs from yours... We all have opinions just like butt holes

User avatar
mannyman
Weekend Warrior
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:23 pm
Location: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Re: Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge - Fishing Report 1/2

Post by mannyman »

Bluefish in ny wrote:Cool... I've had days out there on the flat(s) where only the warmest part of the day produced... Seems like alot of the fish pull back into the canals when it cold.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear that I'm not the only one that has been frustrated by the nonproductiveness of the cold weather.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

Post Reply

Return to “Palm Beach and Martin Countys”